IGNORED

Exitlude: Regrettably, the time has come

The Exiled Robin

I've been supportive until now, in ever decreaing circles. But you just can't keep losing games of football every single week, Lee. Sorry, but we need change now - my views on why now is the right time are here 

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/its-time-for-change-at-bristol-city.html

Shares, comments etc all welcome - genuinely intersted in discussing with anyone who still thinks otherwise

ADMIN'S - hopefully as an obviously specific, detailed blog post with a number of talking points you won't bundle this into a merged discussion where it gets lost in the mire.....thanks for your support!

Thank you as always ER for a well considered and thought provoking contribution. Think that over recent weeks the hundreds (maybe even thousands) of posts regarding our manager have probably said everything there is to say. So my thoughts are unlikely to add anything afresh. 

In keeping with many others I was underwhelmed when Lee David Johnson was appointed manager but very much hoped he would be successful. Initially, at least, things looked promising with positive results and signings, although even in the early part of this season when we were picking up points I didn't think we were playing that well and certainly we didn't play consistently well for ninety minutes.

Others have speculated / suggested what has gone wrong. However, I really don't know what has led to our record-breaking losing run; although confidence will have been seriously eroded, there will have been personality clashes and players will likely have formed sub-groups (as all of these tend to happen when on a bad run of results.)

As a relatively inexperienced and young manager all of this has presented our manager with a massive learning opportunity and I believe will ultimately make him a better manager. I do know that many City fans aren't prepared for him to learn at our expense.

Given the current situation it is unsurprising that many fans want LJ out. Personally, I think the decision will be made to stick with LJ, at least until the end of the season. I conclude this for two reasons. Firstly, LJ fits with and accepts the overall strategy of building / developing for the future and secondly there is unlikely to be, currently available, a proven manager at this level who will be prepared to sign up to the Board's long-term strategy.

If I'm right we are in for a very turbulent time! While I believe the squad is far superior to the one we had when LJ joined us we are in a dire situation. It looks like there are two relegation places available (assuming that is that Rotherham are unlikely to recover any meaningful form) so given our current form we will get dragged even deeper still into the relegation battle.

At the start of the season I felt we'd finish between 8th and 15th right now I would be mighty relieved to just stay up.

Really dont get where this whole "outstanding prospect" of a coach malarkey came from. The only reason why people say this is becuase he was appointed when young (no different really to Luke Williams at Swindon or even Karl Robinson when he first started) and because of the media hype himself and City built up themselves to make he seem like he was some sort of genius in the making.

Gary Rowett is roughly the same age and so is Karl Robinson and both have actually achieved something in management, Lee Johnson has achieved nothing yet some people seem to want to build him to a potential heir to Alex Ferguson, just because he has observed Michelin star restaurants and the NHS!?!?! The bloke is a clown and will struggle to ever get a gig once he is finally thrown out of this club.

2 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Really dont get where this whole "outstanding prospect" of a coach malarkey came from. The only reason why people say this is becuase he was appointed when young (no different really to Luke Williams at Swindon or even Karl Robinson when he first started) and because of the media hype himself and City built up themselves to make he seem like he was some sort of genius in the making.

Gary Rowett is roughly the same age and so is Karl Robinson and both have actually achieved something in management, Lee Johnson has achieved nothing yet some people seem to want to build him to a potential heir to Alex Ferguson, just because he has observed Michelin star restaurants and the NHS!?!?! The bloke is a clown and will struggle to ever get a gig once he is finally thrown out of this club.

Gary Rowett has achievied something in management - what are his achievements?

Is Lee Johnson talking about Michelin star restaurants and the NHS any different to Gary Rowett talking about Kaizen and the psychology books he reads?

1 hour ago, The Exiled Robin said:

I've been supportive until now, in ever decreaing circles. But you just can't keep losing games of football every single week, Lee. Sorry, but we need change now - my views on why now is the right time are here 

http://exiledrobin.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/its-time-for-change-at-bristol-city.html

Shares, comments etc all welcome - genuinely intersted in discussing with anyone who still thinks otherwise

ADMIN'S - hopefully as an obviously specific, detailed blog post with a number of talking points you won't bundle this into a merged discussion where it gets lost in the mire.....thanks for your support!

Good article. I think the majority, if not all fans feel Johnson's departure must happen. Unfortunately the board don't 

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Gary Rowett has achievied something in management - what are his achievements?

Is Lee Johnson talking about Michelin star restaurants and the NHS any different to Gary Rowett talking about Kaizen and the psychology books he reads?

Kept Burton Albion in league 2 then led them to a play-off final where they were unlucky to lose......some may not class that as an achievement but it pretty much kickstarted them to where they are now. I would say that is an achievement.

Hes achieved far more than Lee Johnson could ever hope.

Good points, well made. No arguments from me.

What I can't fathom is why LJ ended up with a contract extention whilst in the middle of a record breaking run. When you have a board that can make that sort of decision, don't hold out for them shining a light on their own ineptitude by making a change now. The status quo must be untenable as far as most of the fanbase are concerned, but I don't know what the best course of action is: but maybe we're now talking 'least bad' course of action.

Who'd have thought after last seasons shambles, this season would turn out as bad (here's hoping it's not worse.) SC must be laughing his ass off: that is until MA picks up the phone and asks him to resume his responsibilities....

14 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

So have I, but alas, never from the inside.

8 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Kept Burton Albion in league 2 then led them to a play-off final where they were unlucky to lose......some may not class that as an achievement but it pretty much kickstarted them to where they are now. I would say that is an achievement.

So that's your definition of achievement covered. Any chance of answering the other question...?

I'm just trying to understand the Gary Rowett love-in when he can be attacked with the same sticks that are used to beat Lee Johnson. 

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

So that's your definition of achievement covered. Any chance of answering the other question...?

I'm just trying to understand the Gary Rowett love-in when he can be attacked with the same sticks that are used to beat Lee Johnson. 

What exactly do i have to answer about the other question? Never heard Rowett go on about any that stuff you posted so not in a position to comment, hope thats ok mate.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

And for a club the size of Burton, yeah, thats an achievement

Just now, Mr Hankey said:

What exactly do i have to answer about the other question? Never heard Rowett go on about any that stuff you posted so not in a position to comment, hope thats ok mate.

Ok, so you've formed a conclusion about Gary Rowett without knowing his backstory. That's your call and you're welcome to it. 

I naively thought it might be relevant that you could compare some of Lee Johnson's background (that you appeared to use as a stick against him) to that of Gary Rowett. Clearly, I was misguided in that thought.

6 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

Isn't that much the same as giving LJ some credit for where Barnsley are now? Which is apparently not allowed.

8 hours ago, The Exiled Robin said:

Excellent and well balanced bit of writing. I don't like the idea of sacking another manager and have really wanted Johnson to succeed. However, it makes no sense NOT to relieve him of his duties from both a football and business perspective.  

Come on Mr Lansdown. Stop being sentimental and do the right thing for our club.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

Isn't that much the same as giving LJ some credit for where Barnsley are now? Which is apparently not allowed.

No not really. He left Barnsley halfway through the season, Rowett actually guided Burton to the play off final being there the full season. Barnsley fans will tell you that if it wasn't for Heckingbottom they wouldnt of finished anywhere near the play offs.

Archived