IGNORED

Why Gary Rowett?

MigratedRobin

3 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

Please could anyone list this mans amazing managerial achievements!

All I can work out is 2 failed promotion bids with Burton including two 7-1 defeats and a stint with Birmingham before getting sacked!

Good point can you let me know Lee Johnsons amazing achievements? ;-)

15 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

15 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

All I can work out is 2 failed promotion bids with Burton including two 7-1 defeats and a stint with Birmingham before getting sacked!

Correct me if im wrong but spent less than 2 mil this summer?

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/philosophical-football-gary-rowett-and-rise-lower-league-tacticians

Interview with Rowett. Could be LJ's words to be honest.

I associate Rowett with quite negative football, his Burton side had the lowest number of goals per game (1.93) in the league whilst he was there.

His CV isn't particularly impressive if you were looking for a manager to take us onto the next level. He may do OK, but there must be better options.

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Pardew for me

I know there is an element of anyone but LJ but Pardew?! No thank you! Palarse had the worse record of the 92 league clubs in 2016 under him.

Rowett at least has a solid record at this level. Not the most exciting perhaps but all I want right now is Championdhip survival. And he is s good shout for that target.

You clearly haven't tracked his managerial career.

Had Burton on course for promotion from League Two before he was nabbed by Brum after an 8-0 home defeat to Bournemouth; next game, sorted them out at the back and played a 0-0 at Wolves, moved up to 21st position and went from there.

Spent very little in comparison with the rest of the division and in less than two seasons had Brum 7th in the league before getting sacked with the second least defeats in the division (only behind Brighton) and not a particularly good squad. Since then, Zola has been appointed and they haven't won in any of those 8 games. 

Young, exciting manager.

9 minutes ago, MigratedRobin said:

Rowett and LJ's records below (minus today's loss for LJ).

Rowett might not have trophies and league wins under his belt, but he has a solid record and experience at this level for a young coach, including a tendency to not lose (**** win % BTW; Rowett's teams lose less the next LJ's, which is valuable).

He also has worked with what he's given at Brum, and improved what he had.  That counts for something, as he'd likely have to operate with what we have now, we're he to arrive soon.

Not saying he's the messiah, but a he's a widely respected young manager who's stock is high, and you can bet your last quid that footballers are receptive to that.  

IMG_2972.PNG

IMG_2973.PNG

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Rowett and LJ's records below (minus today's loss for LJ).

Rowett might not have trophies and league wins under his belt, but he has a solid record and experience at this level for a young coach, including a tendency to not lose (**** win % BTW; Rowett's teams lose less the next LJ's, which is valuable).

He also has worked with what he's given at Brum, and improved what he had.  That counts for something, as he'd likely have to operate with what we have now, we're he to arrive soon.

Not saying he's the messiah, but a he's a widely respected young manager who's stock is high, and you can bet your last quid that footballers are receptive to that.  

IMG_2972.PNG

IMG_2973.PNG

Wasn't Lee Johnson that before he came here? 

Sorry but Rowett has achieved next to nothing in his managerial career, yes he was sacked rather prematurely and for no good reason but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's any better than what we have currently got.

There is always a fashionable manager out of work and Rowett is that man at the moment, it was Pearson last year and we all know how that ended at Derby.

We need experience so desperately right now, massive shame Warnock isn't free.. exactly what we need to steer us through untill May.

Took over a club who had lost 0-8 at home in their last game, with the owner in jail, very little money, a couple of points above the relegation zone and turned them into a solid top 10 team, 7th when he left. I'd settle for that right now.

Ignore the win%, as others have said its meaningless because draws count against it. It's only meaningful if there are only 2 outcomes in a sport like Tenniis for example. His Championship points per game is considerably better than L.J's and that's what actually matters.

Plus we have to be realistic about who we can attract, I can't see any 'bigger' names being interested given we are plummeting towards L1.

6 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Sorry but Rowett has achieved next to nothing in his managerial career, yes he was sacked rather prematurely and for no good reason but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's any better than what we have currently got.

Perhaps.

But those stats only tell the story from a fixed point.  What they don't point out is that Rowett's Championship experience was an upward curve; he came into a poor team, stabilised them, then improved them, before being sack with them at a high point in the league.  He did this with minimal investment during a time of backroom strife.

LJ came into a struggling side (us), stabilised us, but has now led us on a record-breaking bad run, and that is despite a level of investment we've not seen for years.

Sure; he hadn't 'achieved' anything, but what are you looking for?  Cup wins?  League wins?  What's your metric?  For me: it is a solid record at this level, and if the person is young, a record of improved results when taking in new challenges.

And do you honestly think we cannot do better than what we have now?  We have a head coach who has brought in the majority of his own players at great expense, has even been able to hire a second assistant manager, and yet we cannot even draw games against terrible sides like Forest.

There is an argument that we cannot do worse.  Forest got a result against us today without a manager; I'm not sure we wouldn't do better without LJ right now.

Ok yes 'achieved' is a objective term depending on your expectations of course. On paper Rowett has achieved as much as Johnson has in this league..so far.

Their managerial careers actually have quite a few parallels, of course Rowett was unjustly sacked from Birmingham, but he left them as a solid club in this division after steering them away from relegation.

