IGNORED

O'Donnell's slice (with butter)

Lack of Action Man

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Doesn't help when goalkeepers get more passes to them than any of the outfield players.

I agree, it's unbelievable the number of times we pass back to the keeper, often on his weak foot, for him to lump it forward.

I do wonder why we do this, it may be safety first, but it seems more like passing responsibility instead of taking responsibility.

4 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I agree, it's unbelievable the number of times we pass back to the keeper, often on his weak foot, for him to lump it forward.

I do wonder why we do this, it may be safety first, but it seems more like passing responsibility instead of taking responsibility.

The poor passing ( or pissing) around at the back has cost us a fair few points this season. The other team sees the negativity and press our defenders into making mistakes.

Good save in the 90th minute, but I think we saw why he is #2.

Apart from nearly tripping himself up with what should have been a routine clearance - he had time to take it with whichever foot he wanted - he also lost the ball with an appalling low goal kick to a Fleetwood player in our half. If you aren't going to direct it, at least get it over the halfway line!!!

Wonder if he needs a loan. There was no-one here slagging him off last season. If anyone wants to suggest they were find me a quote; he was universally popular. 

At Wigan he lost his way a bit and came here, gained his confidence, ran to the south stand after we scored and became 'one of us' in the month spell before perm signing. 

I do just wonder, can we find him a 1month loan elsewhere. He is clearly a confidence player. He is also a player of the season at a good Walsall side in League One. 

I don't think we are man managing him well personally. Get him out as a number one and get him confident. 

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Wonder if he needs a loan. There was no-one here slagging him off last season. If anyone wants to suggest they were find me a quote; he was universally popular. 

At Wigan he lost his way a bit and came here, gained his confidence, ran to the south stand after we scored and became 'one of us' in the month spell before perm signing. 

I do just wonder, can we find him a 1month loan elsewhere. He is clearly a confidence player. He is also a player of the season at a good Walsall side in League One. 

I don't think we are man managing him well personally. Get him out as a number one and get him confident. 

I do wonder if ROD suffers from a confidence disorder. Like you refer to, when he first came here he was a lion heart between the sticks. I wonder if for every time something goes wrong for ROD he spirals into a bad place mentally :dunno:

3 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I do wonder if ROD suffers from a confidence disorder. Like you refer to, when he first came here he was a lion heart between the sticks. I wonder if for every time something goes wrong for ROD he spirals into a bad place mentally :dunno:

That is my concern too. He was fantastic when he arrived and when we signed permanently was well received by all. Start of the season we were probably calling him one of the stalwart first names on the team sheet: again invite anyone to quote from August who said otherwise....

A few mistakes later and he's struggling to shake it. I think he needs a change of scenery. I do not think that means permanently. I also think this is where our sports psychologist needs to earn his wage. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That is my concern too. He was fantastic when he arrived and when we signed permanently was well received by all. Start of the season we were probably calling him one of the stalwart first names on the team sheet: again invite anyone to quote from August who said otherwise....

A few mistakes later and he's struggling to shake it. I think he needs a change of scenery. I do not think that means permanently. I also think this is where our sports psychologist needs to earn his wage. 

It would certainly explain what happened with him at Wigan, because when we first signed him I didn't understand how we were able to get a 3rd choice goalkeeper as "good" as ROD. Now, having seen his form seemingly collapse I am suspicious that the psychological aspect to his game is vulnerable to implosion. 

38 minutes ago, 29AR said:

He can't have a loan for 1 month to an EFL club, half season only.  I'm not sure the rules of going somewhere like Weston, like McCoulsky...assuming that's an age related loan, and no point sending to Weston is there.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He can't have a loan for 1 month to an EFL club, half season only.  I'm not sure the rules of going somewhere like Weston, like McCoulsky...assuming that's an age related loan, and no point sending to Weston is there.

I just learned something :mf_sleep:

and Reading match day thread I was suggesting MA should have sorted an emergency 1m CB loan before loaning out Moore if that was his intention. Apologies MA! 

Thought Fleetwoods keeper looked just as good as RoD or FF - shot stopper etc... surely to push on in the Championship we need more than that, of course goalkeepers are generally good shot stoppers, it's their bread and butter. We need someone with more to him than that.

20 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Thought Fleetwoods keeper looked just as good as RoD or FF - shot stopper etc... surely to push on in the Championship we need more than that, of course goalkeepers are generally good shot stoppers, it's their bread and butter. We need someone with more to him than that.

I'd take commanding over a shot-stopper in the championship all day long.

There's very few wonder goals or wonder saves in a Championship game - just look how rarely each team is involved in a 'goal of the day' on SSN or you walk away saying 'what a save'. 

I think a lot more Championship goals are scored either from defensive lapses which sell the goalkeeper short - regardless of 'shot stopping' or from crosses keepers are too timid to attack. Give me an aggressive, quick footed goalkeeper all day long 

Archived