IGNORED

Leon Osman

Ashtonwurzel

35 years old but currently a free agent ( I think ?). Combative and basically very sound midfielder who also impressed me whenever I saw him play. Just what we are looking for IMO, both as a player and a role model for our younger midfielders. Maybe worth an 18 month contract until we can find a younger version or someone in our current crop steps up to the required level (Brownhill ?). Guessing wages would be high(ish) but no fee.

Thoughts ?

27 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

35 years old but currently a free agent ( I think ?). Combative and basically very sound midfielder who also impressed me whenever I saw him play. Just what we are looking for IMO, both as a player and a role model for our younger midfielders. Maybe worth an 18 month contract until we can find a younger version or someone in our current crop steps up to the required level (Brownhill ?). Guessing wages would be high(ish) but no fee.

Thoughts ?

Please , everybody, stop this ' wages would be high ' as a reason why we might not sign someone .

SL , MA. and company will have ways to deal with this if they consider the player is the right one to move the club forward .

I give you the unfortunate 4 year contract for El Bad as an example.

If We persuaded Ronaldo to come here he'd have a thirty year contract and a Top of the range Kia .

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Thoughts ?

Why would wages be high if he isn't earning any wages now?

also he's 35 so no thanks 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Please , everybody, stop this ' wages would be high ' as a reason why we might not sign someone .

SL , MA. and company will have ways to deal with this if they consider the player is the right one to move the club forward .

If We persuaded Ronaldo to come here he'd have a thirty year contract and a Top of the range Kia .

Please....

Ssang Yong surely.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Didn't say his wages would be to high just high(ish). He would probably be at the top end of our wage structure (O'Neil on £13,000 a week basic ?) but as he would command no fee then very doable. Just think he maybe a decent "stop gap" solution until a better/younger/cheaper option becomes available, hopefully in the Summer.

We lack his type of player in our team right now.

46 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Didn't say his wages would be to high just high(ish). He would probably be at the top end of our wage structure (O'Neil on £13,000 a week basic ?) but as he would command no fee then very doable. Just think he maybe a decent "stop gap" solution until a better/younger/cheaper option becomes available, hopefully in the Summer.

We lack his type of player in our team right now.

I like where you're coming from o

n this one however was n't he also à free agent in the summer ? 

We did n't try to sign him then so why would we now ? 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Why would wages be high if he isn't earning any wages now?

also he's 35 so no thanks 

We're absolutely crying out for experience, and Wilbs is still performing at his age - better than many other forwards of lesser years - so not sure we should use age as a sole determinant. 

There are 35 year olds fitter, faster - and crucially more intelligent, in footballing terms - than players of 25 years. 

10 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He'd do more than 'a job' in our midfield, he's a real step up on what we've got. Pay as you play doesn't really happen either.

Every transfer window the 'pay as you play' thing is reeled out :laugh: 

Given that football clubs pay handsome salaries to players who don't play, it's amazing that people think these terms would even be entertained!

I doubt he's done any meaningful training for 8 months. At his age there's no way he'd be able to slip into a championship midfield with no training over that period. Would take months to get him fit. Long gone are the days when an elderly midfielder in the chapionship can just wonder around the same 20 yrds all game conducting play

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Pay as you play with an option of extending if he plays a certain number of games could do a good job in midfield 

Can't imagine many people would consider moving their family from one end of the country to the other on the off chance they get a kick about and therefore paid.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Can't imagine many people would consider moving their family from one end of the country to the other on the off chance they get a kick about and therefore paid.

This 

Saw I/v with him the other day , when asked if he'd consider carrying on I got the impression that he's not too worried and would only consider something if it appealed enough , didn't affect family etc

On 21/12/2016 at 13:36, Phileas Fogg said:

He'd do more than 'a job' in our midfield, he's a real step up on what we've got. Pay as you play doesn't really happen either.

How about a GOOD job? 

If I didn't have a job I'd consider short term contract work. But apologies, I didn't realise you were a chairman of a football club so I bow to your superior knowledge 

13 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

How about a GOOD job? 

If I didn't have a job I'd consider short term contract work. But apologies, I didn't realise you were a chairman of a football club so I bow to your superior knowledge 

It's different though;  I'm assuming you aren't a veteran footballer with millions in the bank. If Osman was desperate for a club he could get one. It tells you something that he didn't in the summer. He's a family man, he may not want the upheaval of relocating his family down here for a year or two contract.

Yes, a good job. The phrase "do a job" implies "he'll do" or "he'll be ok" - not anything out of the ordinary. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's different though;  I'm assuming you aren't a veteran footballer with millions in the bank. If Osman was desperate for a club he could get one. It tells you something that he didn't in the summer. He's a family man, he may not want the upheaval of relocating his family down here for a year or two contract.

Yes, a good job. The phrase "do a job" implies "he'll do" or "he'll be ok" - not anything out of the ordinary. 

I said "do a good job" not sure what you're on about to be honest.

yes he most likely wouldn't sign on pay as you play but maybe lowish wages with a big appearance fee. Who knows

Archived