IGNORED

FA Cup - Champions League Place

B-Rizzle

Should the winners of the FA Cup receive the 4th champions league place along with the top 3 in the premier league?

Discuss.

For me, 100% yes. The race for the top 4 is a closed competition most years anyway and I don't think finishing 4th particularly warrants such a reward.

Giving it to the cup winners would make the FA cup amazing as there would be something real to play for and might go some way to bridging that gap with the top teams.

What do you think?

100% yes but won't happen incase a non fashionable team win it ala Wigan recently. 

UEFA we distraught enough at having to put up with Leicester joining in their exclusive little party. They'already suggested rule changes to stop new teams qualifying. I think it wax an average over last 5 years or something ludicrous like that. 

No from me

Champions league = top team from each league/division (and only 1 team)

Europa cup = winners of cup competitions in each qualifying country

how can second third fourth be classed as champions  ?

why not rename the competitions "how much can we screw out of the public"

10 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I was initially a yes.  Then I remembered Wigan win it not long ago.

This is the OPs point. If there was a Champions League spot - or something really worthwhile on winning the cup - so many teams wouldn't 'de-value' the competition and field a team of reserves or youngsters. Had this been the case it would have been unlikely that Wigan would have progressed as far as the final, let alone win the competition.

16 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

This is the OPs point. If there was a Champions League spot - or something really worthwhile on winning the cup - so many teams wouldn't 'de-value' the competition and field a team of reserves or youngsters. Had this been the case it would have been unlikely that Wigan would have progressed as far as the final, let alone win the competition.

Beat me to it!

Exactly this. And even if Wigan or whoever else did win it then fair play to them! They would receive unbelievable funds and grow as a club. Yes they'd probably get hammered but there's always one English team that fails to get out of the group anyway! Look at Tottenham.

4 minutes ago, bcfcRobbo said:

Beat me to it!

Exactly this. And even if Wigan or whoever else did win it then fair play to them! They would receive unbelievable funds and grow as a club. Yes they'd probably get hammered but there's always one English team that fails to get out of the group anyway! Look at Tottenham.

They couldn't and wouldn't do any worse than Celtic anyway!

My bet is that the winners of the cup would be stronger opposition than some who qualify for the Champions League.

Archived