IGNORED

2 old favourites to come home ?

cityred exile

Skuse is in the same mould as O'Neil, Pack and Smith. We need an aggressive box to box player.. someone in the style of Kante or Matuidi. I think there's probably lots of these sort of players in France as there's so many West Africans. Must be some more gems there.

As for the forward, I think we need someone a bit more mobile than Smith. He'd be useful due to his height but I think his all round game is a bit limited. We need someone quick, aggressive and strong. Someone like Leroy Lita when he first came through. I would love to see us try and bring in Nouha Dicko from Wolves. He's quick, strong and works hard. He played his best football playing just off Afobe and I think he'd work well with Tammy.

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Skuse is in the same mould as O'Neil, Pack and Smith. We need an aggressive box to box player.. someone in the style of Kante or Matuidi. I think there's probably lots of these sort of players in France as there's so many West Africans. Must be some more gems there.

As for the forward, I think we need someone a bit more mobile than Smith. He'd be useful due to his height but I think his all round game is a bit limited. We need someone quick, aggressive and strong. Someone like Leroy Lita when he first came through. I would love to see us try and bring in Nouha Dicko from Wolves. He's quick, strong and works hard. He played his best football playing just off Afobe and I think he'd work well with Tammy.

We was linked with Dicko before he went to Wolves weren't we? 

8 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Both be quality signings, I'd say that would be the Kodjia monies spent on them two and I would not complain one bit

Think Afobe is out of reach at the moment. My worry with Dicko about vulnerability to injuries as he had an ACL injury last year.

A Bournemouth player I would like to see us look at is Gradel. He played against us the other day and would give us genuine width and pace which I think we lack. 

If Bournemouth want to push on, I think players like Afobe, Mings, Gradel and a few others will become surplus in the next 6 months/year if they want to be a solid mid table club. 

• Admin
12 hours ago, cityred exile said:

I suspect I am going to ruffle a few feathers in the robins nest  with this  , but here goes,      We need an experienced deep holding defensive mid fielder  Along with an aggressive target man  .   Step Forward   Cole Skuse and Matt Smith

Not a chance for me !

These are both players who are past the best of their game - hopefully we have higher quality prospects

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Think Afobe is out of reach at the moment. My worry with Dicko about vulnerability to injuries as he had an ACL injury last year.

A Bournemouth player I would like to see us look at is Gradel. He played against us the other day and would give us genuine width and pace which I think we lack. 

If Bournemouth want to push on, I think players like Afobe, Mings, Gradel and a few others will become surplus in the next 6 months/year if they want to be a solid mid table club. 

I posted just this on the U23 thread, he`d be a great signing.

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There Probably are a few in Ligue 1 but we have to remember we are not the only club looking.. Remember Kodjia was also being tracked by a number of English clubs before we got him and by all accounts we were lucky in a way to even land him. Its deffinetly the way to go to look abroad but just think we have to remember everyone else is doing the same too. 

Would Skuse even want to come back?

I like him but nlt sure he's much more than a marginal upgrade on Pack and we could do with a proper hard defensive midfielder IMO. 

Smith did a good job for us in League One but I think if that move was going to happen it would have happened by now. Not a signing that would disappoint me but wouldn't have me hugely excited either. 

58 minutes ago, bris red said:

There Probably are a few in Ligue 1 but we have to remember we are not the only club looking.. Remember Kodjia was also being tracked by a number of English clubs before we got him and by all accounts we were lucky in a way to even land him. Its deffinetly the way to go to look abroad but just think we have to remember everyone else is doing the same too. 

Why would we want to sign players no one else rated anyway? We just need to move quicker on those players.

13 hours ago, cityred exile said:

I suspect I am going to ruffle a few feathers in the robins nest  with this  , but here goes,      We need an experienced deep holding defensive mid fielder  Along with an aggressive target man  .   Step Forward   Cole Skuse and Matt Smith

And yes you did. 

However I don't think it's out of the question on either count. Skiuse is a pal of LJ and he needs his own man in the dressing room as well as someone who can break up play. Also what anybody might think we need a forward and as we have often resorted to hit some big balls Smith is as good as any and he is not bad on the floor and can shoot. The boys screamer at Gillingham is testament to that

Both these players if available would be relatively cheap and would add a bit to the squad....So I would say don't rule it out! And more besides. 

