IGNORED

Motorcycle helmet law

Barry Sheene

First time starting a non football chat so I hope I am not boring anyone.

I was reading motorcycle news last week when they interviewed Carl Fogarty who said he would like to see the motorcycle helmet law abolished with the rider having the choice of wearing a helmet or not.

When the helmet law came in 1973 the Motorcycle action group was formed to fight this and some of there members went to prison for not wearing a helmet. They thought it was so important to have that freedom of choice.

Fast forward to the present day and Ian Mutch who is the current president of the MAG thinks that the government have no right to tell us to wear a helmet and riders should be free to choose.

Thing is I couldn't even contemplate riding my motorcycle without a helmet but I know some rider would have no problem risking there lives and riding without one.

Sometimes it so serious the government have the right to tell us what to do to keep us safe don't they ?????

16 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

First time starting a non football chat so I hope I am not boring anyone.

I was reading motorcycle news last week when they interviewed Carl Fogarty who said he would like to see the motorcycle helmet law abolished with the rider having the choice of wearing a helmet or not.

When the helmet law came in 1973 the Motorcycle action group was formed to fight this and some of there members went to prison for not wearing a helmet. They thought it was so important to have that freedom of choice.

Fast forward to the present day and Ian Mutch who is the current president of the MAG thinks that the government have no right to tell us to wear a helmet and riders should be free to choose.

Thing is I couldn't even contemplate riding my motorcycle without a helmet but I know some rider would have no problem risking there lives and riding without one.

Sometimes it so serious the government have the right to tell us what to do to keep us safe don't they ?????

1. Competition riders will be barred from entering. No one wants to see someone's brains all over the track live on TV.  Companies that run the championships would make it nigh on impossible for racers to be able to race.

2 I have no idea why anyone would not want to wear a helmet with current state of British roads... even if you don't come off your bike a fly in your eye at 70 or 80mph can potentially blind you and/or make you lose control. Why should another motorist have a idiots life on his/her conscious for the rest of their life through neglect of easily implemented safety measures.

Bloody crazy if you ask me.

Remove their license permenantly if caught without one. If they are caught again (obviously illegally) bang em up

51 minutes ago, TRL said:

No one wants to see someone's brains all over the track live on TV.

Slightly off-topic or at least off-sport, the American racing driver Gordon Smiley died in qualifying for the 1982 Indy 500. He crashed and the inquest heard rescuers found a strange grey substance streaked on the track. Yes, his helmet had been torn off and was effectively scalped by the debris fence. Literally, grey matter.  :(

• Admin

I'd happily ride without wearing one, we live in such a nanny state.  Can't see how a helmet stops a fly going in your eye.....  I have never owned a full face helmet, it feels like looking out of a letter box, so your vision is impaired.

I went on a few of the huge MAG rally's in the 70's and early 80's, as with anything, the strength of protest diminishes as new generations come along who never had the choice before legislation.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I'd happily ride without wearing one, we live in such a nanny state.  Can't see how a helmet stops a fly going in your eye.....  I have never owned a full face helmet, it feels like looking out of a letter box, so your vision is impaired.

I went on a few of the huge MAG rally's in the 70's and early 80's, as with anything, the strength of protest diminishes as new generations come along who never had the choice before legislation.

It stops your brain being splattered everywhere, those who care about having to deal with that, and those that have to witness it being traumatised for life. Or maybe you wouldn't die and would instead end up so damaged that you'd need intensive support for the rest of your life. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I don't this can be given as an example of the nanny state really. Just saying :) 

10 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Cyclists should be made to wear them also. I really struggle to have any sympathy for those who have serious head injuries because they wasn't wearing one. 

I once worked in a&e and someone came in having not wore won and it was a horrible sight.

Bigger problem imo regarding cyclists, besides the idiots who ride stupidly fast on pavements are the amount of total cretins seen every evening and night (even worse when its raining or drizzling and the vision for driving is impaired) riding their bikes without a care in the World with NO F'ING LIGHTS (or even reflective clothing) .... so easy to get killed or maimed that way, and besides the anguish and pain caused to their own families and friends what about the poor traumatised driver who through no fault of his/her own will now live for the rest of their lives with the aftermath of the situation and the images in their head of the horrific scene.

Bloody police dont appear to enforce the law regarding lights on cycles either -which doesn't help.

