IGNORED

Team for Cardiff

Fishponds_Red

Not too sure who LJ will pick or how he will line them up on Saturday as he's been unpredictable to say the least recently, but he watches them in training everyday and sees a lot more of them indervidually than we do. 

IF it was up to me, on recent form home and and away, I would line Bristol City up as below - 

ROD 

Matthews Flint Wright Golbourne

Brownhill Hegeler

Reid          Tomlin       Freeman 

Abraham 

Subs

Feliding

COD

Bryan

Pack

Djuric

Paterson

Magnusson 

PS.  I would love us to have a new goal keeper that has arms longer than a T-Rex, or doesn't constantly look like he's about to make a howler before Saturday! 

Fielding 

Little Flint Wright Golbourne

Brownhill Hegeler Freeman

Tomlin

Djuric Abraham

Subs: ROD, Magnusson, Pack, Reid, Bryan, Wilbraham, Engvall.

None of this square pegs in round holes rubbish. Players played in positions they're used to, only question will be injuries etc. 

Has to be:-

Lucic or O'Donnell

Wright    Flint   Magnusson

Little.                                                                 O'Dowda                                                                                                      

Brownhill            Hegeler           Freeman

Abraham            Djuric

I think we need to find a formation that enables us to play Tomlin and 2 up top yet still enable us to have width. However, the wide players will need to be disciplined and ensure defensive cover. Thus 31312-

O'Donnell (Fielding if not injured)

Wright   Flint   Magnusson

Hageler

Bryan   Brownhill   Freeman 

Tomlin

Djuric        Abraham 

The key to this formation is Tomlin staying up the pitch and not coming to half way line to get the ball. The ball player linking the play is Hageler. His role would be simply to sit in front of the 3 defenders and act almost like a quarterback feeding Tomlin, the wide midfield players and the forwards. 

Fielding 

Wright           Flint        Magnusson 

Hegeler

Little/Freeman       Brownhill      O'Dowda/Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham                       Djuric

8 minutes ago, BS3rich said:

Fielding 

Hegeler

Tomlin

This is probably the closest , if you ignore Freeman. It would allow players playing on their natural side to go wide and whip crosses in, not run to the defender stop and pass backwards. That said , not sure Mag's will be fit for Saturday, but I do think we would be better with Hegeler in MF.

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Both Fulham goals against Cardiff today came from a wide man getting near the byline and pulling the ball back, were you watching LJ?

Please please please LJ, lets have some width. (actually that sounds quite rude now I've written it)

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Cardiff looked rubbish against Fulham, but we may need some width if we are going to punish them. Fredericks had a field day. They look very beatable and a poor side. 

And yet will will somehow manage to make them look like playoff hopefuls !!

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Cardiff looked rubbish against Fulham, but we may need some width if we are going to punish them. Fredericks had a field day. They look very beatable and a poor side. 

Except teams who look rubbish have been regularly beating us. Plus if their weakness is out wide they will have an easy day against LJ's narrow set-up. Will be surprised and ecstatic if we get more than a point and well fed up if we lose.

22 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Maybe, but Ipswich hardly looked like Real Madrid in the only league game of our last 10 that we didn't lose, but we couldn't even manage a point when we went there for the return.

After yesterday my guess is we might be able to grind out a 0-0 but as we couldn't break down a League One side even that is being optimistic.

38 minutes ago, cynic said:

A 3-4-1-2 is the optimum formation to fit in the three newbies and Tomlin.

I'd have Little and Bryan wide and Hegeler and Brownhill in the middle.

The rest - as you have it - other than Fielding who may be injured but shouldn't be there anyway. His distribution is too slow and he is expert in hoofing the ball to the opposition and setting up their attacks. 

Would like to see Lucic given another go but don't know how bad his injury is?! Fielding/O'Donnell definitely not good enough.

I don't agree. I believe O'Donnell is good enough. He needs an arm around him and told he is good enough and to play like he did earlier in the season when he most definitely was good enough. We have a much better defence now with the addition of Wright and Hegeler so there shouldn't be so much pressure on the keeper. All we need is to get the shape of the team sorted so that our midfield support the two forwards better/quicker and get some goals. That will boost the confidence of the team and that includes the keeper. Cardiff coming up but Im not sure how I feel about our prospects. New players definately make me more confident but as we are still not playing properly, that confidence decreases the more I think about the game. Very much hope LJ gets it right. Can see us stuffing Fleetwood and playing a Premiership team at home in front of a full house. COYR.

5 hours ago, BS3rich said:

Fielding 

Hegeler

Tomlin

That's pretty much what I went with.

---------------------------------------ROD / New
----------------------Wright-------------Flint----------------Magners
Svensson / Little---------------------------------------------------------Joe Bryan
-------------------------------Brownhill----------Hegeler
------------------------------------------Tomlin
-------------------------------Djuric---------------Abraham

9 hours ago, Fishponds_Red said:

Not too sure who LJ will pick or how he will line them up on Saturday as he's been unpredictable to say the least recently, but he watches them in training everyday and sees a lot more of them indervidually than we do. 

IF it was up to me, on recent form home and and away, I would line Bristol City up as below - 

ROD 

Matthews Flint Wright Golbourne

Brownhill Hegeler

Reid          Tomlin       Freeman 

Abraham 

Subs

Feliding

COD

Bryan

Pack

Djuric

Paterson

Magnusson 

PS.  I would love us to have a new goal keeper that has arms longer than a T-Rex, or doesn't constantly look like he's about to make a howler before Saturday! 

My worry is that Johnson isn't sure who to pick.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Both Fulham goals against Cardiff today came from a wide man getting near the byline and pulling the ball back, were you watching LJ?

Wasn't a full strength team. Our mate Neil came out early last week and stated that today's game was not a priority and that he would play a few fringe players. He said the same on a radio interview I heard earlier after the game today.

His first choices were back at the training ground practicing taking  2 minutes for a throw-in and pretending to be injured!

57 minutes ago, 8menhadadream said:

That's pretty much what I went with.

---------------------------------------ROD / New
----------------------Wright-------------Flint----------------Magners
Svensson / Little---------------------------------------------------------Joe Bryan
-------------------------------Brownhill----------Hegeler
------------------------------------------Tomlin
-------------------------------Djuric---------------Abraham

This has a nice balance and features arguably our best players in there natural positions, if Svensson does not sign then maybe Brownhill has the engine for wingback and Smith or Pack to partner Hegeler.

-------------------------------  Fielding
---------------Wright- --------Flint---------Magners
Svensson------------------------------------------------  Bryan
-----------------Brownhill----------Hegeler
-------------------------------Tomlin
-------- ------ ----Djuric-------------Abraham

10 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

If we are going back to 3-5-2 or 3-5-1-1 then I am worried . I am worried anyway as we seem totally confused . However , Cardiff is a game we need a result from . Whatever it takes 

It's more a case of square pegs in square holes for me BW. 

I can see the back 3 as most have listed with Jens sat in front of them and wing backs bombing on. This would allow Lee T to stay further upfield. Personally, I think Jens has been brought in to play the CDM role a la Makelele at Chelsea years ago, it seems perfect for him and he's the kind of player we have been missing since Cisse, someone with the technique and sense to actually do that role properly.

Then again, I could be miles out! 

Archived