IGNORED

Are We too Nice ?

Major Isewater

Our club  turn  their noses up at vulgar , results driven teams .

We play the ' Bristol City ' way !  Fur coat and no knickers . Pretty losing football.Perfect ' DNA '.

In our squad we have only Wilbs  and Tomlin who with their physicality and ' edge' , wind up and destabilize not only the opposition but the officials and  supporters , the rest are lovely lads that you'd be happy for your  daughter to bring  home . 

We are often bullied and don't earn the right to play 'our ' game .

Bristol City is a cosy club with a marshmallow centre, where's the steel , the determination to win ?

Too many decades of underachievement , platitudes and acceptance of mediocrity have formed the soul at Ashton Gate.

I want to see more ' thou shall not pass ' and less ' After you Claude ' in our club .

No one is going to say Bristol City are a lovely club let's let them win .We need more backbone and less ' boneless , headless chickens '.

Show me the metal.

I think that is partly down to having a young squad. Tomlin and Wilbraham are both experienced and being able to bend the rules comes with experience. 

I don't think you have to be overly physical or bend the rules to win necessarily, I don't think it's an issue really and I don't think we're 'too nice' either. Our double winning side was hardly a physical, cynical side who bent the rules.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We play the ' Bristol City ' way !  Fur coat and no knickers . Pretty losing football.Perfect ' DNA '.

In our squad we have only Wilbs  and Tomlin who with their physicality and ' edge' , wind up and destabilize not only the opposition but the officials and  supporters , the rest are lovely lads that you'd be happy for your  daughter to bring  home . 

Bristol City is a cosy club with a marshmallow centre, where's the steel , the determination to win ?

Too many decades of underachievement , platitudes and acceptance of mediocrity have formed the soul at Ashton Gate.

I want to see more ' thou shall not pass ' and less ' After you Claude ' in our club .

No one is going to say Bristol City are a lovely club let's let them win .We need more backbone and less ' boneless , headless chickens '.

Show me the metal.

IMO we have a midfield unfit for purpose.

Too many times we get caught on the break when our 'holding' midfielder gets caught out in front of the 'attacking' midfielders when one of our attacking moves breaks down, there is no leader to instruct another midfielder to drop in when our 'holding' midfielder goes a wondering, our midfield is mistake prone and too often fails to pick up midfield runners and there is nobody in our midfield with the skill to unlock defences, sometimes our play up to the opponents box is good but then we quickly run out of ideas and also the best we can come with for free kicks if they are out of range for Tomlin is Pack and he is woeful.

So yes IMO the midfield is far too nice, gullible at times and not fit for purpose at this level, yes we need a quality striker or 2 but we need at least 2 quality midfielders as well.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that is partly down to having a young squad. Tomlin and Wilbraham are both experienced and being able to bend the rules comes with experience. 

I don't think you have to be overly physical or bend the rules to win necessarily, I don't think it's an issue really and I don't think we're 'too nice' either. Our double winning side was hardly a physical, cynical side who bent the rules.

Huddersfield fielded an incredibly young team on Saturday and coped fine, they are 9 points ahead of us and obviously not the finished article but far more advanced than us, as I mentioned in another thread how much more time do we give 'one's for the future' 21, 23 and even 25 year olds?.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Huddersfield fielded an incredibly young team on Saturday and coped fine, they are 9 points ahead of us and obviously not the finished article but far more advanced than us, as I mentioned in another thread how much more time do we give 'one's for the future' 21, 23 and even 25 year olds?.

No, you've misunderstood. I'm talking about *only* the being too nice thing. Not about ability. Of course a team of young players can compete in this league, generally though being streetwise / bending the rules comes with experience.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, you've misunderstood. I'm talking about *only* the being too nice thing. Not about ability. Of course a team of young players can compete in this league, generally though being streetwise / bending the rules comes with experience.

