57 Channels and nothing on

Marina's Rolls Royce

Last three games:

yes 3 losses but....

54 shots on goal

17 shots on target

20 corners

1 Goal

I know there's quite a bit of chatter about defence but 20 corners and no goals from any of them tells me that whilst we're losing matches by the smallest of margins - our real problems lie elsewhere.

Are we being incredibly unlucky? are we gonna smash someone 7-0 soon? It's such a tiny line between our success and failure that I'm struggling to understand what's happening. When we were in the play offs- I was unconvinced we were that good . But now we've dropped into the bottom half- I'm equally as unconvinced that we're that bad.

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I don't know about the 7-0, but I have the slight inkling that we'll beat Ipswich 5-3.  Three goals arrive from corners, 2 from the penalty spot, even Bobby Reid nets a couple.  Freeman bags 3 assists.

What a game we have in store!

Let's hope so although on current stats we'll need 270 attempts on goal and 100 corners in our next game to get 5.

37 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Last three games:

yes 3 losses but....

54 shots on goal

17 shots on target

20 corners

1 Goal

I know there's quite a bit of chatter about defence but 20 corners and no goals from any of them tells me that whilst we're losing matches by the smallest of margins - our real problems lie elsewhere.

Are we being incredibly unlucky? are we gonna smash someone 7-0 soon? It's such a tiny line between our success and failure that I'm struggling to understand what's happening. When we were in the play offs- I was unconvinced we were that good . But now we've dropped into the bottom half- I'm equally as unconvinced that we're that bad.

On average, a goal is scored roughly every 30-35 corners so I really don't understand what is bad about 0 in 20.

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

On average, a goal is scored roughly every 30-35 corners so I really don't understand what is bad about 0 in 20.

Really? Well, that's great news- only another 10 to go then.

.......Just checked and it seems you're right. I guess all these years watching City concede from corners made me think the average was higher. :blink:

I also checked average goals v shots on target which seems to be approx 1:3  whereas ours is currently 1:17 

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Really? Well, that's great news- only another 10 to go then.

.......Just checked and it seems you're right. I guess all these years watching City concede from corners made me think the average was higher. :blink:

I also checked average goals v shots on target which seems to be approx 1:3  whereas ours is currently 1:17 

Don't disagree that our shooting is pathetic.  1 in 5 struck cleanly from what I can see!

7 hours ago, RedDave said:

Wow, that's surprisingly low!

Does that include delayed goals from panicky goalmouth scrambles/failure to clear etc or is that only goals where an assist can be directly attributed to the corner taker?

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Wow, that's surprisingly low!

Does that include delayed goals from panicky goalmouth scrambles/failure to clear etc or is that only goals where an assist can be directly attributed to the corner taker?

That is same passage of play.  Direct assists are about 1 in 60 and only 16% of corners result in a genuine attempt on target (again passage of play) although 46% of corners are touched next by a player from the same team.

As 1 in 30-35 is an average you will no doubt get teams scoring 1/20 and then teams scoring 1/50-60.  

What do the former teams do differently?  I have no idea but would guess inventiveness is a factor.  We do seem to just clip it into the box and hope for the best.

37 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That is same passage of play.  Direct assists are about 1 in 60 and only 16% of corners result in a genuine attempt on target (again passage of play) although 46% of corners are touched next by a player from the same team.

As 1 in 30-35 is an average you will no doubt get teams scoring 1/20 and then teams scoring 1/50-60.  

What do the former teams do differently?  I have no idea but would guess inventiveness is a factor.  We do seem to just clip it into the box and hope for the best.

Interesting stats. I thought the rate would be low but that's much lower than I'd realised.

We're lucky to score 1/60 from open play, let alone corners!

Archived