IGNORED

'oooh we should be better look at our stadium'

The Nest Egg

Enough.

Moronic chat.

We only need to look at the clubs below us (some of which are in deep financial doodoo) to realise it doesn't matter how big your stadium is. Look at teams like Coventry and Charlton, playing in what is essentially a soulless echo chamber due to their owners. I hate this assumption among many that somehow getting a bigger and prettier stadium was going to magically bump us into the promised land and suddenly stick a massive rocket up players like Jamie Paterson's a**e. Meanwhile, look at Bournemouth's 'League One' stadium as they hold teams like Arsenal to a draw. I think the stadium has perhaps given some of us a massive optimism bias- yet this was in no way the last piece of the jigsaw. We will never be close to the Premier League until the culture of this club is fundamentally changed and unfortunately a pretty new stand and shiny red seats is not a substitute for this far reaching cultural change.

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Bournemouth's ground is pants though, you have to say. Blackpool too when they were in the EPL.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong it isn't exactly a work of art but they're in the promised land, and we're not. Just annoys me to see people on facebook shout about how we have a Prem stadium and how it's bewildering the FA haven't promoted us immediately out of principle

3 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong it isn't exactly a work of art but they're in the promised land, and we're not. Just annoys me to see people on facebook shout about how we have a Prem stadium and how it's bewildering the FA haven't promoted us immediately out of principle

Yeah I hear you mate. Facebook seems to contain a lot of nutty city fans though. 

I like to think that most fans see us as competitors at this level. We have no right to be any higher, but certainly we have the resources to compete in the Championship. 

11 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Enough.

Moronic chat.

We only need to look at the clubs below us (some of which are in deep financial doodoo) to realise it doesn't matter how big your stadium is. Look at teams like Coventry and Charlton, playing in what is essentially a soulless echo chamber due to their owners. I hate this assumption among many that somehow getting a bigger and prettier stadium was going to magically bump us into the promised land and suddenly stick a massive rocket up players like Jamie Paterson's a**e. Meanwhile, look at Bournemouth's 'League One' stadium as they hold teams like Arsenal to a draw. I think the stadium has perhaps given some of us a massive optimism bias- yet this was in no way the last piece of the jigsaw. We will never be close to the Premier League until the culture of this club is fundamentally changed and unfortunately a pretty new stand and shiny red seats is not a substitute for this far reaching cultural change.

What exactly is it that you're responding to here?

5 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Yeah I hear you mate. Facebook seems to contain a lot of nutty city fans though. 

I like to think that most fans see us as competitors at this level. We have no right to be any higher, but certainly we have the resources to compete in the Championship. 

Well it's about time this started to show!

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

I think the stadium has perhaps given some of us a massive optimism bias- yet this was in no way the last piece of the jigsaw. We will never be close to the Premier League until the culture of this club is fundamentally changed and unfortunately a pretty new stand and shiny red seats is not a substitute for this far reaching cultural change.

I think the stadium does help us impress potential signees. At least one of the latest three mentioned it in their initial 1 minute interview.

Helps convince them we are serious and looking to improve as a club, and that we aren't some little tinpot outfit.

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

The only way we're going to win is by playing Hegeler in midfield apparently. This is from an fb expert that I doubt had ever seen him play!

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What exactly is it that you're responding to here?

I'm responding to a pattern that has emerged over the last few months, which I have seen sparingly on this forum and mostly on facebook. We like to throw around 'we are a bigger club with a better stadium' like its an asinine game of Top Trumps, which is quite frankly embarrassing because most of the clubs we do this comparison to would easily be bigger from the perspective of a neutral. We have a reputation in general for being completely up ourselves and thinking we're Billy Big Bo****ks FC and it really irritates me when these fans subsequently get angry over a few games seemingly only because they thought once the stadium was constructed we'd magically be challenging for the league

I think the stadium does help us impress potential signees. At least one of the latest three mentioned it in their initial 1 minute interview.

I think it's pretty obvious for the new players to mention it in interviews - you'd want to say something nice about your new employers, wouldn't you and you could hardly say 'Club has nice car park' or 'Coffee Sop in back of stand one of best I have see in all Europe'. Plus the ''new stadium'' thing will have been repeated to them ad nauseum in an effort to persuade them to sign/gloss over the fact we'd lost 9 in 10: New signing - "So what place are Bristol in the Division Table?" Adam Baker's Dolphin or whoever - "Yeah, um, have we told you about the new stadium?! Look at that! New seats! Wow..."

Whilst I agree newquay, that using the stadium thing as a carrot to dangle is pretty rubbish (plus when will it stop being a 'new stadium' and therefore an obsolete persuasion tactic?), where have you garnered this fact that we have a reputation for being up ourselves? I'm not criticising, I'm interested. From what little I have heard, we have a mixed bag of a reputation between a 'nice club' and a 'basket case', but not thinking we're Billy Big Wotsits. You sure it's not just the gAss who think that about us?

9 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I think it's pretty obvious for the new players to mention it in interviews - you'd want to say something nice about your new employers, wouldn't you and you could hardly say 'Club has nice car park' or 'Coffee Sop in back of stand one of best I have see in all Europe'. Plus the ''new stadium'' thing will have been repeated to them ad nauseum in an effort to persuade them to sign/gloss over the fact we'd lost 9 in 10: New signing - "So what place are Bristol in the Division Table?" Adam Baker's Dolphin or whoever - "Yeah, um, have we told you about the new stadium?! Look at that! New seats! Wow..."

Whilst I agree newquay, that using the stadium thing as a carrot to dangle is pretty rubbish (plus when will it stop being a 'new stadium' and therefore an obsolete persuasion tactic?), where have you garnered this fact that we have a reputation for being up ourselves? I'm not criticising, I'm interested. From what little I have heard, we have a mixed bag of a reputation between a 'nice club' and a 'basket case', but not thinking we're Billy Big Wotsits. You sure it's not just the gAss who think that about us?

I'd say it's a general consensus in the West Country really- even among those who don't follow football. The rhetoric that is always applied to our TV appearances is that we're a sleeping giant in a city deserving of PL football and I honestly think some of our fans just gobble that up a bit too much for my liking when the truth is it's just a couple of lines said by every commentator ever as opposed to actually doing research on us as a side.

Archived