IGNORED

Why Are Our Set Pieces So Bad?

The Original OTIB

This is the question nobody in the media team will ever ask any of the coaching staff. Yet it remains a perfectly reasonable question. Are the players not drilled or are they simply ignoring the training?

If we were any good at set pieces then I suspect we would have maybe 6 to 10 extra points by now. That we are failing so badly in this area is testimony to how utterly clueless things have become.

Against Forest with our tall team packing the box we did a few short corners. At the end of the game we had a free kick, all our players forward in the box including the keeper, our last chance.... and we take it short, ball does not get in the box, and suddenly our keeper is sprinting back... luckily we were spared our blushes as Forest hit the side netting of a completely open goal........  I think our players and Manager have frankly lost the plot.....

We have a terrible goal return from corners these days. And look at our set-up. Loads of big guys all clumped up together, Tammy stands mid-post with two men holding onto him, if Tomlin is on the pitch he usually stands slightly to the left of the corner flag, in no position to affect play, no-one ever on the far post, no one poised to run in.

Nail on head those who say the coaching has deteriorated under Lee's regime. That may not be all his fault, but he can see the results staring him in the face every game.

As for our throw ins :facepalm:

For years & years we have been  very much in short  supply  at any  set piece , corners , free kicks , throw ins ,  penalties (when we get them )      leading to a goal ,  AND defending them ,   AROUND 20 POINTS PLUS  id say ,   worse off over a season!!        ESTIMATE   also would think around 75% of goals we score are from open play    which is good because we are a "footballing team" !    Over the years we have always  "held r own "and given a good match at any level ,2its always been in our "DNA "               the functional teams  , which usually consists of maybe 75% percent of teams in the various leagues I s where we have always struggled with   MAKES ME WONDER  DO WE NOT  WORKON THESE TASKS IN TRAINING 

10 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Gary O'Neil never beats the first man. It's shocking. 

I know why, LJ gets involved in training by being the first defender. In games they're about 2 feet taller !

sorry I realise that was heightist , just joking :blush2: 

As mentioned earlier in this thread it's our crosses, or total lack of them, as well as our set pieces that are poor. 

We have two centre forwards who would absolutely revel in some decent service from the flanks, but our total lack of width means it doesn't happen. I don't think I saw us get more than about 3 or 4 balls into the box in open play in the Cardiff and Reading games combined. Since Freeman has been out of the side it's got even worse as well. 

Archived