IGNORED

Why so charitable?

where's the joy

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

what about the last transfer window, it was obvious that if tammy lost form or got injured we would struggle and all of us that thought that have been proved right, not that I gain any satisfaction from it, we had some fifteen million to spend and we should have at least some idea who we wanted to take us forward, the original poster is absolutely right it is time we really went for it. I'm sick of seeing clubs like Watford Bournemouth Swansea etc get to the prem that should be us, we should stop accepting just being in the championship and expect a bit more why not?

I'd quite like to adjust to being in the Championship before accepting "just" being in it.  Throughout most of my time supporting the club we've been a League One side.  There are 24 teams challenging for promotion each year and no guarantees for any team, no matter how much the spend.

Has it occurred to you that

a) Multi-million transfer deals are complex affairs and not easy to complete with around four days' notice even if targets have been identified. 

b) We might well have had plenty of ideas about who we wanted to take us forward but, when we couldn't get those signings in the last window, decided it was better to wait for the right player rather than splurging millions on the wrong signing?

It's very hard to buy instant success in football and, usually when we've tried in the past, we've ended up buying very expensive failure.  I'm pleased the club are taking a long term view. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd quite like to adjust to being in the Championship before accepting "just" being in it.  Throughout most of my time supporting the club we've been a League One side.  There are 24 teams challenging for promotion each year and no guarantees for any team, no matter how much the spend.

Has it occurred to you that

a) Multi-million transfer deals are complex affairs and not easy to complete with around four days' notice even if targets have been identified. 

b) We might well have had plenty of ideas about who we wanted to take us forward but, when we couldn't get those signings in the last window, decided it was better to wait for the right player rather than splurging millions on the wrong signing?

It's very hard to buy instant success in football and, usually when we've tried in the past, we've ended up buying very expensive failure.  I'm pleased the club are taking a long term view. 

I totally agree, as long as its not too long, some of us haven't got that long you know!!

I have been lucky in my lifetime - I have seen City play in the top flight for Four seasons. Those four seasons were a battle to hang on to our first division status that was 65 years in the making.

So if you believe in all things cyclical we will bounce around the Championship and league 1 for the next 30 years or so until we produce our next set of hero's.

Football is mainly set like concrete - Arsenal and Everton forever in the Premier league - Hartlepool forever in League 1 and 2, Real Madrid winning the champions league after well you know........

So should we just accept the inevitable and look to a good solid mid table championship finish and maintaining the gap over the even less successful team north of the river

or

Should we go for it (or more likely Mr Lansdown go for it) and try to emulate the mighty Bournemouth.

Time will tell but I suspect this same discussion will go on for many years to come.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

yes it can turn out badly but I doesn't always have to be that way, if we were not to be too gung ho, sometimes you really do have to take that chance

It turns out badly more often than not.

We also went crazy (with wages) last time we were in the Championship, the result was relegation, almost followed by a second.

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It turns out badly more often than not.

We also went crazy (with wages) last time we were in the Championship, the result was relegation, almost followed by a second.

yes its a difficult balancing act, but the status quo is ok but hopefully we can move just a little quicker and end up with some success without damaging the clubs future this time

Archived