IGNORED

Andy cole

bemmieredrobin

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Really he has played for arguably the biggest club in the world at a time when they dominated English football, as well as other big clubs.

i have never once heard him say or referenced bad things about us.

no footballer grows up dreaming of playing for bristol city outside of Bristol, so why would he need to talk about us when all his achievements have been with other clubs.

Jamie Vardy won the PL and plays in the Champions League, played at the Euros and internationally. He's always gracious about Fleetwood (although acknowledge there's a film spurning that for the cynic). Joe Hart, won the PL, plays in CL and internationally is extremely gracious about Shrewsbury  

Deli Alli re MK Dons, Chris Smalling and Maidstone, pretty much all the players who came out of Crewe's academy (Danny Murphy, Robbie Savage etc) speak highly of how they developed them. 

He's right we were a stepping stone - no problem with that in isolation. The problem for me is when that's all he has to say. He didn't say something along the lines of 'they gave me a chance which I was grateful for, gave me a platform and allowed me to earn my move and for that I'm grateful' etc over many opportunities.  

11 hours ago, 29AR said:

As said previous I think I look back on his time as fondly as you. BCFC legend - which I responded to - far from it. I expect more from a 'legend'. Agree to disagree on his acknowledgement of his time here and whether he could or should have done more. 

My dig at City fans wasn't directed at you 29AR, and I'm in agreement about not viewing him as a legend. I think all legends need to have a special rapport with the fans, something that Cole never came close to enjoying. Maybe if he'd thrown his shirt into the crowd a couple of times and kissed his badge he would have got that, but he didn't and I can live with that. 

For some reason I disliked him strongly in the years after, but I think much of that was an unfortunate combination of his perceived aloofness while at city, the fact we didn't get a sell-on (obviously no fault of his) and that he ended up playing for United at a time when they were at their most despicably arrogant. The fact he never seemed to give us a credit stuck in the throat all that much more now he was swanning about like footballing royalty with the biggest team in the country. 

That said, I've chilled the **** out since, and now am genuinely grateful to have seen the blooming of such a talent. Honestly, i still remember his debut against Wolves like it was yesterday. While it was Jacki who rightly earned the headlines that night, you could tell Cole's class a mile off. 

3 hours ago, adamski said:

He is the best striker we've had at the gate in the 47 years I've been watching. Brilliant goal scorer, Made average Bob look very average...of course he was going to move on, we were not going anywhere! He does acknowledge us in his autobiography 

I have to stick up for my name sake here !!!

Dont I ??  :yes:

Andy Cole was a top striker, no doubt about that and had more 'ability' than Bob

229 goals in 509 appearances is a very impressive rturn considering the level he played at (Goal per 2.2 games ish)

(20 in 41 for us , at this level)

Bob scored 256 in 749 appearances (Goal per 2.9 ish games)

Up to the move to Bolton at 31yrs old he had scored 184 in 461 at a goal every 2.4 games

58 goals for us in 128 games 

I'm sure not many would turn any of those rates down in a return from any striker  !!

The real Super Bob was never 'average' !!! 

:no:

:P

( Accept you are saying in comparison with Andy Cole ;) )

Interesting to compare Andy Cole (at this level with us - Cole was 21 when he came here) and Tammy (17 in 31 career appearances to date ), 

Impressively Similar from Tammy at 2/3 years younger , especially when it stands up to someone of Coles pedigree 

Interesting to compare against some of the other strikers   (Playing for us)

John Atyeo 314 in 599 

Tom Ritchie 102 in 414

Kevin Mabbutt 29 in 129

Ade Akinbyi 21 in 47

Tony Thorpe 51 in 128

Maynard  46 in 130 

16 hours ago, 29AR said:

City legend...? Andy Cole?! He was here less time than Styvar and acknowledged us for absolutely f all. 