Johnson steered us away from relegation and started what many thought would be a great season. Unfortunately that hasn't proven to be the case. 

Look if LJ is sacked then so be it, I just can't see the logic in replacing him with Rowett. Ok he might get the new manager 'bounce' and keep us up, much like Johnson did. But are we happy as fans to keep repeating this over and over again? 

1 hour ago, MigratedRobin said:

2 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Ok yes 'achieved' is a objective term depending on your expectations of course. On paper Rowett has achieved as much as Johnson has in this league..so far.

Their managerial careers actually have quite a few parallels, of course Rowett was unjustly sacked from Birmingham, but he left them as a solid club in this division after steering them away from relegation.

Johnson steered us away from relegation and started what many thought would be a great season. Unfortunately that hasn't proven to be the case. 

Look if LJ is sacked then so be it, I just can't see the logic in replacing him with Rowett. Ok he might get the new manager 'bounce' and keep us up, much like Johnson did. But are we happy as fans to keep repeating this over and over again? 

He's better than Johnson.

1 hour ago, KingLear said:

You are kidding right? Almost anybody would be better than what we have right now, and I include some of more clueless ex-managers in that, let alone one who is clearly capable of successfully and steadily managing a club at Championship level over the past 2-3 seasons.

1 minute ago, Dr Balls said:

You are kidding right? Almost anybody would be better than what we have right now, and I include some of more clueless ex-managers in that, let alone one who is clearly capable of successfully and steadily managing a club at Championship level over the past 2-3 seasons.

No I'm not kidding, to say you would have some of our 'clueless' ex managers sums it up pretty well. 

Has no one realised that Rowett took over at Birmingham, a club that around 5/6 years ago was playing Europa League football? That has been playing either Championship or Premier League football for the last 15 years?

He inherited a squad of footballers who had been playing Championship/Premiership football long before he arrived.

7 minutes ago, KingLear said:

No I'm not kidding, to say you would have some of our 'clueless' ex managers sums it up pretty well. 

Has no one realised that Rowett took over at Birmingham, a club that around 5/6 years ago was playing Europa League football? That has been playing either Championship or Premier League football for the last 15 years?

He inherited a squad of footballers who had been playing Championship/Premiership football long before he arrived.

I would take MacInnes or Millen over Johnson right now. 

At Birmingham Rowett inherited a squad who were in the bottom 3, playing abysmally and headed for League 1, while the owner was under arrest for financial irregularities, turned them around, got them safe, kept them in mid table for a couple of seasons and this year had them pushing for the playoffs. That's the kind of progress that all of us would want right now.

Or are you still holding on for LJ bringing us Europs League football within 5 years?

Where have I ever mentioned us getting Europa League football in 5 years?

First of all I'm not disputing Rowett didn't do a decent job at Birmingham, but with the squad they had when he took over they should have been nowhere near the bottom 3 in the first place, new manager 'bounce' and all that.

I'm not in the Johnson in or out camp, I support whoever's in charge and will do until he is sacked, whenever that may be. I just struggle to see why Rowett is the answer that's all.

36 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Your points are all fair; I'm not arguing strongly for Rowett here, more pointing out the differences (and there are differences) between their seemingly very similar trajectories.

The big 'plus' for Rowett would be that he has spent longer at a less well resourced and more troubled club, and twice led them to top half finished - LJ kept us up last year, but hasn't built on that.

But, yes; otherwise they are quite similar. However, if may just be a case of 'right place; right time' with whoever comes in, and that is a big factor in any appointment I football.  Money and financial support from the powers that be means little; we're proving that right now.  But sometimes a person (and not saying Rowett; could be anyone) just fits the bill - isn't always obvious what works; too many variables involved.

What is clear though is that the opposite is also true.  It was mentioned at the time of LJ coming in that this was a case of the opportunity coming up very early for him, but one he needed to jump at.  I'm concerned that he has gone for his 'big job' a little before he was ready, and bitten off more that he can chew just yet.

It's a crying shame, but I'm pretty sure that he himself would rather walk away with only the worst losing league run under his belt than a relegation on his record.  And I do think we're reached a point that suggesting that possibility is acceptable - let us not forget; the sags were only in the relegation zone for 45 mins...

I'm gutted it hasn't worked with LJ, but that is the crux; it clearly and markedly hasn't worked.  Whatever my own distaste for sacking folks, it looks like that may need to happen.

Because we cannot go back to League One; that is unacceptable to me.

31 minutes ago, KingLear said:

He took over a club who had just lost 8-0 at HOME ( Christ, even we are not that bad), stabilised them, and got them to a safe position in the Championship. Even when they fired him, they were about 6th(?)

27 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I would take MacInnes or Millen over Johnson right now. 

At Birmingham Rowett inherited a squad who were in the bottom 3, playing abysmally and headed for League 1, while the owner was under arrest for financial irregularities, turned them around, got them safe, kept them in mid table for a couple of seasons and this year had them pushing for the playoffs. That's the kind of progress that all of us would want right now.

Or are you still holding on for LJ bringing us Europs League football within 5 years?

The highlighted part, lets be honest so did Johnson

Archived