IGNORED

Tomlin for Captain?

We live in hope

Just maybe if Tomlin was captain we would have a very different BCFC right now. He is a natural leader! Given responsibility characters like Tomlin often respond very well to such a tasking. Remember the uproar when Rooney was handed the arm band for England!

Tomlin's and Johnson's futures might just be linked weather they like it or not. Tomlins desire to play in the premiership is well know and Johnson's desire to succeed as a manager not in doubt so maybe they should both sit down together and do a bit of soul searching because its takes two to tango!

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

What qualities make him a natural leader to you? On the face of it he seems far too volatile a character to even consider for it. 

Just take a look at him on the ball all the rest should be fairly self explanatory... He has passion to win and that when harnessed is something that can not be taught!

15 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Just take a look at him on the ball all the rest should be fairly self explanatory... He has passion to win and that when harnessed is something that can not be taught!

Passion to win does not make you a good football captain. No one is more passionate about a Bristol City win than me and I'd be shite. 

17 minutes ago, We live in hope said:

Just maybe if Tomlin was captain we would have a very different BCFC right now. He is a natural leader! Given responsibility characters like Tomlin often respond very well to such a tasking. Remember the uproar when Rooney was handed the arm band for England!

Tomlin's and Johnson's futures might just be linked weather they like it or not. Tomlins desire to play in the premiership is well know and Johnson's desire to succeed as a manager not in doubt so maybe they should both sit down together and do a bit of soul searching because its takes two to tango!

Why not?The team needs a leader and it might be a good move.He certainly has a lot to say and it gives him a good reason to speak to the ref.

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Passion to win does not make you a good football captain. No one is more passionate about a Bristol City win than me and I'd be shite. 

No, but people wanted di Canio as manager a couple of years back for the same reason! :blink::facepalm:

Hegeler will be captain next season if not sooner in my opinion.

Tomlin has the experience,  but is far too gobby.  You need your captain to keep a cool head and defuse situations - not create them!

I agree that Smith and Pack are ineffectual as captains,  and I'd personally give the armband to Flinty.  Always cares, always gives 100%, seeks to inspire others.

5 minutes ago, cockneydave said:

Why not?The team needs a leader and it might be a good move.He certainly has a lot to say and it gives him a good reason to speak to the ref.

This alone should disqualify him from consideration.

If he never 'speaks' to an official again in his life it will be too soon; one of those players the 'back chat' rule was put in place for - is a liability when he opens his mouth.

Needs to do his talking with his feet instead.

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

A captain needs to lead by example and tomlin doesn't do that. He's not a team player, if he was he'd put a shift in to help his team mates defensively but he doesn't .  

He is not a Team player really?!! From where I am standing he does nothing but tirelessly try and set others up to score goals!

Sir Matt Busby (for our younger posters he was the Harry Dolman of Man Utd) was asked what his biggest regret in life was. He replied that he should've made George Best (for our very, very young posters think Wayne Rooney only really good...and from Belfast) first team captain.

Sir Matt thought that if he had done that, George wouldn't have gone off the rails and would've knuckled down to the job.

So, if Lee is like George he can at least look forward to Lulsgate being renamed Bristol Lee Tomlin City  Airport in about 25 years time......maybe.

Just now, Norn Iron said:

Sir Matt Busby (for our younger posters he was the Harry Dolman of Man Utd) was asked what his biggest regret in life was. He replied that he should've made George Best (for our very, very young posters think Wayne Rooney only really good...and from Belfast) first team captain.

Sir Matt thought that if he had done that, George wouldn't have gone off the rails and would've knuckled down to the job.

So, if Lee is like George he can at least look forward to Lulsgate being renamed Bristol Lee Tomlin City  Airport in about 25 years time......maybe.

Again someone who can think outside of the box and not just go with the flow of the norm..

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Very good, I don't think Harry Dolman was ever our Manager though. :)

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Very good, I don't think Harry Dolman was ever our Manager though. :)

Good point, well put!

14 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

They'll never rename Adge Cutler International to that.

There would be riots in Trumpton for starters.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Tomlin has the experience,  but is far too gobby.  You need your captain to keep a cool head and defuse situations - not create them!

I agree that Smith and Pack are ineffectual as captains,  and I'd personally give the armband to Flinty.  Always cares, always gives 100%, seeks to inspire others.

I think the Tomlin for captain call is genuine but misplaced, and is the result of a desire to see him back in the team and performing again at the very high level we know he's capable of. 

However, to play devil's advocate from different sports, spot any similarities between Tomlin and:

- the young hot headed Nasser Hussain ( turned England cricket around as captain), or

- Dylan Hartley. Terrible discipline problems but practically none leading England (very successfully) at rugby.

Archived