IGNORED

LJ - now the pressure is on

old_eastender

Having survived leading us to 9 defeats in 10 games, something that would have resulted in almost any other manager at any other club being dismissed, LJ has been predictably backed in the transfer window. Now he has 3 experienced new players running down the spine on the team, he has to start delivering results.

Today's game (I will be there supporting the team) is a bit of a free pass, I suspect the 2 foreign signings will not play.

The following 4 Jan league games are then crucial, I really hope these new signings provide the spur we need to start getting some wins on the board again, but should we see no wins in those 4 Jan games I would not be surprised to see a new manager in charge for Rotherham at home. 

11 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Having survived leading us to 9 defeats in 10 games, something that would have resulted in almost any other manager at any other club being dismissed, LJ has been predictably backed in the transfer window. Now he has 3 experienced new players running down the spine on the team, he has to start delivering results.

Today's game (I will be there supporting the team) is a bit of a free pass, I suspect the 2 foreign signings will not play.

The following 4 Jan league games are then crucial, I really hope these new signings provide the spur we need to start getting some wins on the board again, but should we see no wins in those 4 Jan games I would not be surprised to see a new manager in charge for Rotherham at home. 

great post, LJ has no excuses now

8 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

I would expect the new signings to play in our strongest line up...whatever that is.

I agree with this as it makes sense to give them some match practice in a relatively unimportant game. Even if they don't all play 90 minutes it's better than starting their first match against Cardiff. 

Pressure was on LJ from Day one, in life every professional is under pressure to achieve results , The higher up the food chain you are , the more it  builds .

In time LJ will pass on to pastures new , for most people the stress is too much for more than a few years.

I believe he will come good , the team around him is top class and with SL's backing we should start to get back on track .

I predict a rather nervy 2-1 win against Fleetwood followed up by a 3-0 win against Cardiff .

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Do I detect that you actually want us to lose these four games or I am just being cynical.

I don't think there will be much pressure today, this game has come at a good time.  We can forget the woes of our league form for a fortnight and all enjoy a bit of cup magic.  The real pressure is Cardiff and Forest.  With our enhanced squad, we should be looking at taking 4 pts.

As much as we need a win, if we start the 3 new signings, he gets a pass from me if we don't do well. Today should be used, if it can in regards to clearance, as a game to get the new guys to gel with the squad. I still don't think we should struggle with Fleetwood with the new signings but if we do, as long as they play, then I'll keep in mind it should help for the league. 

24 minutes ago, Malago said:

Do I detect that you actually want us to lose these four games or I am just being cynical.

You are being cynical, I'm no fan of LJ but I want the club to have success. I genuinely hope the new signings will enable us to turn things around, but if LJ was to fail to get us a win in the next 4 league games with the benefit of the new signings, then I suspect SLs desire to see the club succeed would override his empathy for LJ and he would be gone.

19 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

You are being cynical, I'm no fan of LJ but I want the club to have success. I genuinely hope the new signings will enable us to turn things around, but if LJ was to fail to get us a win in the next 4 league games with the benefit of the new signings, then I suspect SLs desire to see the club succeed would override his empathy for LJ and he would be gone.

Good post. I think you (and I) are not alone in really wanting to see City succeed but being sceptical of LJ.

unfortunately it seems to some people if you're in any way critical of the manager, you are somehow anti-Bristol City... which is insane!

hes been backed incredibly well, deserves January... to be honest just the law of averages says things will improve!  If things should not improve then the board have a decision to make but we'd almost certainly be in the relegation places. 

For what it's worth my expectation is an upturn in results. What I really hope for is a consistency of formation and selection to give he players a fair chance of succeeding. 

9 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Good post. I think you (and I) are not alone in really wanting to see City succeed but being sceptical of LJ.

unfortunately it seems to some people if you're in any way critical of the manager, you are somehow anti-Bristol City... which is insane!

hes been backed incredibly well, deserves January... to be honest just the law of averages says things will improve!  If things should not improve then the board have a decision to make but we'd almost certainly be in the relegation places. 

For what it's worth my expectation is an upturn in results. What I really hope for is a consistency of formation and selection to give he players a fair chance of succeeding. 

