IGNORED

The Dogfight

samo II

So, we're in it now.

Forest got themselves a point today, bringing them level with ourselves.  They've not won for seven league games now, with five losses in that run.  And yet next week they have the opportunity to leapfrog us, automatically moving us one place closer to the relegation places, if not level on points with them.

Burton face Cardiff, and they are also on a bad run.  But it's nowhere near as bad as our own, and the result of that game really has no good news for us unless we beat Forest - a draw for Burton/Cardiff bolsters a chasing team AND one just above us; a Burton win could take them above us; a Cardiff win puts a wall between us and mid-table.

Blackburn host Birmingham, who've yet to win under Zola, but have got creditable draws recently. However, Blackburn beat Newcastle at home in their last game, so they'll go into that match believing they can win.

Starting next week our battle against relegation begins.  Let's not jazz it up; we are bottom of the form table, and until we can win (not draw, not 'perform well') we go into each game the opposite of favourites - and rightly so.

Since before Ipswich I've kept thinking "this next game sort of feels like a 'must win'..." and felt today was the closest to one since Charlton away last year.

But next week: that really is a must win.

Even if all the other results go our way, anything but a win will leave us at best more than a win off climbing the table; at worst, we could draw and still end up only a point above the relegation zone.

I don't know about anyone else; but I'm starting to look at other team's fixtures and results, and that is only ever a good sign when you are significantly higher up the table.

Buckle up, folks; it's going to be rough one.

IMG_2945.PNG

Archived