IGNORED

Oh dear Frankie

coxyboy

Feels as if people have been waiting for this moment to come. Ready to get on his back. 

Had a shocker for the second, but like others have said his save kept us in it. 

You cant drop a keeper every time they make a mistake. Would be ridiculous & the keepers would be too nervous every game. O'Donnell was poor in a few games, then got dropped which was the correct decision. 

Frankie your a complete tosser but your forgiven here ( for now ). Concentrate man . You're running out of credits and I think you were given a few more than ROD. 

Anyway it's ridiculous dropping players for every mistake so start making it impossible for this conversation to come up again or at least quite a while. 

Really like FF , For his personality as much as anything and will him to do well but ....

What concerns me more than his questionable kicking skills is his decision making 

In both the goal and the handball outside the box his decision making and subsequent panic are concerning

Good clear decisions vital for a keeper and decisions like today are likely to affect his general decision making.

Dont think it's any coincidence that his best asset is his reactions - His decision making dealing with anything requiring him to make a positive decision and giving him time seems to be the weakness

So, this Lucic. Has anyone other than those who went to Fulham in the cup actually seen enough of him play to be able to confidently suggest that he's definitely the best keeper on our books?

There seems to be an assumption that because he was at Bayern Munich, he must be good.

I should add that I've never seen him play myself, aside from the brief highlights of Fulham, so I genuinely don't know how good he is.

We still have too many who are not good enough consistently for the Championship. That's why we keep throwing points away like confetti at a wedding.

Neither FF or ROD are good enough for this league and if I was LJ, I'd have Lucic in next Tuesday and tell him he's got the job at least until January and depending on how he does,  find either a new number one or another good young promising keeper as his number two. 

I really don't rate fielding but if you drop him for Lucic what happens when Lucic makes his first mistake? Go back to ROD? Fielding isn't ideal at this level but he can occasionally pull out a worldie save to save us. I think stick with him until he has another terrible game then think about Lucic. 

5 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It wasn't exactly pinged at him,if he can't just lump that pass with his right foot something is wrong

EXACTLY. Frank can not kick with his right foot. We all know that including Smith and Matthews. Bugger me if I can see it then why do our defence not know it. FF should have gone for the hand ball shocking he was put in the position twice even more shocking he can't give it a bit of welly on his right in desperate times. 

He made two maybe three great saves and then buggers it all up. 

But step forward Smith and Matthews you helped. 

Dropped yeah maybe this is worse than odonnell and he can't even make the bench!!

that said the ref was awful for both teams and Tammy was away having done nothing but win the ball. 

Gutted to have lost like that then having to listen to platitudes post match. Our best player was Goldbourne who was left ridiculously exposed in the first half. Bryan coming on helped a lot but any midfield that can't cover on the left side is utter crap. Bryan to start Tuesday in front of Goldbourne Tomlin in the middle. Why do I even bother. It's bloody obvious!  

6 hours ago, coxyboy said:

You must not have seen the cock  up's over last two seasons then? Hence why Cotts got ROD

ROD was brought in 1) for competition and 2) more importantly, because Frank got injured v West Brom.

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What cock ups? Occasional errors maybe, but show me a second-tier keeper that doesn't make occasional errors. I can't recall FF making a significant error this season until today. ROD was brought in because we needed more numbers and decent competition.

FF.....?

Fraser Forster.....maybe it's not a good month for a keeper to have initials FF.  Did you see his last week v Palace? :shifty:

6 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Shocking mistake but he made some top class saves to keep us in it . All keepers make mistakes at times. Let's be fair most of the rest of them had poor games with their keeper not tested so let's not heap all of the blame on fielding. I'd keep him in on Tuesday. 

Me too.

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

So, this Lucic. Has anyone other than those who went to Fulham in the cup actually seen enough of him play to be able to confidently suggest that he's definitely the best keeper on our books?

There seems to be an assumption that because he was at Bayern Munich, he must be good.

I should add that I've never seen him play myself, aside from the brief highlights of Fulham, so I genuinely don't know how good he is.

Didn't go to Fulham

I have spent each of our home games watching him in the warm ups.  Got a great view from the West Stand.  Difficult to tell, but he's not orthodox, lots of feet involved in his shot stopping, and typically continental in pushing the ball away instead of catching.

I don't think he's far off getting a chance, two home games would be a good opportunity, but we need to be careful.  Where do you go if he messes up.  I'd stick with Frank, but play Ivan in the FAC.

4 hours ago, redmycolour said:

They didn't show it on sky. should Frankie been a straight RED.why did the ref consult the lino.does anyone know.

I thought it might have been to get views on whether it was really "through on goal": there was a red shirt close to the incident, hard to see from the other end but possibly considered Frankie wasn't the last man and the discussion was about that. 

