IGNORED

Tomlin how to use him?

We live in hope

Lee Tomlin has more talent in his big toe than the whole team put together (Tammy excepted). his touch is sublime and his football brain works so fast sometimes his team mates are not on the same wavelength. he will give you at least 3 killer passes per game resulting in goal scoring opportunity's. he is one of the only players who offer themselves at throw-ins and can switch the play with ease.

At the start of the season we were playing Tammy and Kodja up front resulting in plenty of pace and movement , an excellent situation for a number 10 of Tomlins quality, results were excellent and our play was both exciting and point rewarding. The club chose to sell its best player and coin in a club record fee (I cant blame them for that) we remained up beat and our play was consistent and the points still came in.

Johnson then started pissing about with team both in style, formation and personnel not to mention having at least 4 captains. We are now played with only 1 striker home and away for some 9 games  by which time the whole division has worked us (not hard) and Tammy out, Lee Tomlin had started the season with at least 2 options sometimes 3 , and in one game 4 options his attacking talent and ability to pick a pass shone through and the strikers excelled and goals were plentiful . now reduce the mans options by 50 % or 75% and he becomes a 50% or 75% less effective player , his 1 option pass becomes far more difficult to execute and his mistake % is increased, fans get on his back and he gets frustrated (understandably) he takes a pop at the manager as he starts to look bad on the pitch as a 100% result of the managers team set up and  inability to be able to select a team to allow players of Tomlins ability to fulfil their own potential but more importantly fulfil the 3 million pound transfer fee the club paid for him and the wage bill he commands. THAT IS WHY THE CLUB BOUGHT HIM , blimmey it took long enough during the summer to seal !

For Christ sake Johnson you say you hurt more than any other fan when you lose, yet you are putting your own importance and your rift with the clubs largest investment and biggest chance of success before the football club and the 20,000 fans who pay to watch .

It all smacks of de ja vue , your old man did the same with Trundle , did you learn nothing from those events , get over yourself and put the club first and despite what you think the team has a much better chance of success with Tomlin pulling the strings.

Do the right thing . COYR  

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You know this for a fact do you ? 

No of course not, I am speculating the same way you are. The fact that he brought Tomlin and used him extensively in a free(ish) role last season and at the beginning of this doesn't suggest he is against maverick players. The only thing that appears to have changed is the way Tomlin has reacted to his substitution against Huddersfield (which I think most of us who were there saw) and possibly other events. I am only saying that, in this instance it doesn't appear to be the old problem of Managers not liking flair players.

6 minutes ago, EASTEND WURZEL said:

Lee Tomlin has more talent in his big toe than

Finally someone who understands the game! Superb post very welcome indeed! Leading a team is not about picking whom one likes its about delivering the desired result end of! To often people are picked because someone with authority likes them when in fact some else is better and more capable of doing that job. I have seen this often throughout life sadly. It takes a strong leader to put people in positions that might give them a platform to undermine their own position. For me that's the only way. I would look for people who would be better than me.. then and only then do you end up with the best team possible!

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Well no it's not, because as far as we know, both those players were never openly critical of the Manager if they didn't play or were substituted.

The thread title is :Tomlin how to use him'.  So not sure that your hearsay and unsubstantiated comment about something that may or may not have happened is relevant. I happen to think the Tomlin problem is exactly the same problem we had with Jet and Trundle,  in that they all have a lot of skill.  But they're workrate let's them and the team down.  Hence my post,  as long as we're winning.  I doubt many will question leaving our arguably most talented player out.  

5 minutes ago, john from high littleton said:

The thread title is :Tomlin how to use him'.  So not sure that your hearsay and unsubstantiated comment about something that may or may not have happened is relevant. I happen to think the Tomlin problem is exactly the same problem we had with Jet and Trundle,  in that they all have a lot of skill.  But they're workrate let's them and the team down.  Hence my post,  as long as we're winning.  I doubt many will question leaving our arguably most talented player out.  

It's not my hearsay and unsubstantiated comment though, I have been critical of the other rumours flying around, I know what I saw when he was substituted at Huddersfield though and I don't think it will have been appreciated, but I think they are all big boys. I hope (and believe) that 99% of what has been put on here is the usual rubbish that comes out in a bad run and i would love nothing more than to see Tomlin in behind the strikers on Saturday.

43 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's not my hearsay and unsubstantiated comment though, I have been critical of the other rumours flying around, I know what I saw when he was substituted at Huddersfield though and I don't think it will have been appreciated, but I think they are all big boys. I hope (and believe) that 99% of what has been put on here is the usual rubbish that comes out in a bad run and i would love nothing more than to see Tomlin in behind the strikers on Saturday.

OK fair enough you saw what you saw.  But the fact that Tomlin's was left out of last night's winning team could have absolutely nothing to do with that.  

Just now, john from high littleton said:

OK fair enough you saw what you saw.  But the fact that Tomlin's was left out of last night's winning team could have absolutely nothing to do with that.  

Yes I can concede that. I don't do twitter so I am not sure if the rumour that Paul Lambert witnessed a similar outburst is true, so I don't know if what I saw was just the tip of the iceberg or a one off instance.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Particularly when it was said that Jens Hegeler ' walks ' around but controls the midfield .

The athleticism of British football dominates the coaches ideas . Our style is all blood and thunder and the clever players who don't need to run 10 kilometers per match to affect the game are most often shunted to one side and worse , treated contemptuously as figures of fun . 

Pitman was reduced to à supporting role because of this and we lost one of the most natural goalscorers to grace our club since Shaun Goater to leave for peanuts.

The list is long , players like Le Tissier criminally overlooked .

:grr:

Mathew Le Tissier obviously played at the top level. Other clubs wanted him.

Lee Tomlin?

Lee Johnson is not skill averse. Lee Tomlin has played more games for BCFC than he did at Bournemouth. I do not think Lee Tomlin has been asked to run the yards, but has been at times hold to a shape, even if left side was ill conceived it should not be beneath him.

The very best from Gascoigne to Ronaldo do work hard. The best can be played in a team shape, and I phrase I like is "a good player can play anywhere", which reminds me of Glenn Hoddle playing at Swindon as a sweeper/centre half and being prepared to win headers.

I am not comparing Lee Tomlin to players who are illuminati level, but highlighting that even the very best can make their own concessions to what is best for the team.

Lee Tomlin needs to become part of the team rather than act at times like he is the team.

4 hours ago, We live in hope said:

Even the Bristol Post has printed this and is now making headlines the so called fallout between Johnson and Tomlin not that we have not see for ourselves ;-)

Tomlin without a doubt has the best footballers brain we have and with that the vision better than most. Many coaches in this league and others have highlighted his talents. Football is a team game of course but some do more work than others that's just the way it is. A team needs its workhorses who continually graft their trade up and down interrupting the opposition play but a player like Tomlin needs to be available for the creative talent that comes naturally to him, his vison of the game! He knows he has talent far beyond what LJ ever had and here Leith the problem Johnson is always going to succumbed to such thought until he backs up his management credentials with Success. Then and only then will he be able to handle players like Tomlin and the seasoned professional we so desperately need right now.

It was no secret before Tomlin arrived that he was a handful, but great players just like racehorse can be temper mental  I hope Tomlin does not think he has not been appreciated because for me he is worth having on the pitch for the times he is in the game even if for some that is not enough. Build the team around him and believe!

love it

Archived