IGNORED

The right DNA .....

headhunter

This is an extract from an interview with Mark Ashton that was on the BBC website on 22nd April last year:

"We're in the middle of identifying talent for next season and I would like to get as much of our business done as early as possible to give Lee Johnson and the players a full pre-season.He knows what he wants but identifying who is always the most challenging part. We are working to a strict DNA - the technical, the physical, the tactical, the psychological and, importantly, the financial fit for the club."We will not leave any stone unturned in our efforts to find the right players."

[Full interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36112921]

For my part I feel we have, in the main, bought quite well. In net spend terms we are probably at break-even. The Kodjia and other incoming monies are of a level never seen before at BCFC so let's not look at it like Lansdown has backed him to the tune of £15M but what our Chairman is saddled with is an influx of average championship quality players with, typically, 2 year or more contracts and the wages associated with that. We cannot afford relegation. 

I hate to say this but the biggest waste of money was on Lee Tomlin. He has form in terms of being a disruptive influence in the dressing room. Signing him was a knee jerk reaction to how popular he was with the crowd due to some sublime performances and stunning strikes on goal. IMO opinion Lansdown got carried away with the euphoria and sanctioned a signing that is increasingly looking a bad one and suggests the DNA profile in terms of character might have been sidestepped. SL is prone to this sort of thing and I cite the signing of David James in the summer of 2010.

Coming back to the DNA thing I was shocked at LJ's comments post match yesterday about a timid dressing room. You signed 8 of the starting 11 LJ so I suggest you and MA got the DNA bit wrong big time if their heads are down. Biggest disappointment for me in this respect is Gary O'Neil. I thought he was a great catch with his track record and would provide a level of leadership on the pitch not seen since Louis Carey retired. I think he has been a total wimp and IMO is here stealing a wage at the tail end of his career much like the way Nicky Shorey did when he was on loan from Reading.

It's not that LJ has lost the dressing room its that he cant manage / motivate at this level, much like his dad, although in fairness to junior Johnson I just think this job came to early for him.

He has to go but I fear the trigger won't be pulled until we are entrenched in the bottom 3

Good post but I don't agree.... we signed Tomlin because he is an excellent player and he improved us... He was being played out of position and instead of utilising his talents he has been made to look like a liability.... Gary O' Neill has also looked a shadow of himself.... all of the team look off colour. I believe we have a good squad of players but that is no good if the manager cannot get a tune out of them. It is clear LJ has lost the dressing room.....SL if you are reading this, please swing the axe and put us out of our misery.... 

9 minutes ago, headhunter said:

This is an extract from an interview with Mark Ashton that was on the BBC website on 22nd April last year:

"We're in the middle of identifying talent for next season and I would like to get as much of our business done as early as possible to give Lee Johnson and the players a full pre-season.He knows what he wants but identifying who is always the most challenging part. We are working to a strict DNA - the technical, the physical, the tactical, the psychological and, importantly, the financial fit for the club."We will not leave any stone unturned in our efforts to find the right players."

[Full interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36112921]

For my part I feel we have, in the main, bought quite well. In net spend terms we are probably at break-even. The Kodjia and other incoming monies are of a level never seen before at BCFC so let's not look at it like Lansdown has backed him to the tune of £15M but what our Chairman is saddled with is an influx of average championship quality players with, typically, 2 year or more contracts and the wages associated with that. We cannot afford relegation. 

I hate to say this but the biggest waste of money was on Lee Tomlin. He has form in terms of being a disruptive influence in the dressing room. Signing him was a knee jerk reaction to how popular he was with the crowd due to some sublime performances and stunning strikes on goal. IMO opinion Lansdown got carried away with the euphoria and sanctioned a signing that is increasingly looking a bad one and suggests the DNA profile in terms of character might have been sidestepped. SL is prone to this sort of thing and I cite the signing of David James in the summer of 2010.

Coming back to the DNA thing I was shocked at LJ's comments post match yesterday about a timid dressing room. You signed 8 of the starting 11 LJ so I suggest you and MA got the DNA bit wrong big time if their heads are down. Biggest disappointment for me in this respect is Gary O'Neil. I thought he was a great catch with his track record and would provide a level of leadership on the pitch not seen since Louis Carey retired. I think he has been a total wimp and IMO is here stealing a wage at the tail end of his career much like the way Nicky Shorey did when he was on loan from Reading.

It's not that LJ has lost the dressing room its that he cant manage / motivate at this level, much like his dad, although in fairness to junior Johnson I just think this job came to early for him.

He has to go but I fear the trigger won't be pulled until we are entrenched in the bottom 3

Like your post. Tomlin was a big call we all wanted him after his successful loan spell. The writing was on the wall when we first saw him in pre season overweight and not fit and that's no different now. 

I do believe he's been played out of position on numerous occasions and for me he's behind the front two . For ability I cant remember many better, attitude one of the worst. Eddy Howe done a great bit of business. 

Archived