IGNORED

4-2-3-1 can still work..

BS3rich

I still believe 4-2-3-1 can work but we need to have Reid & Tomlin on the pitch together.

Tomlin is drifting far too deep for my liking this season, getting frustrated for not receiving the ball so he's starting his runs 20-30 yards further back from where he should be which is clearly not working. I'd like to see he and Reid switching roles and working together between the centre and on the wing to keep the opposition guessing and making it harder to man mark. 

Reid is one of our better crossers of the ball so for me I'd like to see him played on the right of the attacking 3 with Pack & O'neil/Smith as the holding midfielders. Korey however does seem way off at the moment but he looks slower in general as well ie when running, hope that injury hasn't ruined him. 

Would also love to see O'dowda given a chance on the left side (his natural position) in front of Joe Bryan. Those 2 really tore Burton a new one earlier on in the season and for some reason Johnson hasn't tried it again. Joe and O'dowda looked like they had been playing together for a couple of seasons in that game. 

Obviously we haven't seen enough of Engvall to know if he can play as a lone striker in this league but I might be tempted to try it for 45 mins on Saturday. Think he played as a lone striker for his old club?! Tammy needs bit of a breather and Engvall really needs game time.

Freeman for me just isn't doing it at this level, too slow & too many touches and when he does beat a man he stops and goes backwards and then has to try and beat the man again. 

So this would be my line up for Saturday, can't see it happening though.

Fielding/Lucic

Matthews         Flint           Magnusson       Bryan

Pack                O'Neil/Smith

Reid                Tomlin             O'dowda

Abraham/Engvall

7 hours ago, BS3rich said:

I still believe 4-2-3-1 can work but we need to have Reid & Tomlin on the pitch together.

Tomlin is drifting far too deep for my liking this season, getting frustrated for not receiving the ball so he's starting his runs 20-30 yards further back from where he should be which is clearly not working. I'd like to see he and Reid switching roles and working together between the centre and on the wing to keep the opposition guessing and making it harder to man mark. 

Reid is one of our better crossers of the ball so for me I'd like to see him played on the right of the attacking 3 with Pack & O'neil/Smith as the holding midfielders. Korey however does seem way off at the moment but he looks slower in general as well ie when running, hope that injury hasn't ruined him. 

Would also love to see O'dowda given a chance on the left side (his natural position) in front of Joe Bryan. Those 2 really tore Burton a new one earlier on in the season and for some reason Johnson hasn't tried it again. Joe and O'dowda looked like they had been playing together for a couple of seasons in that game. 

Obviously we haven't seen enough of Engvall to know if he can play as a lone striker in this league but I might be tempted to try it for 45 mins on Saturday. Think he played as a lone striker for his old club?! Tammy needs bit of a breather and Engvall really needs game time.

Freeman for me just isn't doing it at this level, too slow & too many touches and when he does beat a man he stops and goes backwards and then has to try and beat the man again. 

So this would be my line up for Saturday, can't see it happening though.

Fielding/Lucic

Matthews         Flint           Magnusson       Bryan

Pack                O'Neil/Smith

Reid                Tomlin             O'dowda

Abraham/Engvall

I second this, although I would probably play goldbourne and give bryan time on the bench. I think LJ has been kind and given most of the players time, rotating to see how they are, and trying to match us up to the opponent, but now he needs to play a team and stick to it. I think the idea of changing formation to fit opponents etc is good, and worked when we were on a high, but now the team is clearly struggling, a bit of consistency in formation and tactics may help breed consistency on the pitch. When that is sorted then we can start trying to tinker more and progress. Stability is needed at the moment.

So a bit of brutality from Johnson, I think. Some players don’t deserve to wear the shirt on current performances. Like someone else said, I think that LJ might be over thinking this one. Take last night, I think he took pack off rather than korey because he felt korey was more of a leader and he must know the team is a bit shaky at times, so kept korey on for that reason (think he was captain and taking off the captain may have had LJ fearing about its effect). Yet as many have said pack was playing better. Again, over thinking it. This may also be why he has been playing most of the old guard from last season (including the loans), hoping that as they are used to playing together it will aid stability – but, judging from performances and too many schoolboy errors, some are not used to playing LJ’s style of football (which he tried not to introduce too much last season as we were in a relegation battle.)

So as your selection, with a little change:Lucic

Matthews         Flint      Magners   Goldbourne

Pack    GON (c)

Reid     Tomlin              O’dowda        

Engval/Tammy

- Tammy is burnt out, frustrated, poor kid, so rest him a bit and give Engval a chance from the start for a game or two.

