IGNORED

Favouritism

GrahamC

I can't be arsed to dig out my thread entitled Golbourne and Pack from a while ago but what I said in it is becoming beyond a joke now.

No way were they our worst 2 outfield players tonight but yet again they were the two who were taken off.

**** me, this stuff isn't rocket science, Bryan and Smith were both awful tonight (not for the first time, either) and so should have been the 2 replaced.

I can accept playing poorly, I can accept losing but what is not acceptable is the head coach taking off the same 2 players over and over again for what can only be seen as blatant favouritism.

Yep, agree 100%.

It's especially odd for a manager who increasingly looks like he is trying to perm any one from 16 to rediscover our form, yet reverts to script with substitutions. JB was awful (he knew it himself) and Korey has not looked the same player since he's been back. Do we have any combinations left to try or will LJ get hold of this team ASAP?

I thought Smith was ok today.

But totally agree with a big question mark over Pack coming off. I thought Pack was having a very good game.

I feel for Joe Bryan at the moment but he was having little impact on the game and I would have asked Tomlin to play wide left,  where he has been effective in the past.

Also not impressed with the Engval substitution. We were playing well and more than anything  I felt the two changes together disrupted us more than them.

Ultimately though, how we never scored is the sad thing. We need to take more chances and soon, else we will be really looking over our shoulders soon.

Is that 6 losses now in 7 games? 

We were well on top at the time of the substitutions, Pack in my opinion was the pick of our midfield. The team balence was completely shot with these substitutions, consequence we went down with a whimper. What was LJ thinking, Bryan was woeful and had to go. Take a detention LJ.

50 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I can't be arsed to dig out my thread entitled Golbourne and Pack from a while ago but what I said in it is becoming beyond a joke now.

No way were they our worst 2 outfield players tonight but yet again they were the two who were taken off.

**** me, this stuff isn't rocket science, Bryan and Smith were both awful tonight (not for the first time, either) and so should have been the 2 replaced.

I can accept playing poorly, I can accept losing but what is not acceptable is the head coach taking off the same 2 players over and over again for what can only be seen as blatant favouritism.

Thanks Graham 

We were f'ed when the third sub happened. After spending the whole first hour with people exactly where they needed to be, right at the end the same people had the ball but the intended targets were where they wanted the ball to go to, not where the ball had to go to keep posession.

I thought Marlon had a poor first 45 distribution-wise, but was back to his usual form in our good spell at start of second half.  In the first half, the number of times  he gave the ball away, hurrying a pass when no need was countless.  He just wanted to get rid of it.  Granted second half he was much better.  I'm not a Pack critic, before anyone has a go, and he was still better than Smith!

And then you have Korey, who had a shocker tonight, got passed around, muscled off the ball etc etc.  Definitely not captured form of last season.  Is he struggling to play in a 4231?  There were times when he just sat 5-10 yards in front of Flint and Magnússon, offering us absolutely nothing when we had the ball.

Joe Bryan was pretty non-existent, looked more than a yard off the pace, and I felt sorry for Golbourne having no option in front of him.  Seems to have lost all sharpness and confidence, and is showing the inconsistencies of last season.  Shame.

Seems like we are all pretty much in agreement that our two poorest performers remained on the pitch.

I thought Pack was the best player on the pitch and was expecting him to take Reid off like for like. I actually think the change in shape was what cost us, 4-2-3-1 was actually working tonight and we played into Brentford's hands with the diamond which was why it was so laboured to get back in at one down.

Pack being taken off was a puzzling move.

I thought he was playing his best football of the game at the time after a fairly ineffectual first half and looked to be getting stronger as the match went on.

Bobby Reid should have been replaced, and I really can't work out why he wasn't.

I can see why he took Golbourne off as after the subs we were clearly going to be playing narrow in midfield so I can see that to be brave and go for the win (which was surely the plan looking at the subs) you move Bryan to left back as he should have the opportunity to overlap and display the greater attacking threat he has over Golbourne and make space for Freeman playing in front of him. The problem of course being that Bryan was absolutely shocking after switching to full back.

The Pack one however is almost impossible to understand. The only guess I've got is that he was worried about us being caught on the counter what with having 2 forwards and 3 attacking midfielders in Freeman, Tomlin and Reid on the pitch and so wanted to keep Smith on as his added athleticism could possibly stop any counter attacks due to those 5 attacking players being caught wrong side of the ball. Now that theory may stand up with a fully fit, functioning and firing Korey Smith. The one we've seen this season though is utterly anonymous in every game and there is no way he should have been staying on instead of Pack.

Archived