IGNORED

O'Donnell

BristolBEAT

Still prefer him to Fielding. Looks a proper keeper rather than the stooping Fielding. If his confidence is low, build him up. Get him to a sports psychologist. The lob that went over his head was unlucky whereas Fielding yesterday was poor. Come on R'OD get back in goal and get back to being the top keeper you were when you first joined the club. 

Feel people are being very harsh....a good pro excellent attitude.

Frankie is a great shot stopper....but I haven't forgotten Bradford and Coventry and the rest where he has made mistakes times and time again. 

ROD for me deserves another chance, but for imo I can't see him playing for bcfc again....which I think is a shame.

I think ROD and Frank are much of a muchness, with different pros and cons.  A few weeks ago I thought we were well positioned in having two decent keepers at good ages, not top-notch, but decent at this level.  I'm hoping Frank on Saturday was just an off day.  We'll see one way or t'other on Tuesday.  Either he'll start, and we'll see if he's back on it, or Lucic starts, and we'll see whether he's ready or not.

Not sure which way Lee will go.

35 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Frankie is a great shot stopper....but I haven't forgotten Bradford and Coventry and the rest where he has made mistakes times and time again. 

ROD for me deserves another chance, but for imo I can't see him playing for bcfc again....which I think is a shame.

Forgotten ROD mistakes though?  

It would seem ROD has been frozen out, and this has all the hallmarks of a manger wanting a player to move on, perhaps in January.

Not sure who we could sign that isn't prone to making a mistake or two that costs a goal.

There seems to be a goal given away by one goalie or another in lots of games these days across the leagues.

Is it because they are expected to do a lot more than stop shots and collect crosses these days?

The fact that we're even talking about Lucic speaks volumes for me. We have been discussing the various mistakes made by our 2 'first choice' keepers way too much for my liking this season.

You just don't see the fans of other teams lamenting over keeper error as often as we seem to be doing, there shouldn't be this many being made at the level we are playing at.

At the end of the day the errors HAVE cost us points (or massively contributed) in recent weeks and that alone should be giving LJ a real headache.

It's a difficult one indeed, Lucic is young to be first choice but as some have mentioned, if you're good enough you're old enough. I don't know what it is about Frankie but he has always made me feel nervous whenever I see him play (great shot stopper but his distribution and having the ball at his feet are suspect), whereas watching R O'D, I never had that feeling that something was likely to go wrong. Yes he has dropped some clangers recently but you can maybe put some of that down to losing his place to Fielding resulting in a lack of confidence? Often trying too hard encourages mistakes.

It'll be interesting to see who starts in between the sticks next season for sure.

14 hours ago, Londoner said:

Can you name some of 'the rest' where Fielding has 'made mistakes time and time again'? I don't think he makes any more errors than O'Donnell myself. Neither goalkeeper is good enough to be 1st choice in this league.

5 hours ago, RedJim said:

Can you name some of 'the rest' where Fielding has 'made mistakes time and time again'? I don't think he makes any more errors than O'Donnell myself. Neither goalkeeper is good enough to be 1st choice in this league.

I do like how you have to go back to Franks first season with us to find a couple of his mistakes. I'll even give you another one, Rotherham away where he handled outside of the box when kicking. 

Now 3 maybe 4 mistakes (not sure if I'll give you Cov away, Fontaine) in the 80/90 odd games he's played for us isn't that bad and probably on a par with most keepers. 

25 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Has everybody forgotton  Max o leary on loan at Bath played a part  in the f.a.cup match at W.B.A didnt let us down although another young head 

I'm probably going to get some stick for saying this, but I think people look back on the two games against West Brom with rose tinted glasses.Granted we all expected us to get hammered when we had a rookie keeper between the sticks, but West Brom were particularly poor - in the two games they had 3 shots on target, and Max O'Leary conceded all 3.

I am not knocking his potential and I know there is more to a keepers play than shot stopping, but I don't think he is anywhere near ready.

Archived