I haven't misunderstood 2 similarly aged teams, one looked up for it and one didn't and again it comes to a post I made in another thread pretty much if we are too nice why?, why do our young players in general take so long to mature into consistent performers compared to other clubs, we constantly use that excuse for Bryan, Reid and Burns and now Brownhill and O'dowda and somebody made that excuse for Patterson who is 25 next week.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I haven't misunderstood 2 similarly aged teams, one looked up for it and one didn't and again it comes to a post I made in another thread pretty much if we are too nice why?, why do our young players in general take so long to mature into consistent performers compared to other clubs, we constantly use that excuse for Bryan, Reid and Burns and now Brownhill and O'dowda and somebody made that excuse for Patterson who is 25 next week.

But being 'too nice', bending the rules, winding people up etc has no tangible connection to success. Teams can be successful without doing that sort of thing - that's my point.

Your Huddersfield comparison is a separate but valid point - yes, why is it their young midfield look better than ours?  

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But being 'too nice', bending the rules, winding people up etc has no tangible connection to success. Teams can be successful without doing that sort of thing - that's my point.

Your Huddersfield comparison is a separate but valid point - yes, why is it their young midfield look better than ours?  

And I agree with that point, but you need a midfield fit for purpose for that scenario and IMO, we don't got one of those by a long chalk.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

And I agree with that point, but you need a midfield fit for purpose for that scenario and IMO, we don't got one of those by a long chalk.

Agreed, feel we signed too many similar style central midfielders this summer. Probably all good players in their own right but we can only play 2 or 3 of them at once. Feel we have too many of the same 'style' of wide player too - ones who prefer to cut in rather than hit the byline. Think O'Dowda could be that player but doesn't quite look consistently good enough yet.

I think a team will often mirror it's manager.

Look at Man U under Fergie - a snarling, in your face team, just like him.

Klopp seems to have a flamboyant manner about him and Liverpool play that way.

Warnock is a man easy to despise and guess what?

Lee Johnson was a nice player, seems a nice guy and perhaps his team plays in his image?

i think we have always been a decent club that wants to go about things the right way. Sadly too many other clubs couldn't give a stuff about that and seem happy to do whatever necessary , both on and off the pitch, if it gets them success.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Show me the metal.

I like marshmallows 

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Show me the 

57 minutes ago, shelts said:

I like marshmallows 

maltesers soft centres look at us with are free kicks every other team pinches yards except us

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think it's an age, thing if your the type of player to leave your foot in then I don't think 21 or 31 makes much difference.

The hard men we've had over the years all seem to be remembered with fondness!!

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Show me the metal.

Quite right Major-a Gerry Gow in the middle would allow us to play.

Does anybody know where we may find a Kindly soul of similar ilk??..

11 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Don't think it's an age, thing if your the type of player to leave your foot in then I don't think 21 or 31 makes much difference.

The hard men we've had over the years all seem to be remembered with fondness!!

In general I think it is. Obviously there's always exceptions but I think gamemanship - not necessarily toughness - is something you learn with experience.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Show me the metal.

No, please after you Major.

5 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Not sure he's quite the same on the touchline. He seems to somewhat rile opposition managers.

When he was on the pitch he used to rile a fair few of our fans as well!

I genuinely believe its in our DNA to be soft.

City always have tried to play passing football, we as fans of the club have never warmed to any Manager bar Cotts who have played a long ball style of football, they wont be given the chance, leading us to being a soft touch for the more physical side. 

I think the only side who were a good football team who could also win ugly were actually the play off team in 07/08. 

You're right Major - we're easily bullied. Last season after we played Rotherham the forum was awash with complaints about that really nasty man, Neil Warnock, and how he was to blame for City not being able to play. Only a few questions why City was so weedy

5 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Quite right Major-a Gerry Gow in the middle would allow us to play.

Does anybody know where we may find a Kindly soul of similar ilk??..

That mould was broken a long time ago.

We are unlikely to see his like at this club for a long time - need to be a prem club to attract someone that good. 

Archived