IGNORED

Bypassing the Midfield

MyBrotherErnie

Is it just me that's noticed how in recent weeks we've reverted to Cotts-style long balls from the back, and we look completely invisible in midfield? Especially against Reading, we were dominated in the midfield, gave them far too much space to build moves, and failed to link more than 3 or 4 passes together. Seeing as out wide is our problem position, I don't see why we don't just switch to a diamond in midfield, and try and keep hold of the ball more.

Reading also had this problem second half against us, they certainly didn't dominate us second half. Seemed to me we had problems finishing rather than creating the chances at Reading. We looked cautious until they scored and then suddenly started closing them down!

The long ball also seemed to work more when wilbs came on, agree though at times it looks like we can't get forward quick enough. It seems every oppostion get up and down quicker than us! I fear with the diamond formation we get overrun in the middle. Have we won a game with the diamond yet?

1 hour ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Is it just me that's noticed how in recent weeks we've reverted to Cotts-style long balls from the back, and we look completely invisible in midfield? Especially against Reading, we were dominated in the midfield, gave them far too much space to build moves, and failed to link more than 3 or 4 passes together. Seeing as out wide is our problem position, I don't see why we don't just switch to a diamond in midfield, and try and keep hold of the ball more.

'Cotts style' 

We played some of the best football I've ever seen us play under Cotterill so not sure why that's in there. 

24 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

'Cotts style' 

We played some of the best football I've ever seen us play under Cotterill so not sure why that's in there. 

In League One yes, but in the Championship I lost count of the number of times Flint (and others) launched a ball out for a throw in, or up to Wilbraham, which almost always resulted in a turnover in possession and the breakdown of a potential attack.

6 minutes ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

In League One yes, but in the Championship I lost count of the number of times Flint (and others) launched a ball out for a throw in, or up to Wilbraham, which almost always resulted in a turnover in possession and the breakdown of a potential attack.

We played it out from the back with Ayling and Williams for the most part though. Think that's where we ended up getting caught out by being outplayed by sides cause we didn't have good enough players.

Still for me was an unnecessary dig at a manager who had us playing far better football than O'Driscoll, Millen & McInnes.

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

We played it out from the back with Ayling and Williams for the most part though. Think that's where we ended up getting caught out by being outplayed by sides cause we didn't have good enough players.

Still for me was an unnecessary dig at a manager who had us playing far better football than O'Driscoll, Millen & McInnes.

Not sure about McInnes, it was rather exciting to see how many we might concede!!

Archived