IGNORED

Great Summer Transfer Window

And Its Smith

Everyone getting massively ahead of themselves a few months ago.  Only two new signings started tonight and we are still weak in 3 or 4 positions.  Some good signings for the future who may or may not be good enough but what about now?  

Four first team players short of a top 10 team at the moment.  We look way off play offs regardless of how many points we are short.  Long season ahead and another big window in the summer to get the keeper, right back, two wingers and striker we need.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Everyone getting massively ahead of themselves a few months ago.  Only two new signings started tonight and we are still weak in 3 or 4 positions.  Some good signings for the future who may or may not be good enough but what about now?  

Four first team players short of a top 10 team at the moment.  We look way off play offs regardless of how many points we are short.  Long season ahead and another big window in the summer to get the keeper, right back, two wingers and striker we need.

left back left midfielder centre midfielder right midfielder and 2 strikers please

100% spot on. 

Waxing lyrical over Johnson in the summer were some.

The squad was light yet strengthening the first eleven would've taken care of the squad. 

Still weak throughout. Much of muchness in midfield. Nothing special down the flanks and only one fit and able striker who at 19 needs time out of the limelight. 

January is crucial. 

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We need midfielders most of ours just ain't good enough, I won't mention strikers because we needed at least one other before the season even started.

9 minutes ago, Port Pete said:

100% spot on. 

Waxing lyrical over Johnson in the summer were some.

The squad was light yet strengthening the first eleven would've taken care of the squad. 

Still weak throughout. Much of muchness in midfield. Nothing special down the flanks and only one fit and able striker who at 19 needs time out of the limelight. 

January is crucial. 

There was almost unanimous agreement in the summer that we had recruited well. Suddenly now we get smug "I told you so" posts like this. All too easy with the benefit of hindsight but no one we saying this at the time so why pretend that you were.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

There was almost unanimous agreement in the summer that we had recruited well. Suddenly now we get smug "I told you so" posts like this. All too easy with the benefit of hindsight but no one we saying this at the time so why pretend that you were.

This is football and the signings indeed looked good on paper, but what do they say about football and paper?.

O'Dowda and Patterson have been a disappointment, Engvall to be honest is still an unknown quantity because of injury and lack of game time.

Pack, Freeman and Golbourne have largely been disappointing.

For me lack a midfield leader, we lack midfield quality and we lack a holding midfielder who can stay tuned in for 90 minutes, the midfield is totally lacking and that puts pressure on the back 4 and then as the midfield go deeper into their shells, there is little or no support for our striker or strikers.

We need a striker but we've known that ever since the day we banked 12 mil for Jimmy.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

This is football and the signings indeed looked good on paper, but what do they say about football and paper?.

O'Dowda and Patterson have been a disappointment, Engvall to be honest is still an unknown quantity because of injury and lack of game time.

Pack, Freeman and Golbourne have largely been disappointing.

For me lack a midfield leader, we lack midfield quality and we lack a holding midfielder who can stay tuned in for 90 minutes, the midfield is totally lacking and that puts pressure on the back 4 and then as the midfield go deeper into their shells, there is little or no support for our striker or strikers.

We need a striker but we've known that ever since the day we banked 12 mil for Jimmy.

Don't disagree that a number of signings have been disappointing and we still lack in certain areas, it's just the claim by some that they knew all along we hadn't recruited well that annoys me. No one was saying that. We were all delighted with the summer business, aside from the lack of another striker.

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I've no doubt it was getting said by some. Those with footballing knowledge perhaps.  

The only recognised signings were O'Neil, Tomlin and Matthews. Two of those were with us anyway (appreciate we still had to get them onboard though).

Magnusson has had a positive start. 

We needed 2 forwards prior to Kodjias departure. 

We we needed a leader like O'Neil. Yet he has looked a little jaded recently and possibly signed a year later than he should've been. 

Upgrades required on both flanks.

Signed O'Dowda. Risk. 

Engvall. Risk. 

Ekstrand. Risk.

Brownhill. No better than what we have. 

Moore. Jury is out due to lack of games. 

J Smith. ??

5 keepers on the books?? 

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don't disagree that a number of signings have been disappointing and we still lack in certain areas, it's just the claim by some that they knew all along we hadn't recruited well that annoys me. No one was saying that. We were all delighted with the summer business, aside from the lack of another striker.

That's my point the summer recruiting to all intents and purposes did look great but it isn't turning out that way so far and people are disappointed.

People always like to be wise after the event, like with GJ bashers and the SC bashers, always quiet when we were winning promotions under them and then trying to claim I told you so when the wheels come off, the problem is as far managers are concerned for 99% of them the wheels will eventually come so it's not difficult to predict really.

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

That's my point the summer recruiting to all intents and purposes did look great but it isn't turning out that way so far and people are disappointed.

People always like to be wise after the event, like with GJ bashers and the SC bashers, always quiet when we were winning promotions under them and then trying to claim I told you so when the wheels come off, the problem is as far managers are concerned for 99% of them the wheels will eventually come so it's not difficult to predict really.

Am I the only one that still thinks our summer recruitment was good.

This time last year we were looking like relegation fodder, can anyone say we haven't improved the first team and the squad in that time?

It's not like we're an attractive option in this league so we were never going to do what we did under Cotts and sign the best players from the teams around us.

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

This time last year we were looking like relegation fodder, can anyone say we haven't improved the first team and the squad in that time?

It's not like we're an attractive option in this league so we were never going to do what we did under Cotts and sign the best players from the teams around us.

2 wins in 11 is relegation form

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

it was good but 3 players have failed to deliver and one is a sick note, that's 4 players not doing it, I don't agree with the highlighted portion, surely players must be looking at us as a club on the up (potentially).

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it was good but 3 players have failed to deliver and one is a sick note, that's 4 players not doing it, I don't agree with the highlighted portion, surely players must be looking at us as a club on the up (potentially).

Yeah now maybe (although it looked better 7 games ago) but not at the end of last season - a team that struggled all season and managed to steer clear of relegation in the last 5 games.

Last summer couldn't have been easy. We didn't have enough quality on the books last season, we didn't even have enough bodies really. Couple that with the loan system disappearing meant that we had to just go all out and bring in as many as we could, yet still stay within the philosophy of the club of recruiting youngsters. I'm sure LJ would have like a bit more experience to come in, but he had a mountain to climb last summer. This slide we're on is a concern and I'd like to see us the right side of the 30 point mark by the end of the year. If we can do that and bring in some experience in midfield to help us manage games, it'll all look very different. Wouldn't mind seeing Engval and Wilbraham with Abraham coming off the bench to add some spark. We're not getting thrashed and the addition of a leader in the middle could make all the difference.

Archived