The problem is people only ever remember the last mistake that leads to a goal. There is a number of mistakes that takes place before the goal, Like the Sidwell goal for Brighton. I think it was O'Neil played a over hit pass to Smith witch cost him to mis-control the ball witch then lead to the goal. Why should ROD be blamed for that? Yes he was off his line but you don't expect your mid-field to lose the ball so easily and there guy to shoot so far out. Then today Smith plays a bouncing pass to his keeper with a striker between him and his keeper. Smith's decision making in that goal was just as bad as Frankie's.

2 hours ago, BrizzleBelter said:

The problem is people only ever remember the last mistake that leads to a goal. There is a number of mistakes that takes place before the goal, Like the Sidwell goal for Brighton. I think it was O'Neil played a over hit pass to Smith witch cost him to mis-control the ball witch then lead to the goal. Why should ROD be blamed for that? Yes he was off his line but you don't expect your mid-field to lose the ball so easily and there guy to shoot so far out. Then today Smith plays a bouncing pass to his keeper with a striker between him and his keeper. Smith's decision making in that goal was just as bad as Frankie's.

Yes it was as bad. Bobbled a back pass toward his wrong foot causing FF to make a horrendous ricket. Much like Matthews forcing him to handle the ball outside the area. Point is FF is a pro learn to kick with both feet and trap a football. Until he does try not to give it to him or drop him. 

FF is know for his ...... uumm inconsistent kicking, not the wisest of passes but , if FF takes it first time with his right then no problem and we have a point. That said ROD allowed to make a few mistakes before he was dropped, got another chance and conceded a poor looking goal (I think he was a little unlucky). FF does not command his box, and I think the defence still look unsure infront of him. He has made a few howlers during his city career, but he tends to spread them out. If we were able to choose, Frankie would not be in goal. ROD can command his box, has looked better with the ball at his feet but he's had a run of poor (and similar ) mistakes. Lucic could be the future, he could actually be the present, but I think we need to bring him in slowly. FA cup and maybe towards the end of the season when we are solidly mid table . Frankie will continue imo, he's been in and out all through his City career and now I think he's just keeping (:shifty:) the spot warm for a long term No 1, hopefully Lucic. 

First of all the mistake yesterday, at the game I actually thought Smith was just as much to blame for his pass as Fielding was. However after seeing it on TV it really was comical. The pass from Smith isn't perfect by any means, but it's absolutely fine and why Fielding is trying to work it onto his left foot is genuinely impossible to understand.

As for whether Fielding is good enough in a broader sense I have to admit that my view of him is slightly distorted as he makes me so nervy. I actually accept that a lot of the time in reality he probably has complete control over the situation, but to me he always looks so indecisive that I'm almost expecting a mistake and I wonder what effect his slightly panicky manner has on the defence. The one in the first half yesterday that leads to them appealing for a penalty from Flint on Wells sums him up for me. Now Flint could and possibly should have dealt with it a long time before he did, but Fielding faints to come off his line and then doesn't 3 or 4 times which puts Flint in a terrible situation. 'Indecision is final' as Alan Hansen used to say most Saturday nights.

Just compare his ability to receive the ball and keep possession with the two keepers we've played in the last two away games in Al-Habsi at Reading and Ward yesterday. When we pressed those teams and force them back to the keeper, they readily accept it and just play out the other side retaining possession, in the first half yesterday we played it back to Fielding and he kicks it out for a throw in mid way in our half and in the second half the ball ends up in the net.  

Now I must admit that the whole 'good shot stopper' thing is somewhat of a myth in my opinion. It may be slightly cynical, but I expect professional goalkeepers to be able to make saves. I'm guilty of being pretty critical of our keepers over the last however many years, but with the exception of Parrish all of them could make good saves from time to time. In the first half yesterday Fielding made a really, really good save. But does he dominate a box? Does he retain possession with his feet? Does he instill confidence in the backline? Does he come and take pressure off by catching the ball? Does he make clinical decisions coming off his line?

I would actually say that while I'll again admit that he always makes me nervy, he's actually done OK since he got back in the team and was rightly given man of the match on his first game back against Derby, but for me, just like RO'D he isn't good enough for this level, is a bit of an accident waiting to happen and we need an improvement between the sticks. What Johnson does Tuesday is difficult though as I don't think dropping a keeper for one error is any way the correct thing to do.

As an aside, we're incredibly flattered that we're able to feel that we can blame for Fielding for yesterday's defeat as we fully deserved to lose and probably by a fair few more than one goal.

Regardless of how nice he might be, or even how good at ahot stopping he is, he fills me with dread every time he kicks the ball. That's not good enough at this level.

He must get slaughtered after that performance. Those were sunday league mistakes!

I don't there is any question of LeeJ dropping Frankie. He has said he's a 'good lad' and 'has held his hand up and appologised for his mistake'. Doesn't sound anything other than he's been forgiven and we will move on to the next match from what I read into that.

Archived