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And yes you did. 

However I don't think it's out of the question on either count. Skiuse is a pal of LJ and he needs his own man in the dressing room as well as someone who can break up play. Also what anybody might think we need a forward and as we have often resorted to hit some big balls Smith is as good as any and he is not bad on the floor and can shoot. The boys screamer at Gillingham is testament to that

Both these players if available would be relatively cheap and would add a bit to the squad....So I would say don't rule it out! And more besides. 

Why would Skuse or Matt Smith be relatively cheap?

They're both a solid part of the squad for fellow championship sides who probably have no intention of selling.

I think people need to realise that us signing a player who is a first teamer from a fellow Championship club is unlikely. We are not at a level where we can poach players who start regularly for Championship sides (the possible exceptions being Burton and Rotherham).

12 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Lots of people slating them but Skuse would start every game for us and if we went two up top, I imagine Smith would too. Both would improve us imo.

Don't think people are slating either player really. Both would improve our current squad but I think most agree that we could get better players at better value.

14 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Why would we need an aggressive target man? we don't have wide men who put crosses in. To me the priority should be a right sided player with pace and is able to cross the ball.

1 hour ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We didn't have the players to play a 2 man central midfield successfully when Skuse was at the club and Ipswich are the only side we've done it against this season. Lovely bloke and I hope he does well but I'm not sure he's what we need.

I agree Dan. As I posted after the Ipswich game, he is Mr Reliable and he is neat and tidy, but you can't tell from the way he plays whether the team is 2-0 up or 0-2 down. We need the kind of midfield player who will try and lift the team when things are running against us (as it has been in the last few games), with all the will in the world, that is not Cole Skuse and I speak as a fan of his.  

27 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Why would we need an aggressive target man? we don't have wide men who put crosses in. To me the priority should be a right sided player with pace and is able to cross the ball.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Absolutely. 

Maybe it's chicken and egg? Imagine what the forum coaches would be saying on here if we banging crosses to a target man we don't have.....

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Why would Skuse or Matt Smith be relatively cheap?

They're both a solid part of the squad for fellow championship sides who probably have no intention of selling.

I think people need to realise that us signing a player who is a first teamer from a fellow Championship club is unlikely. We are not at a level where we can poach players who start regularly for Championship sides (the possible exceptions being Burton and Rotherham).

Smith is on the bench at Fulham hardly gets a game and is out of contract in 2017 if Fulham don't pick up there option.  Skuse starts at Ipswich but relative to what we have and what we are prepared to spend they would be relatively cheap. 

Intention is a factor of what is available, how long contracts have to go, what the player wants and what the number is (ala Little and Freeman who are out of contract shortly)

would Smith leave Fulham and would Fulham let him go, probably. Skuse who knows but I would not be surprised if the question is asked by LJ and finds out how important he is seen to be by Macarthy  

Last summer I would've taken smith in a second. Still rate him for the championship but he'd be expensive for what we'd use him for. I'd imagine he'd replace Wilbs role as a sub most games. I think with a target man we can afford to gamble on someone who won't cost as much. 

Skuse from what I've seen is maybe a more experienced Marlon Pack type. Been there done that and reads the game better at this point. He'd be better but for how long? Pack could be that player this time next year. He's not far off now. Plus Pack and Skuse may not be the type of midfielder we need. We need a more box to box type that's got a bit of everything. An athlete more like. Someone mentioned Matuidi and Kante. They are examples of the type. We need to find championship versions of them. Mendy at Leicester hasn't played much and doubt is on a huge wage coming from Nice. Maybe worth a loan shout and option to buy? Could be too bold I'll admit but players are out there. 

I think this thread is in the right direction though. I'd say striker, winger and athletic box to box midfielder are the biggest needs in January. Easier said than done but if they are just loans I think it'll benefit us this season and like with Tomlin, could help us recruit them full time. 

How anybody can be thinking we need Skuse back is beyond me. Pack, O'Neil & Smith are all adept at backward and sideways passing already.

Matt Smith, I would not mind, think he would be good foil for Tammy and generally in holding the ball up when our defenders hit aimless high balls forward. Given Matt has been bench warming most of the season and is out of contract next summer, he could be available for modest outlay.

Archived