IGNORED

Parking Charge Notices

The Coach

Good day all.

Do parking charge notices have to be paid?

I don't have much a case it seems. The private car park do state their laws, even though the signs are rather small within this car park.

However, the amount they are asking for (£100) is ridiculous. Even though they are offering a discount charge of £60 within two weeks of issue.

Just wondering if it should actually be paid. Or worth ignoring until they leave you alone? Although a small claims court could be involved?

Regards

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

Have a read through this thread @Red_Wizard may be of use?

Hmm unfortunately circumstances are entirely different. I can hold up my hands and say yes I was 15 minutes over the applicable time. However, a charge of £100 is just plain ridiculous. Which I am not prepared to pay. Even the "discount" of £60 is still far-fetched.

1 hour ago, Red_Wizard said:

Hmm unfortunately circumstances are entirely different. I can hold up my hands and say yes I was 15 minutes over the applicable time. However, a charge of £100 is just plain ridiculous. Which I am not prepared to pay. Even the "discount" of £60 is still far-fetched.

I was in a very similar situation Wizard. I got a notice in Windsor for being 15 mins late through my own poor timekeeping. I was happy to compensate the company for the time owed, but they sent me a £60 fine followed by a threat of £100 if I didn't pay in time.

The question is: should you pay?

I read all the internet forums at the time. In short, if you have the minerals and don't mind getting postal bombardments for a good few months, put all the letters in the bin. They can always take you to court, but that is just a threat that would cost them a lot of money and happens only rarely. It's whether you can stomach the possibility that this might actually happen and not pay/ignore all correspondence.

7 minutes ago, SARJ said:

I was in a very similar situation Wizard. I got a notice in Windsor for being 15 mins late through my own poor timekeeping. I was happy to compensate the company for the time owed, but they sent me a £60 fine followed by a threat of £100 if I didn't pay in time.

The question is: should you pay?

I read all the internet forums at the time. In short, if you have the minerals and don't mind getting postal bombardments for a good few months, put all the letters in the bin. They can always take you to court, but that is just a threat that would cost them a lot of money and happens only rarely. It's whether you can stomach the possibility that this might actually happen and not pay/ignore all correspondence.

Seems ours are similar then @SARJ

Did you get in contact with the company? Surely then you are admitting you have received their letter?

The big question is what I have highlighted from your comment. It does happen rarely, though it can still actually happen.

20 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

Seems ours are similar then @SARJ

Did you get in contact with the company? Surely then you are admitting you have received their letter?

The big question is what I have highlighted from your comment. It does happen rarely, though it can still actually happen.

Seems ours were identitcal, I was 15 mins late back but did not think them charging me £60 was fair.

Unfortunately I was un-learned in such things at that time and angrily wrote a letter the nxt day saying I would pay but only for lost revenue, which I expected to be around £5 :laugh:. Naturally they wrote back with fancy, police looking letterting and judicial type paper threatening bigger fines and court, so I paid up. Only a week later did I properly investigate and discovered I should have just kept ignoring the letters and pretend I never received them.

To answer your question though: yes, it CAN happen, but from what I gather it's very rare. I know plenty of people with similar fines who just ignore everything and they never heard any more. It's whether you got the minerals to play the waiting game and hope they give up.

Many of the people I know have gotten their fines from the car park outside City by Halfords/KFC. All ignored the letters. None were taken to Court. But I gather these companies are very persistent. You'll be getting at least 1 letter a week for a good six months before they stop.

3 hours ago, SARJ said:

Seems ours were identitcal, I was 15 mins late back but did not think them charging me £60 was fair.

Unfortunately I was un-learned in such things at that time and angrily wrote a letter the nxt day saying I would pay but only for lost revenue, which I expected to be around £5 :laugh:. Naturally they wrote back with fancy, police looking letterting and judicial type paper threatening bigger fines and court, so I paid up. Only a week later did I properly investigate and discovered I should have just kept ignoring the letters and pretend I never received them.

To answer your question though: yes, it CAN happen, but from what I gather it's very rare. I know plenty of people with similar fines who just ignore everything and they never heard any more. It's whether you got the minerals to play the waiting game and hope they give up.

Many of the people I know have gotten their fines from the car park outside City by Halfords/KFC. All ignored the letters. None were taken to Court. But I gather these companies are very persistent. You'll be getting at least 1 letter a week for a good six months before they stop.

Found out from other people to just ignore it. They've had the same "notices" in the same car park. With no outcome from the company. Worse comes to worse the amount of £100 is ridiculous and far covers so called "loss of trade". Thank you anyhow for your input @SARJ hope all is well!

On 05/01/2017 at 15:06, Red_Wizard said:

Good day all.

Do parking charge notices have to be paid?

I don't have much a case it seems. The private car park do state their laws, even though the signs are rather small within this car park.

However, the amount they are asking for (£100) is ridiculous. Even though they are offering a discount charge of £60 within two weeks of issue.

Just wondering if it should actually be paid. Or worth ignoring until they leave you alone? Although a small claims court could be involved?

Regards

My understanding is that if the car park is a Council site then you should pay.  However, if it is a private car park then you are not obliged to pay.  As others have said - you will be bombarded with official looking letters and threats which should all be placed in the round file.

11 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

My understanding is that if the car park is a Council site then you should pay.  However, if it is a private car park then you are not obliged to pay.  As others have said - you will be bombarded with official looking letters and threats which should all be placed in the round file.

Exactly this. Councils issue fixed penalty notices - in which you have to pay unless you can prove otherwise.

On 06/01/2017 at 13:49, SARJ said:

Been parking in that car park for years and i've still not even recieved a letter from them. I'll suddenly start getting them now I've wrote this no doubt but they will all go into the nearest bin. 

To be fair tho I always go to Kfc and to B&M before a match so the least they could do is allow me to park there on a matchday. 

Lots of info here in the link underneath. My own experience is ignore them, don't ring, don't write, don't acknowledge it in any way. They'll send all manner of "official" looking correspondence and probably, eventually, it will get sold on to a debt-collecting agency to whom you should do similar. Eventually it'll just get forgotten about. Bon chance. 

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Love threads like these!

I ignore the pikey companies that try and 'charge l'.

They aren't law inforcement or local councils, so **** them.

If you were to respond, I'd say no thanks, who was the driver that day?! Then charge them £200 for having to send them a letter/email.

Or just ignore them and ride the waves of threat.

I've had these pricks try to 'charge' me twice and ignored them and not paid a penny. Same for some family and friends :)

Archived