By the very nature of being critical of the manager you're undermining the club and having a negative effect on its prospects.  If you don't like the manager better to keep it toyourself and let those who actually are responsible make their own mind up about his future.  Shouting from the sidelines and spreading negativity doesn't help anybody.

9 minutes ago, Malago said:

By the very nature of being critical of the manager you're undermining the club and having a negative effect on its prospects.  If you don't like the manager better to keep it toyourself and let those who actually are responsible make their own mind up about his future.  Shouting from the sidelines and spreading negativity doesn't help anybody.

What are you, the thought police?

22 minutes ago, Malago said:

I take your point but this is a forum for discussion. 

I'm never at the game from the sideline 'spreading negativity'. In fact I don't see anyone doing that. I desperately want to see City do well (and have done for approaching 40 years) as does everyone here and at games, so far as I can see.

I really think you're giving me and this forum too much credit saying it's possible to 'undermine the club' through the power of discussion. I wouldn't think SL gives a monkey's what's said on here. 

5 minutes ago, Malago said:

No, I'm just expressing my opinion that continually criticising the manager is not helpful to the club an it's prospects and to pretend otherwise is a self delusion.

That's your opinion.  Others see it differently and have a right to voice their opinion. 

16 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I take your point but this is a forum for discussion. 

I'm never at the game from the sideline 'spreading negativity'. In fact I don't see anyone doing that. I desperately want to see City do well (and have done for approaching 40 years) as does everyone here and at games, so far as I can see.

I really think you're giving me and this forum too much credit saying it's possible to 'undermine the club' through the power of discussion. I wouldn't think SL gives a monkey's what's said on here. 

I think your last point is very true.  I guess everyone has their own reasons for using this forum, but as you've said  ultimately it's all a complete waste of time, because none of us has any influence on what happens at AG.  That said, the continual drip, drip, drip of negativity gets on my tits.

44 minutes ago, Malago said:

How is that so? Do you really think LJ and the team have the time to trawl through this forum and take to heart a bunch of opinions from people who mostly know little about football management? And even if they did, do you think they would go into a sulk about it and let it affect performances? Of course not.

You cant expect people not to be cynical and critical when we are on our worst run of form in 11 years. Like yourself, I also tire of constant negativity and find it draining but if I dont want to read it, I simply give this forum a wide berth. Its far far less helpful in my opinion to pretend everything is OK when it blatantly isn't and if people want to vent frustrations here then fair enough, as long as they are behind the team come kickoff.

27 minutes ago, Malago said:

I think your last point is very true.  I guess everyone has their own reasons for using this forum, but as you've said  ultimately it's all a complete waste of time, because none of us has any influence on what happens at AG.  That said, the continual drip, drip, drip of negativity gets on my tits.

Fair enough - I guess we've different negativity thresholds. 

I described myself a sceptical of LJ. Said he'd beeen incredibly well backed, expect results to improve and that he should be given at least January. I'm not sure it's negative. 

I think if LJ gets back to a settled formation and team, trying to impose ourselves on the opppsition then we will be fine. I reckon he's not been quite as positive recently. Today is a great opportunity to turn things around. So let's hope we take it. 

We're all City fans on here and there are lots of ways of showing it. Spare a thought for me..... I desperately want a win today because ive not made my usual 450 mile round trip and I'm stuck here 20 miles from... Fleetwood. Gawd help me if we lose! It's bad enough with Preston always turning us over!!!

Here's  to 3 or 4 quick wins and all the LJ talk can be filed away. 

40 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

How is that so? Do you really think LJ and the team have the time to trawl through this forum and take to heart a bunch of opinions from people who mostly know little about football management? And even if they did, do you think they would go into a sulk about it and let it affect performances? Of course not.

You cant expect people not to be cynical and critical when we are on our worst run of form in 11 years. Like yourself, I also tire of constant negativity and find it draining but if I dont want to read it, I simply give this forum a wide berth. Its far far less helpful in my opinion to pretend everything is OK when it blatantly isn't and if people want to vent frustrations here then fair enough, as long as they are behind the team come kickoff.

No way, how can they not read this forum and take the expert advice of posters like Londoner who has infinite knowledge on everything and everything including football management... :blink:

3 hours ago, Malago said:

grandma-cool-story-bro.jpg

Archived