IGNORED

Wilbs

glynriley

Might have missed it (Iv'e had a few)

Thought he deserved his own thread though. All this can't play 2 up top, dot dot dash dash fella malarkey.

Great today, gave that number 6 as good as he got and freed up space for the rest of the side to play in,

Well done big man

Wilbs was excellent all game today. 

Amazed to see him finish the game after putting in the work he did throughout. 

Especially at 2-0 up I expected Engval to get some minutes, but maybe Wilbs just didn't want to take a rest. 

23 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

Let's be honest, good as he was, with the standards of modern refereeing, he was lucky not to get a red for that 'tackle' early on. It was a bit naughty.

It was, but credit to Wilbs for being careful to avoid another yellow. Every time he jumped, he was keeping his arms down, but he still flicked on a few.

City were better with him playing up front with Abraham, but he's got to only be a temporary solution. As much as he contributes, he's got no pace and hasn't got the sharpness in the box to score many goals. We need a new forward in January, unless suddenly Engvall breaks into the team 

10 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Let's be honest, good as he was, with the standards of modern refereeing, he was lucky not to get a red for that 'tackle' early on. It was a bit naughty.

He literally didn't touch the bloke. 

Chased down, was late with the tackle, which was slightly high, but with no reckless intent, but there was no contact.

Their player more than made a meal of it. 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He literally didn't touch the bloke. 

Chased down, was late with the tackle, which was slightly high, but with no reckless intent, but there was no contact.

Their player more than made a meal of it. 

That`s what I thought at the time, albeit from the SS, but it was a bit on the reckless side so a booking was probably fair. Their player has to jump like he did though just in case it was `on target` and it breaks his leg.

33 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s what I thought at the time, albeit from the SS, but it was a bit on the reckless side so a booking was probably fair. Their player has to jump like he did though just in case it was `on target` and it breaks his leg.

Agreed. I didn't have an issue with the yellow card. I had an issue with their players reaction, making out that it had broken his leg. It was right in front of us in Dolman E33 (B block) and he didn't touch him. 

Booking was fair for being late and a bit high though. 

I wondered how long it would be before most of our game was going to be punting long balls upto him, turned out about 12 minutes.

Two key moments were when he had both defenders coming for him, and any sort of ball would have had Tammy through 1 v 1 with the keeper. Wilbs decided to make the pass with the outside of his foot, in a casual manner - the ball did not reach Tammy, it did not have enough pace to travel more than a few feet. He also was on the end of a cross, empty net and shot would have been a goal, he instead spins to help the ball travel the length of the goal to Tammy who missed because he simple was not expecting it.

I was really surprised not see Engvall, Wilbs is a old wise head - which I think is the reason he played, but how many chances did we actually have in the game ? We had a penalty and wonder goal, but it really looked like 2 pretty poor sides, playing poor football.

I hope he's offered some sort of coaching role at the club. The young forwards can learn a lot from him . Football ways and attitude ways . Like AW a lot . When we signed him didn't really have a lot of expectation but he's proved me wrong massively. Been fantastic for city wish he was 10 years younger 

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agreed. I didn't have an issue with the yellow card. I had an issue with their players reaction, making out that it had broken his leg. It was right in front of us in Dolman E33 (B block) and he didn't touch him. 

Booking was fair for being late and a bit high though. 

Terrible simulation from the Ipswich lad. 

The ref obviously bought it though, which is why with a late, two-footed, studs up challenge I was relieved Wilbs didn't get a red.

Notice how the ref didn't seem too bothered about that guy remaining on the pitch, but in the second half he pointlessly made Korey stay on the sideline for about 30 seconds while play went on. And to think some nurk on Radio Bristol reckoned that they were the best officials he had seen at the Gate all season. :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The ref obviously bought it though, which is why with a late, two-footed, studs up challenge I was relieved Wilbs didn't get a red.

Notice how the ref didn't seem too bothered about that guy remaining on the pitch, but in the second half he pointlessly made Korey stay on the sideline for about 30 seconds while play went on. And to think some nurk on Radio Bristol reckoned that they were the best officials he had seen at the Gate all season. :facepalm:

I think the ref probably was the best we've seen this season. Shows what the other lot were like..! 

16 hours ago, shelts said:

Love Wilbs,  he did ok today. For him to start shows a lack of squad depth and that LJ has concerns about Engell. 

I don't think so.

Ipswich are a typical Mick McCarthy side with two lumps at CB, Wilbs was there to take- and give- some of the battering they would inevitably try and dish out.

Would have been senseless to send out Engvall for that job.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

I think the ref probably was the best we've seen this season. Shows what the other lot were like..! 

He gave us one penalty, but anyone who can blow for offside (when Tammy got the ball clear) on the basis that Freeman (who was nowhere near play and not affecting it) was offside doesn't get my vote.

And what was that with the 30-yard run to check on Frankie's laces!!!?

Bloke was a prima donna.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

isn't that because when a player is booked the 'injured' player doesn't have to go off?

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I don't think so.

Ipswich are a typical Mick McCarthy side with two lumps at CB, Wilbs was there to take- and give- some of the battering they would inevitably try and dish out.

Would have been senseless to send out Engvall for that job.

Play to feet and get in behind. don't need a big target man anymore the way we play, he certainly wasn't dominant in the air far from it

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

isn't that because when a player is booked the 'injured' player doesn't have to go off?

Really? If it is then I bow to your superior knowledge although I can't really see why that rule is in place. 

And it doesn't explain why Korey was kept waiting for so long after play had resumed.

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Play to feet and get in behind. don't need a big target man anymore the way we play, he certainly wasn't dominant in the air far from it

You need an alternative to when the ball to feet doesn't work, that's what Wilbs is.

Again, not necessarily about being dominant in the air, but to take some of the hits to protect the other striker, much like how Cotterill used him last year with Kodjia

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

You need an alternative to when the ball to feet doesn't work, that's what Wilbs is.

Again, not necessarily about being dominant in the air, but to take some of the hits to protect the other striker, much like how Cotterill used him last year with Kodjia

fair point you need players who can adapt to different tactics during the game. We need another forward for sure, think Engvall is more crocked than we first thought

Archived