IGNORED

When the FA Cup was the FA Cup !

BobBobSuperBob

Following on from the 1982 thread , thought a few might like to remember the FA Cup when it was special

(We don't get many chances to indulge and our FA Cup performances have been few and far between 

Personally. , can never relive these too many times , the memories still create a shiver down the spine 

Especially this one ;)

Dave, that Filbert St game wasn't a Saturday wasn't it, but so icy all local football called off??

We took thousands up there and to answer CotswoldRed, I bet it stayed on as they got promised Match of the Day highlights money as so many other games were called off.

Only time Junior Bent ever got a shot on target!!!

When we played Chelsea it was the most scared I've ever been at the Gate they brought a right mob, Rod from Eastenders beaten up in the Club car  park beforehand. 

Filbert Street with my Jacki having a blinder on a wet pitch great day. 

Anfield a great day out with plenty of beer and I took the Mrs to drive the mini bus. 

Three great wins and memories that will always be treasured. Far too young for the other games!!

Ian Seymour doing the commentary for the gas away game , used to play cricket with him a lovely guy now sadly gone . 

COYR 

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was there at Filbert St for Leicester City.  I always played Saturday's so not at any of the others.

Jacki showed his class that day , looked like he was playing on AstroTurf whilst everyone else struggled with the icy pitch

All except him and Junior who terrorised them all afternoon

Was a great day out - Lumsdens one and only highlight !

13 minutes ago, shelts said:

When we played Chelsea it was the most scared I've ever been at the Gate they brought a right mob, Rod from Eastenders beaten up in the Club car  park beforehand. 

Filbert Street with my Jacki having a blinder on a wet pitch great day. 

Anfield a great day out with plenty of beer and I took the Mrs to drive the mini bus. 

Three great wins and memories that will always be treasured. Far too young for the other games!!

Ian Seymour doing the commentary for the gas away game , used to play cricket with him a lovely guy now sadly gone . 

COYR 

And got more than they bargained for 

Ehhh Hickey

:whistle:

(Apparently)

Chelsea game in pouring rain as I remember, put a bet on before the game for that well known poacher Dave Rennie to score first! Memorable for Glenn 'Psycho' Humphries' sliding tackle and Ronnie Sinclair nearly decapitating himself on the post!

Leicester game on a frozen pitch, Jacki was mesmeric, ice skates instead of boots....ran the show!

Nothing else to say about Liverpool game, if you were there you know how good it was! When Ian Rush missed from half a yard out you just knew it was going to be our night. Little scouse lad swapped his 'pool beanie hat with my brother for his City one on way out, my brother still has it to this day! Oh and the Kop staying to the end to applaud us off. Class.

1 hour ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Dave, that Filbert St game wasn't a Saturday wasn't it, but so icy all local football called off??

We took thousands up there and to answer CotswoldRed, I bet it stayed on as they got promised Match of the Day highlights money as so many other games were called off.

Only time Junior Bent ever got a shot on target!!!

not sure but was watching a clip the other day , I thought what a f  in player . we could have sold him too united , wigan, blackpool. faster than ivan .

8 minutes ago, reddoh said:

not sure but was watching a clip the other day , I thought what a f  in player . we could have sold him too united , wigan, blackpool. faster than ivan .

Another underrated player , as lots of lightening quick players , inconsistent in  managing to compose himself for the final product

Tore Liverpool up in those FA Cup games

When he did manage to compose himself (Swindon away !) he looked top class , so close , so frustrating 

I was on a course a few years back and got talking to this Chelsea fan and his recollections of that match was the rain it just didn't seem to stop - he arrived home in London soaked to the skin- oh and they got battered both on and off the pitch.

Strangely enough he rated it probably as his most memorable away day.

Anyone remember Torquay at home? (Late 80s?).  Absolutely terrible match with neither side looking like scoring.  Talking to my mates we were adamant we wouldn't go to the reply as game had been so bad and then Torquay got a late winner.  We were Div 3 and they were Div 4 I think so was a shock result and absolutely gutting as it felt like the FA Cup really meant something back then.  Makes games like Liverpool etc all the sweeter though.  

5 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I was on a course a few years back and got talking to this Chelsea fan and his recollections of that match was the rain it just didn't seem to stop - he arrived home in London soaked to the skin- oh and they got battered both on and off the pitch.

Strangely enough he rated it probably as his most memorable away day.

North Street, H+C and Liquid Assets -- so I am told!

Was all reported on the Chelsea Headhunter forum at one time, if you want to read all about it. Proper Cup game! Biggest mob Bristol City ever put out IMO and defo one of the biggest to visit AG. Nasty atmosphere that day, it was wet (very wet), the ground wss rocking, infact my vocal chords have never recovered! Best footie days for me.

Leicester away was mad also. Great memories. In those days, you were glad to get back to Bristol in one piece

Anyway Fleetwood today, :laugh:

3 hours ago, MrBibs said:

Anyone remember Torquay at home? (Late 80s?).  Absolutely terrible match with neither side looking like scoring.  Talking to my mates we were adamant we wouldn't go to the reply as game had been so bad and then Torquay got a late winner.  We were Div 3 and they were Div 4 I think so was a shock result and absolutely gutting as it felt like the FA Cup really meant something back then.  Makes games like Liverpool etc all the sweeter though.  

Or two attempts to get past Bath City at AG

and numerous defeats at Norwich , Leicester and some painful memories of robbery by the Sags !!   :whistle:

Archived