GET LIGHTS ON YOUR BIKES FFS .... (maybe we should all shout at the fcukers every time we see 'em without lights (although it is hard to see em in the first place) ... I've seen 'erm flying around the Lawrence Hill roundabout at night like stealth suicide merchants, they can see us but when we're driving often its bloody hard to see them among all the reflections through the windscreen on dark wet nights .... makes my blood boil, I could kill the idiots (literally ;) )

Why are the police constantly ignoring this night after night on every f'ing road. ?

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

It stops your brain being splattered everywhere, those who care about having to deal with that, and those that have to witness it being traumatised for life. Or maybe you wouldn't die and would instead end up so damaged that you'd need intensive support for the rest of your life. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I don't this can be given as an example of the nanny state really. Just saying :) 

I've seen the aftermath of plenty of brains splattered everywhere, I'm not traumatised.  The mess at accident scenes is not really likely to be lessened by a helmet.  There have been many studies done in the States and helmet use does save lives, but leads to more neck and brain injuries and to be honest, I'd rather be dead than have some sort of vegative or restrictive injury,  

Maybe I should just get religion and be able to choose not to wear a helmet because I believe in a mythical man in the sky......

5 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I've seen the aftermath of plenty of brains splattered everywhere, I'm not traumatised.  The mess at accident scenes is not really likely to be lessened by a helmet.  There have been many studies done in the States and helmet use does save lives, but leads to more neck and brain injuries and to be honest, I'd rather be dead than have some sort of vegative or restrictive injury,  

Maybe I should just get religion and be able to choose not to wear a helmet because I believe in a mythical man in the sky......

The last time I saw any figures it was three times more likely to for a rider to suffer a brain injury without a helmet than with and those were insurance company figures so about as unbiased (for mercenary reasons) as you can get.

Anyway, this photo would be enough for me.  Call me squeamish...

motorcycle-helmet-after-accident.jpg

Umm.....as a motorcyclist, cyclists (and car driver) can see both sides of the argument here. 

Undoubtedly, a helmet makes you feel safer. That's not a good thing as you tend to take more risks. It also deadens the senses, so you're not as aware of your surroundings. As others have pointed out, greater risk of neck breaks et al are one of the consequences of helmet wearing.

Just a pity that helmet technology is still from the stone-ages imo. 

18 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Cyclists should be made to wear them also. I really struggle to have any sympathy for those who have serious head injuries because they wasn't wearing one. 

I once worked in a&e and someone came in having not wore won and it was a horrible sight.

While I agree with you I know there is some differing research on cycle helmets suggesting that they can sometimes make the situation worse. 

10 hours ago, Tomarse said:

While I agree with you I know there is some differing research on cycle helmets suggesting that they can sometimes make the situation worse. 

When the head hits the floor on a push bike the speed is generally not high enough to cause huge trauma, but obviously is still can, but just less likely. A helmet can cause neck rotation causing lasting damage to the nerve system. Personally I don't wear one.

However on my motorbike I'm a full facer all the way. But if the law changed I may end up up popping to the shops and not wearing it because I can and I'm lazy. The law forces me and I'd like it to stay that way.

• Admin
16 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Yeah motorcyclists can not wear helmets- But they are then liable for all costs of NHS treatment in the event of an accident.

Seems reasonable.

You could make that argument for anyone not wearing a seat belt, taking part in sports, drunken recklessness, the obese,  smokers, drug users.......... the list is endless, 

22 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You could make that argument for anyone not wearing a seat belt, taking part in sports, drunken recklessness, the obese,  smokers, drug users.......... the list is endless, 

Quite rightly so. I would make all of those pay extra as long as a medical condition hasn't bought on such ailments.  Sports, Driving and riding you have insurance to cover medical conditions caused by injury, if you are not following the basic rules of the insurance (such as due care and attention) it won't pay out.

43 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

You can...but people in sports are insured.

There others can lump in with the "you made your choice" category and pay.

• Admin

Not everyone in sports is insured, many moons ago I used to go caving and surf canoeing- wasn't insured for either.  I do lots of fishing, I can't say I have ever thought about getting insurance for that either.  Maybe organised sport within clubs has insurance, but there is plenty of sport that goes on without that level of admin and organisation.

Archived