IGNORED

Has the world gone insanely soft?

Olympian

Today I heard a news story which I find shocking. A part of the Dacar rally was cancelled only because one spectator died. This in an annual event where mortalities would usually be considered part of the challenge and it sort of reflects the ever-growing overdramatisation over the smallest of accidents which I can see, often cheered on by the media.

Here's a list containing 73 fatalities in the Dacar rallies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dakar_Rally_fatal_accidents

Thoughts on this? Why would they cancel a whole day of the race for this? To me it smells of cheating.

3 hours ago, Olympian said:

I surely am. It's exactly the same for football with fixed results here and there with very vague argumentation behind it. Sports results being decided by a few people behind closed doors.

Sorry, but I think you need professional help. Someone dies and you consider it cheating ?

The Paris-Dakar Rally has an unenviable history of mortalities, both competitors and spectators, that's true. In the original form the event ran from the French capital to west Africa and was a well-known risk. However, the political problems and civil wars that were part and parcel in some of the countries the rally covered led to the Dakar being moved to other parts of the world for safety.

Given that this new route (through the less populated areas of South America) does not have the darker history of the former, it is perhaps rather more obvious that any loss of life is treated with such a response now. Media coverage is more saturated these days - and bad news travels fast.

As a rally marshal who has been on an event where someone died, I can tell you there is no disregard in these circumstances.

Perhaps you might want to reconsider your context and explanation, Olympian?

The information grows my knowledge about the race but it doesn't change my fundamental respect of sports or my opinion about how it is jeopardised by weaklings. What I think is that the traditions should be respected and that it shouldn't have been moved in the first place. It is a major choice in life if you choose to go to such an event and those who make it should be respected for it, but the risks are part of why I feel such a respect.

Was it really Paris though? I have something else in the back of my head but I can't quite remember. I've seen films of joyriding in Paris - both real content and movies - and I suppose that there is risk in it but it's not quite the same thing as for innocents. I did make a very general headline. Hmmm.

Archived