IGNORED

Gary Rowett - Why we should TRY to get him

Londoner

In my opinion SL has too much respect for LJ to drag it out. I think he'll go on the evening of a result - probably pre discussed. The fact LJ hasn't gone yet leads me to believe - strongly - he's got another game. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

In my opinion SL has too much respect for LJ to drag it out. I think he'll go on the evening of a result - probably pre discussed. The fact LJ hasn't gone yet leads me to believe - strongly - he's got another game. 

The next league game is as the window shuts, Why wait?

I remember looking on Birmingham's forum when Rowett was sacked. Whilst there was disapppointment over his sacking there were a few criticisms of him. The main ones were:

*Being a bit of a mercenary and seeming keen to jump ship when better opportunities came up.

*Poor signings 

*Negative football

*Tactical naivety and lack of a plan.

It is worth noting these are all criticisms that have also been levelled at LJ. Rowett has a better record and seems a better organiser but both the major potential positive and negative of appointing Rowett is he would be a continuity candidate and the closest thing the board could find to an upgraded version of Lee Johnson. He's likely to be the right man for anyone who thinks we've the right type of manager but we need one who gets better results but he is not going to be the right man for anyone who thinks we need a completely different type of manager and a fresh approach.

Glenn hoddle has not been in football management for over 10 years now....he seems to be linked with nearly every club that loses its manager. He will no doubt have turned down some offers that are far more attractive than us, and the fact that he hasn't been a manager for over 10 years then maybe he doesn't fancy it anymore, and is happy to pick up whatever he earns from bt sport.

get real guys if anyone thinks we could sell our club to hoddle your nuts, back to reality, Chris wilder for me but again would he leave Sheffield Utd for us.

14 hours ago, Londoner said:

-He is young but successful manager

-He is proven at this level taking Brum from relegation fodder to playoff candidate despite limited funds and crazy owners

- He has a clear philosophy based on a strong backline and shape

- He doesnt use aimless soundbites there is substance when he speaks

- He MAY be someone who could work with Mark Ashton

And for those who dont think we could get him...sensible owner who will in time provide funds and there arent many championship managers on the verge of the sack....not far from the midlands either.

Maybe we have approached him

Kenny Jackett. I know he walked after 29 (?) days at Rotherham but I suspect the actual situation at the club wasn`t quite what he was told it would be. Harshly treated by the likes of Wolves when they wanted a `name` in.

It wouldn`t be the prettiest football to watch but he would do what we require at the moment I think.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I remember looking on Birmingham's forum when Rowett was sacked. Whilst there was disapppointment over his sacking there were a few criticisms of him. The main ones were:

*Being a bit of a mercenary and seeming keen to jump ship when better opportunities came up.

*Poor signings 

*Negative football

*Tactical naivety and lack of a plan.

It is worth noting these are all criticisms that have also been levelled at LJ. Rowett has a better record and seems a better organiser but both the major potential positive and negative of appointing Rowett is he would be a continuity candidate and the closest thing the board could find to an upgraded version of Lee Johnson. He's likely to be the right man for anyone who thinks we've the right type of manager but we need one who gets better results but he is not going to be the right man for anyone who thinks we need a completely different type of manager and a fresh approach.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with them. He took over after they lost 8-0 at home to Bournemouth, that's how bad they were, and turned them into play off contenders on a shoe string budget through a solid side and excellent tactical nous. Spent probably 1/5th of what Ashton/LJ have spent this season in his whole tenure.

No shock at all they haven't won in 8 games since he left..

50 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with them. He took over after they lost 8-0 at home to Bournemouth, that's how bad they were, and turned them into play off contenders on a shoe string budget through a solid side and excellent tactical nous. Spent probably 1/5th of what Ashton/LJ have spent this season in his whole tenure.

No shock at all they haven't won in 8 games since he left..

Indeed.  But to be fair, the vast majority of fans were supporting him and devastated he was sacked and, if I recall, quite a lot of criticisms were nuanced in terms of "he did a lot right but wasn't quite so good in these areas". Ultimately no manager is perfect and the ones that come close tend not to manage clubs like us or Birmingham! I just found it interesting that a lot of the criticisms that were made are the same criticisms one might make of LJ.  Definitely a better track record with Rowett but he seems to be "the same but a little better" rather than offering something radically different. To my mind that'a a good thing as we may be able to improve without radically changing the long term plan but i'd be surprised by anyone highly critical of LJ expecting Rowett to be radically different...

On 1/21/2017 at 20:11, Londoner said:

I think grayson would be a disaster a perfect match for preston but a progressive club like ours???

Throwing around millions does not automatically make a club progressive.

Nor does not doing so automatically make a club not progressive.

The league table shows who the progressive teams are.

Hoddle, when was his last job? I vaguely remember mid 2000s at Wolves- pulled up few trees there, he's not been a manager for years for whatever reason is he really the man? Rowett I would take him, loads of clubs would fine manager indeed, shocked Birmingham sacked him. Ask Wolves fans about Hoddle, he was mediocre there though and this was 10, 11 years ago agian Championship and football has moved on significantly!

Grayson did pretty well at Leeds and I would say they are aspirational- he's a good manager end of. 

What makes people think Rowett is the answer? What has he actually done, people say he took Birmingham from relegation to play offs but so did Johnson end of last season to start of this season. We'l turn it around just need to stick at it (home games are key only 2 or 3 decent teams left to play) , were a team who has had 1 full season in championship and are not yet in relegation zone plus there is a long way to go this season, were a bottom half team at the min people expect far too much.

P.S. We'l finish 17th

Archived