IGNORED

Short term fix to keep us up ........

headhunter

Back in 98 John Ward went in late September to the then Chairman, Scott Davison, asking for help as he was struggling with the demands of adapting to managing in the Championship. His choice was the experienced coach Ray Harford. This guy was widely respected as a Coach but not a great manager. It could have been a good choice. City won a key televised match on a Friday night against Bolton and less than 72 hours later Ward had gone, resigning rather than being pushed, as Scott made the stupid decision to bring in the unknown Benny Lenartsson - the team showed how they felt losing their next 2 games 5-1 away at Bradford and 1-6 at home to Wolves!!!

In 2005 Tinnion looked for similar support in trying to recruit an experienced Number 2. SL foisted on him that great survivor yet then wholly inexperienced and cheap option that was Keith Millen.

I ask you now Steve Lansdown to say to LJ  on Monday:  "you need help and we are going to give it too you. Do not feel undermined, I am just protecting my investment. You retain your dignity and we can look at things again in the summer. For a start let's say thanks and goodbye to Dean Holden who appears to have overwhelmed any positive stuff that Pembo brings to the dressing room; can't see why you brought him in! Right, from now until the end of the season you are going to be reporting in to Alan Pardew who we believe can help you with your development and keep this club in the Championship"

If I was SL I would be having this conversation with Alan Pardew TODAY: "I will pay you £20k a week between 1 February and 30 April to be First Team Manager of BCFC. I have a good first team coach but he is struggling right now. If you keep us up by reaching 50 points I will pay you a bonus of £1M. That means you have to get 23 points from the 57 available. It's quite a turnaround you have to manage as we've managed 7 from the last 48; we did get 20 from the first 30 though and we've improved the squad since then!! We might like you to stay on Alan but you will probably want to be with a bigger club than us and by keeping us up your managerial stock will have risen." 

A far fetched and stupid idea from me. The former yes but the latter I suggest not. Look at the Premier League table - there will be no managerial changes from amongst the bottom 10 sides IMO. Pardew is unlikely to get a better offer!!!!

If LJ does go then a Wilbs / Pembo combination is the likely outcome!!!

1 minute ago, headhunter said:

Back in 98 John Ward went in late September to the then Chairman, Scott Davison, asking for help as he was struggling with the demands of adapting to managing in the Championship. His choice was the experienced coach Ray Harford. This guy was widely respected as a Coach but not a great manager. It could have been a good choice. City won a key televised match on a Friday night against Bolton and less than 72 hours later Ward had gone, resigning rather than being pushed, as Scott made the stupid decision to bring in the unknown Benny Lenartsson - the team showed how they felt losing their next 2 games 5-1 away at Bradford and 1-6 at home to Wolves!!!

Interesting post ....

When this is spoken about on here I'm not sure I've seen anyone give this exact version 

Which is absolutely the correct one

Ward went to the board and said he wasn't confident in the then League One and wanted Harford in to help

At that point he made his position untenable (in the boards view) and they brought in Benny

Nope from me, although something sure needs to change quickly.  If SL gets to the point where he thinks Lee isn't good enough then there's no point keeping him on. And then there's the issue of Mark Ashton - can't see someone like Pardew reporting to him.

10 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Nope from me, although something sure needs to change quickly.  If SL gets to the point where he thinks Lee isn't good enough then there's no point keeping him on. And then there's the issue of Mark Ashton - can't see someone like Pardew reporting to him.

Why? Pardew will have worked with DOFs and Heads of Recruitment before.

Archived