IGNORED

Can LJ be trusted to spend wisely in the next window

Redandy

Show me a manager that gets every signing right. Even Ferguson signed Djemba-Djemba, Veron and Forlan to name but three.

For every Engvall or Paterson (who could still prove good signings by the way) there is a Magnusson or Tomlin.

Accept there is always a risk that a transfer won't prove a success, as there is with every manager, and back him accordingly with the money needed.

11 minutes ago, kivsy said:

This  needing  three transfer windows is a smokescreen, apparently he said the same thing at Barnsley , sounds like a cotterill type excuse 

He wants to build his own team, surely as manager he has the right to do that? Otherwise what the hell is he doing here, or any manager in the professional game for that matter!

11 minutes ago, kivsy said:

This  needing  three transfer windows is a smokescreen, apparently he said the same thing at Barnsley , sounds like a cotterill type excuse 

A smokescreen for what? Not immediately having a side capable of winning promotion to the PL less than two years after promotion from the third tier and without the benefit of parachute payments? I agree, it's an outrage.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Lucic, Magnusson, Moore are all very good signings IMO, Tammy on loan is surely one of the best loans we've got in since Caulker? I certainly back him. I do think the real test for our recruitment team will be whether or not they are able to find a striker.

Considering Lucic has hardly played and we have only seen small glimpses of Taylor - not sure how that comment is backed up

But agree whole heartedly we are crying out for help up front

• Admin
16 minutes ago, KingLear said:

He wants to build his own team, surely as manager he has the right to do that? Otherwise what the hell is he doing here, or any manager in the professional game for that matter!

My concerns would be the looking back at the last window, of all the signings we made, and still the majority of the side is that which got us promotion

The recent signings to me haven't made enough impact

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Considering Lucic has hardly played and we have only seen small glimpses of Taylor - not sure how that comment is backed up

But agree whole heartedly we are crying out for help up front

Well I agree that maybe one should reserve judgement until a certain number of games but the facts are that Lucic was 2nd only to Neuer in the champions league for Bayern and from what I've seen he'd be my number 1. To sign him so cheap is quite astonishing in my eyes.

Moore was wanted by lyon for multiple millions and then next season we sneak in and get him for a relative pittance. Bear in mind that Mark Ashton is the main guy when it comes to finding the right prices and players etc. 

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

So he says he needs a striker so does that mean we are going to play 2 up front or will the new player sit on his backside watching like Gustav is. 

To be honest we have been at least one striker light for a number of transfer windows now, we've been saying it for numerous managers

48 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Well I agree that maybe one should reserve judgement until a certain number of games but the facts are that Lucic was 2nd only to Neuer in the champions league for Bayern and from what I've seen he'd be my number 1. 

He certainly was not.

Sven Ulreich is their second choice keeper.

Lucic was nowhere near their first team.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He certainly was not.

Sven Ulreich is their second choice keeper.

Lucic was nowhere near their first team.

Glad you cleared that up Graham !! :thumbsup:

Hadn't checked and read the claim and found it a 'surprise' as to why Bayern would offload their  'No 2' to Bristol City , and why he'd want to come here as third choice !!!

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Glad you cleared that up Graham !! :thumbsup:

Hadn't checked and read the claim and found it a 'surprise' as to why Bayern would offload their  'No 2' to Bristol City , and why he'd want to come here as third choice !!!

Even so, being at Bayern is no mean feat. Lucic clearly has something about him, for me though he needs a run of starts with a settled defence before we see what he's about.

4 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

Surely this question should be aimed at other club staff as well? Namely Mark Ashton and Des Taylor? It isn't all down to LJ 

The below is from my comment on another thread but think fits well with your comment above, i don't believe it is down to LJ.

1. The board may have decided to sacrifice short term success for financial stability and 'the grand plan'

2. Cotts wouldn't play by the rules of the above (and who would blame him as a manager who I guess is old school and would probably distrust the board)

3. LJ is the man that buys into the plan as an ex player and personal friend. He would take the dip into L1 if the board said that's fine but keep going with these youngsters.

4. Why else the contract extension?  If you can explain that any other way then I'd be pleased to hear it.

13 minutes ago, RumRed said:
Why else the contract extension?  If you can explain that any other way then I'd be pleased to hear it.

The Evil Post are saying it's to make clear message / reassurance to potential recruits in Jan that we have a long term plan and stability

(Don't shoot the messenger !)

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The Evil Post are saying it's to make clear message / reassurance to potential recruits in Jan that we have a long term plan and stability

(Don't shoot the messenger !)

And possibly also to tell any potential dressing room dissenters that they'll be out of the door before LJ is?

Lets face it.......

Poor appointment

Poor signings

Poor selections

Poor tactics

he will take us down and if that is what the owner can live with then fine - before the idiots come on here and say their idiot comment " I can smell gas " which just about sums up their IQ - I have had a season ticket for over 50 yeas and LJ is not the answer and has not the answer and will not find the answer. He has no track record of success and just talks a very good game ( excuse ) and if the owner buys into that as I say fine - I will still buy my ST at whatever price - I just have a feeling SL may lose patience some time soon.............!

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

And possibly also to tell any potential dressing room dissenters that they'll be out of the door before LJ is?

What I originally thought / guessed , with the timing of it

Is , Possibly off the back of some poor results, seen as necessary to try and reassure potential signings ( Not that I'm sure any signing at any club would be reassured by the length of the manager / head coachs contract !!! )

Archived