IGNORED

Speed Awareness Course

SARJ

Got done on the Portway, a-la-George-Fergusson.

I now have to attend this 'Speed Awareness Course' to avoid 3 points on the licence. Have any of you OTIB degenerates been on one and tell me what I can expect?

Did some research online and all I know is that it goes on for 4 hours with 2 coffee breaks. No written tests or anything, just need to sit there and listen to someone harp on and be a good student, otherwise they kick you off for not joining in/being sarcastic/abusive. Reviews online say they can either be quite friendly and informative, or belittle you with 'speed kills' etc.

An honest first hand account would be appreciated.

I did one in Dorset and quite frankly it was a waste of time. It was a toss up who was more bored, us or the retired copper giving the lecture. Imagine a powerpoint presentation at work about something you really couldn`t care less about and you`ll get the picture. I think it does vary force by force though.

Still, no three points and you don`t have to tell your insurance company you`ve been done so all good I suppose.

I've not done one but my Dad did (he was 82 and would have been proud of his speeding points) but someone persuaded him to do the course do he didn't get them.

Let me explain, he was a very fit and able person at the time, often would get mistaken for someone 10 or 15 years younger, so not a doddery old git. He got caught on the Bath road, the one way bit before it drops down into Bris village outbound. A huge lorry was right up behind him and intimidated him into going faster than the speed limit, I think he did 37mph in a 30 area. The speed camera was a mobile one parked on that stretch, I believe it's a favourite spot. My point is that on the course the instructor went round the room at the start and asked everyone what their details of their offence was. His was labelled 'tailgating' and they then had a discussion about that. It caused great amusement him sitting amongst the 'boy racers' that day.

I had one 3 years ago.. not the most exciting thing maybe 1-2 things picked up. The most amusing thing about it was one old bloke moaning about all these boy racers.  There was only one chap below the age of 25 in the room and he chirps up.. 'well what you doing here then mate' - pretty amusing.

1 hour ago, daored said:

If your insurance is with Churchill then they count the course the same as having points 

30 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

No record is kept by the DVLA so how will your insurance company know?

Absolutely right. The question was asked at mine and the answer was categorically no, you don`t have to declare it to your insurance company.

I`d switch companies if I were you but I suppose now it`s on Churchill`s records any new insurer will be able to see it and price things accordingly.

Bastards just make it up as they go along don`t they?

43 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

No record is kept by the DVLA so how will your insurance company know?

It's a question they ask, do you have points or have you been on a driver awareness course. They're the only insurance company who do it (at the moment)

3 minutes ago, daored said:

It's a question they ask, do you have points or have you been on a driver awareness course. They're the only insurance company who do it (at the moment)

A speeding conviction affects your insurance by about sod all.  Try it out, do a quote with 9 points for 3 x sp30 and one without.  It'll be about a fiver a year different.

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

I done one about 18 months ago, wasn't that bad

I can think of better ways to spend an afternoon, but it's always fun watching the gobshite in the group get told he (or she) is wrong on just about everything they say

Did 1 about a year ago and personally found it helpful. Depends what your attitude is going into it really - i decided that as i was there i'd try and learn and lo and behold i did.

8 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Never been offered one, always been too far over the limit.......

Same here :fear: I have a nice clean licence now anyway, and don't have to declare any previous points on insurance quotes anymore.

Archived