-  GON is only out for 9-10 days hopefully, perhaps brownhill till then. (Or reid there to help passing the ball forward with someone else out wide on the right till GON back) Korey hasn’t been up to form since his injury. Time to earn his place on the training ground again.

- Let o’dowda run their defences ragged with piercing runs etc for 60 mins then bring on freeman to play on the left. Left footers on the left please and right footers on the right = crossing (please santa) 

- Reid is one of our only attacking threats at the moment, the slating some are given is ridiculous. But then without Little playing and Freeman’s wonder goal silencing them somewhat, the hate had to alter. Of course that band are getting the knives out for Johnson now, which some of them have been sharpening since Cott’s went.

On a further note, did you hear Joe Bryan’s interview on radio Bristol? His voice, the poor kid sounded like he was going to break into tears. Feel for him, really do. Sounded broken. I know playing well in the first team would boost confidence, but I think those who aren’t playing well should now have to earn their spot in the team. That would help their confidence, knowing they got back in on merit, rather than their perceived strengths working against the opposition’s weaknesses. 

@BS3rich and @Bobfish  

If I had seen this earlier it would have saved me some typing. 

GON out for a while saves Korey's place, and I said before the game I said Tomlin central with Reid wide right. And please can we have a winger on the natural side, oh for a wide man that bombs down the wing and uses cutting in as the option. I have said before, Tammy's first 10 goals 8 came from crosses, either directly or indirectly. 

Last night we were crying out for Tomlin to be able to put his foot on the ball in the space Reid had, plus he's a little more composed in the vital areas.

2 hours ago, Bobfish said:

I second this, although I would probably play goldbourne and give bryan time on the bench. I think LJ has been kind and given most of the players time, rotating to see how they are, and trying to match us up to the opponent, but now he needs to play a team and stick to it. I think the idea of changing formation to fit opponents etc is good, and worked when we were on a high, but now the team is clearly struggling, a bit of consistency in formation and tactics may help breed consistency on the pitch. When that is sorted then we can start trying to tinker more and progress. Stability is needed at the moment.

So a bit of brutality from Johnson, I think. Some players don’t deserve to wear the shirt on current performances. Like someone else said, I think that LJ might be over thinking this one. Take last night, I think he took pack off rather than korey because he felt korey was more of a leader and he must know the team is a bit shaky at times, so kept korey on for that reason (think he was captain and taking off the captain may have had LJ fearing about its effect). Yet as many have said pack was playing better. Again, over thinking it. This may also be why he has been playing most of the old guard from last season (including the loans), hoping that as they are used to playing together it will aid stability – but, judging from performances and too many schoolboy errors, some are not used to playing LJ’s style of football (which he tried not to introduce too much last season as we were in a relegation battle.)

So as your selection, with a little change:Lucic

Matthews         Flint      Magners   Goldbourne

Pack    GON (c)

Reid     Tomlin              O’dowda        

Engval/Tammy

- Tammy is burnt out, frustrated, poor kid, so rest him a bit and give Engval a chance from the start for a game or two.

-  GON is only out for 9-10 days hopefully, perhaps brownhill till then. (Or reid there to help passing the ball forward with someone else out wide on the right till GON back) Korey hasn’t been up to form since his injury. Time to earn his place on the training ground again.

- Let o’dowda run their defences ragged with piercing runs etc for 60 mins then bring on freeman to play on the left. Left footers on the left please and right footers on the right = crossing (please santa) 

- Reid is one of our only attacking threats at the moment, the slating some are given is ridiculous. But then without Little playing and Freeman’s wonder goal silencing them somewhat, the hate had to alter. Of course that band are getting the knives out for Johnson now, which some of them have been sharpening since Cott’s went.

On a further note, did you hear Joe Bryan’s interview on radio Bristol? His voice, the poor kid sounded like he was going to break into tears. Feel for him, really do. Sounded broken. I know playing well in the first team would boost confidence, but I think those who aren’t playing well should now have to earn their spot in the team. That would help their confidence, knowing they got back in on merit, rather than their perceived strengths working against the opposition’s weaknesses. 

Agreed with pretty much all of that. Perhaps Joe does need some time on the sidelines. At home though against PNE would prefer he and O'dowda working the left flank together. Away from home I'd be more inclined to play a slightly more defensive side ie Golbourne instead. 

Also another thing I'm noticing, as we're playing so narrow we're getting rather clustered in the middle of the pitch say 20-30 yards from goal where our players are looking for someone on the wing and no ones there. Just not using all the pitch. 

Didnt hear Joe's interview though. I'll try and find it on radio bristol. 

Archived