Sorry but he's very, very far from a legend in my eyes. He's probably a 'great guy' or 'lovely bloke' at every FL ground he visits in the car park. It's part of his 'brand'. I for one am grateful for what he did '92-93 much as I'm grateful for Maynard '08-10 but the postponing years both are bellends

I don't agree with the sentiment, but I did enjoy the italicisation of bellends!

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Isn't it not correct as well that in his autobiography, we aren't even mentioned? As in he writes that he went straight out of Arsenal and walked into the Newcastle 1st team?

Not sure if true or not as I've never read it but that's what I was told.

I'm sure he mentions his time with us and Smith toughening him up

29 minutes ago, TRL said:

I'm sure he mentions his time with us and Smith toughening him up

There is plenty of mention of City as I recall from what I was told by someone who read it, and he speaks very highly of Tony Fawthrop although spells his name wrong - there was a thread about this on OTIB in 2007 judging by the search tool. Said something less positive in a FourFourTwo interview once however.

15 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

If you know why he did it it's no laughing matter but he was still wrong anyway

so, you're saying there was more to it than just the 'postman always rang twice' ?

...if mitigation exists perhaps it should be more widely known about ?  

On the face of it (without being itk) all anyone can reasonably think is 'what a barsteward thing to do' and understandably condemn a former hero to zero with huge regret.

Definitely NOT a laughing matter whichever way its looked at..

29 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Will Abraham turn out better? What do you all think? 

I don't think he will. Cole had that something a bit special which I can't put my finger on. Tammy looks a great in the box preditor but never comes across as a special player in the way Cole did. 

Time will tell, I hope Tammy gets the chance to ply his trade at the top level  to prove he can be held up their with Cole.

Cole was critisised for needing 4 or 5 chances to score 1 , Tammy's finishing is nowhere near as good yet. He is a different type of player though, a real predator , needs to work on his finishing from outside the 6 yard box .

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Cole was critisised for needing 4 or 5 chances to score 1 , Tammy's finishing is nowhere near as good yet. He is a different type of player though, a real predator , needs to work on his finishing from outside the 6 yard box .

Not at city or Newcastle. That came once he went to man yooo he was utterly clinical for us 

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Not at city or Newcastle. That came once he went to man yooo he was utterly clinical for us 

Just making a comparison , his GPG record with us and ManYoo were similar. At Utd  he scored all sorts of goals, with us he was very raw , you can't compare either spell with Tammy, lot of improvement needed.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just making a comparison , his GPG record with us and ManYoo were similar. At Utd  he scored all sorts of goals, with us he was very raw , you can't compare either spell with Tammy, lot of improvement needed.

I think the difference is that a load of Tammy"s goals have been tap in from a deflection or a parry.  This says he has Lineker like awareness of where to be in the box, you can't teach that.

Cole was able to function better overall than Tammy imo, and what really stood out was the way he passed almost everything into the corner, never fazed never rushed just a cool calm finisher. 

Very different players but I think Cole has more natural class whereas Tammy possibly has the better positioning

7 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

so, you're saying there was more to it than just the 'postman always rang twice' ?

...if mitigation exists perhaps it should be more widely known about ?  

On the face of it (without being itk) all anyone can reasonably think is 'what a barsteward thing to do' and understandably condemn a former hero to zero with huge regret.

Definitely NOT a laughing matter whichever way its looked at..

Yes there was more to it than just a postmans knock. We've all seen those films when someone who is heavily involved in gambling can't pay his debts. Then he is put under pressure to pay up by a mob, that's what I'll say on this matter

On 1/8/2017 at 16:54, AshtonGreat said:

No way. Cole was a special player - one of the top scorers in Premier League history.

However, I still think Bob Taylor was the more exciting player at City.

Bob's big season was more exciting because it was a promotion season and the team was very exciting when on song

2 hours ago, adamski said:

Bob's big season was more exciting because it was a promotion season and the team was very exciting when on song

Agree with that, but I also think he scored more spectacular goals and was an all-round more likeable guy (Andy came across as quite surly while he was with us, although he's friendlier now!). Bob was the archetypal Roy of the Rovers-type striker!

Archived