IGNORED

Players were superb today

NickJ

Did everything they were asked to do and even managed to fortuitously go 2 up.

But what they were asked to do was pants.

Never thought I'd see a Bristol City team told to sit back at home for 90 minutes against the mighty Reading.

Centre halves signed for "the future" but our right back plays as a defensive left centre half? For example.

Sack the manager, please.

I agreed with the first seven words

Forget who we were playing and why, and get off your arrogant soapbox. we'd lost tumps of games in a row and were playing a team in the top 6.

They had 5/6 players with far more experience at this level than ours and it showed.

We were set up exactly how we should have been, rather than chasing games through attack as we have been and as WE'VE BEEN CRITICISED FOR!!!

For 70 minutes the plan worked a treat so the set up wasn't wrong at all.

Substitutions, I'll concede, but you can't have flowing attacking football AND want to stop conceding goals at the other end

Results don't lie, we are desperate for a result.

I thought he had the tactics spot on until O'Dowda got injured and then it went wrong. The substitutions were baffling to say the least.

He could've used Paterson for Reid AND Wilbs. Reid was lost out wide & why bring on a 37 year old striker when we're not getting the ball forward. That just made us play with one less player and that opened it up more for Reading.

It was crying out for Pack in the middle for another body.

You cannot get away with those tactics for 90 minutes and get away with it.

Overall, what I find alarming is our inability to compete with Reading & no disrespect to them but we have enough ability to at the very least compete. 

15 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Forget who we were playing and why, and get off your arrogant soapbox. we'd lost tumps of games in a row and were playing a team in the top 6.

They had 5/6 players with far more experience at this level than ours and it showed.

We were set up exactly how we should have been, rather than chasing games through attack as we have been and as WE'VE BEEN CRITICISED FOR!!!

Substitutions, I'll concede, but you can't have flowing attacking football AND want to stop conceding goals at the other end

It's a game of 90 minutes.

We were poor all game.

Our first goal came from a gift and our pen was never should have been given.

We were totally out played and out fought for all of the match.

We went 2 up home at in the 2nd half  and failed even to take a point.

but you can't have flowing attacking football AND want to stop conceding goals at the other end

But we didn't have free flowing attacking football and still let in three,

Superb today?

how many players forgot their position (or perhaps were told to play out of their comfort zones) or failed to mark their targets?

Frankie. What planet is he on? Can't understand the loyalty to him, he is like David James's understudy, totally unpredictable and does not seem to concentrate on what's going on in front of him - Readings first and third he was hugging his left post and way too slow to react to shots he should have saved.

And what about LJ? He seemed to know what was coming right from the restart, slumped pose and looked totally deflated, Moore declared today that he is going on loan, together with the other bright new signings -  so another young capable player not available to wake up the team!

Tomlin had the day off again, not my favourite player but could have made a huge difference had he been given the chance - or is he on the way out too?

So where is the problem, for my money LJ needs to take a chance - perhaps even play a midfield 4 that can do the job, that would make a refreshing change! Too few defensive challenges costing us dear - Korey the only one today to really try from start to finish, if nothing else LJ 'should' know exactly how to arrange his midfield! If he doesn't then it's time to step aside and let someone more capable do it.

COYR

15 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

But we have an up and coming manager, one of the finest young managers in England.

Bollocks have we.

48 minutes ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Then Johnson has badly misjudged this season then. Because this was true last season, and we struggled. We knew this, it was plain to all of us. And he only added three Championship "ready" players this summer - Tomlin, Matthews and GO'N to our L1 lot, who had struggled. Who are now all the problem, apparently (LT, GO'N, AM).

Can they all be the problem?

To them, we added more lower league types - Brownhill, O'D, and some overseas punts, Engvall, Moore and Magnusson. All young with few games anywhere, let alone this Championship.

I remember SL, when we were struggling last winter, talking about adding some quality in Jan (which we did) and then our L1 next season - ie, now - would have a "year'sx Championship experience" under their belts.

I think there has been a major misjudgment of the ability of the L1 lot, by all of them at AG. Possibly too keen to implement the 5 pillars. Or the coach is not a good enough coach (because Barnsley seem to be pulling this trick off this season). Not an adequate coach at the moment, at least. Look at the team second half at Ipswich - six or seven of the L1 lot used, plus Moore, O'Dowda and an overworked teen up front. They did well to draw that second half.

My view is that the 5 pillars is rather like Lee - good in theory; less so in practice. Either this or it is too much to ask of Lee at this stage in his career.

Archived