IGNORED

Holding at corners

gordie

What happened to the directive of punishing players for holding/pulling the opponent at corners and free kicks, yesterday IMO the ref had a shocker with this and let players get away with it all the time. I know some will say it's all part of the game but should it be? Personally I hate it and the sooner they clamp down on it the better

The issue is where you set 'the line'.

The foul on Tammy was a pen (notwithstanding it wasn't a goalscoring opp). The incident shortly after was also a pen IMO, but when you give that, you've set the bar. On a similar basis, if you don't give it, you've set the bar the other way. Its possible that had the ref (who I think was a bright young hope a couple of years ago but then gave a goal that went wide at Watford) would have given the pen had he not given the prior - its a brave man who gives two that quickly, but when one was given he shied away from the second and that then set the bar for the rest of the game at too high a level for a penalty to be given.

Happens all the time with refs - should Wilbs have been booked in the first five for dissent yesterday (yes). But when he didn't, he set that bar. Worked in our favour as Wilbs would then have been off in the first fifteen.

51 minutes ago, gordie said:

What happened to the directive of punishing players for holding/pulling the opponent at corners and free kicks, yesterday IMO the ref had a shocker with this and let players get away with it all the time. I know some will say it's all part of the game but should it be? Personally I hate it and the sooner they clamp down on it the better

I agree, it's one of many things I currently hate about football

In fact I'm beginning to wonder why I actually watch it these days

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The issue is where you set 'the line'.

The foul on Tammy was a pen (notwithstanding it wasn't a goalscoring opp). The incident shortly after was also a pen IMO, but when you give that, you've set the bar. On a similar basis, if you don't give it, you've set the bar the other way. Its possible that had the ref (who I think was a bright young hope a couple of years ago but then gave a goal that went wide at Watford) would have given the pen had he not given the prior - its a brave man who gives two that quickly, but when one was given he shied away from the second and that then set the bar for the rest of the game at too high a level for a penalty to be given.

Happens all the time with refs - should Wilbs have been booked in the first five for dissent yesterday (yes). But when he didn't, he set that bar. Worked in our favour as Wilbs would then have been off in the first fifteen.

I get what your saying but it's not just this ref it's nearly all of them that let players get away with it, I'm pretty sure if the refs carried out the directive and started giving penalties it would soon stop, yes you may have a few games at the start of the season when there may be 2 or 3 penalties given but not for long, just grates me when I see this happening especially as they have the backing to try and stop it.

The problem is its not always the defending side doing the holding, the attacker looks to gain an advantage too. So in the ref's eyes must be difficult to see whos doing what so he gives it 50/50 and therefore no decision.

Perhaps say to the players nothing will be given for holding or pulling in the box either way, so they can get on with there stupid wrestling matches, perhaps when they realise they're not gettingan advantage either way they'll stop.

Archived