IGNORED

Giefer officially signed on loan

Sparkz 76

Just now, Alwaystomorrow said:

Hasn't played competitively. Will be rusty at best. Do we need that in such a big game?

Its a bit of risk, but its either him or Frankie. Sometimes you have to take a risk. I can't believe fitness would be an issue and up to other players in training (who may concentrate on defending, then attacking etc) goalies generally go off on their own and train on shot stopping, catching.

7 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

Hasn't played competitively. Will be rusty at best. Do we need that in such a big game?

Sometimes even if a player is only half fit that player is better than the alternatives. I thinj with goal keepers tho match fitness doesn't really apply as they won't be running 13km a game like an outfield player. Its more mental fitness I'd imagine. 

4 hours ago, Sparkz 76 said:

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/giefer-joins-on-loan-from-schalke-3526581.aspx

Giefer on loan to end of season. Keeper with good pedigree hopefully with a view to a permanent signing.

we need a presence in goal and this chap is what we need right now.

Welcome Giefer

Indeed...welcome to Bristol..

He says in the BP article that he and Hegeler mustn't speak German - they're here to learn English.

Then the report talks about their new tea-mates. Made I laugh. I wish it was a great pun on English beverages, but I suspect it's illiterate English journalists again.

I have seen Giefer play many years ago (by happy coincidence) when he played for Fortuna in the Bundesliga II.... He was excellent and imposing. He has been badly injured for nearly 2 whole seasons so it will be interesting to see how he does. Before he was injured he was on the radar of Bayern and was definitely an up and coming GK and one that I would suggest was in the "wonderkid" category.... I believe Ajax and Dortmund were also looking at him. He also had German Youth caps and you dont play at that level given the quality young keepers who would have been coming through at the time - Leno and Fahrman spring to mind, who he would have played with.

I think if he is fit, this guy will sort us out at the back and his very presence will inject confidence in our back line..... Although it was a long time ago when I saw him, I think he is too good for this level and had it not been for these injuries he could easily play at a higher level.... this could be the most inspired signing alongside Hegeler. TBH, long overdue but good job by Mark Ashton!!! 

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Blimey!  He's a bit of a dish don't you think ladies. Swit swoo.

Can everyone pronounce his name correctly as well please? Giefer is pronounced Geefer.  

It's Fabian which will cause the Bristolians a problem. The first "A" is like the "A" at the beginning of Apple, the "i" is like a English "e" and the second "a" is like a slightly softer version of the "a" from apple.

But however we say his name, we all hope that his 2 metre high body will be an impenetrable wall for all goal bound shots and his hands will clutch every cross before vertically challenged attackers get their little heads on the ball.

Archived