IGNORED

Tomlin, Freeman, and Bobby Reid

Poshtottie

When they were regular's the chances on goal seemed to be never ending. Creativity seems to of been forgotten a player that keeps the opposition guessing in fear of what he might do or be capable of! Our team has been worked out simple as that! The championship is full of quality football players and managers who really know the game... Lets stop pretending we are just not up to it on the pitch for what ever reason!

I get why Freeman is out. I get the argument about Tomlin not putting in great shifts but when he and Bobby were playing together we were playing better. I don't get why that stopped. Bobby had a few rough times on the wing but that'll happen to someone who doesn't play there. The chopping and changing really wasn't necessary. I don't get why playing one game well is enough to get another one yet one bad one you are dropped. I'm ok with the squad size but you need to pick your best 18 and stick with it. Those other 6-7 have to work real hard to get in and need to show me multiple times they're ready. 

Haven't seen any real movement off the ball for weeks. Whoever plays, lets get movement. Yesterday was awful. Players looking up, no one moving into space so the ball either goes back, sideways or hoofed up the pitch in the desperate hope that Tammy or Djuric will get it. Then no movement for them so it starts again. Or there's no one there cos no ones' moved !!  So frustrating. So obvious from the stands though :facepalm:

2 hours ago, marmite said:

I posted in another thread about this. Two up front and drop all the playmakers. Sheer madness.

Although I think with the signing of Wright we're almost forced to play all 3 of our centre backs as I doubt any of them want to spend time on the bench I'd play a 41212. 

Giefer

Vyner Flint Magnusson Bryan

Hegeler

Reid Pack

Tomlin

Tammy Djuric

We used it last year to great success with Agard and Kodjia, appreciate that they are more mobile than our current 2 but I still think it would work better than what we're using right now

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Although I think with the signing of Wright we're almost forced to play all 3 of our centre backs as I doubt any of them want to spend time on the bench I'd play a 41212. 

Giefer

Hegeler

Reid Pack

Tomlin

Tammy Djuric

We used it last year to great success with Agard and Kodjia, appreciate that they are more mobile than our current 2 but I still think it would work better than what we're using right now

I like the formation and suggested this before the Cardiff game...not sure about the personnel in some positions though.

i really don't think we can play two up top and accommodate both Reid and Tomlin...for me we would be too lightweight in the centre and we'd lose the 'battle'.

Right back is a concern and not sure who is best to play there...if Matthews is fit and plays like he did 12 months ago then I'd start him there, if not, and it's far from ideal then probably Little.

So I'd be tempted to go with:

Giefer

Little, Flint, Wright, Magnusson

Hegeler

Brownhill, Bryan

Tomlin

Abraham, Djuric

In my opinion this is would give us more energy in the middle and a bit more 'bite' too...it also enables us to move to 3-5-2, should we need to, with one change.

(apologies for the format - I can't adjust on the phone)

Isn't Little (and Matthews) injured?

If you don't think Vyner is ready, then Brownhill or Wright are your only options in a 4. Decisions, decisions!

Just forgetting Burnley in the cup, Sheffield Wed is a massive test and if the above are still injured, who would you pick?  Or do you persist with a back three so that you can accommodate Wright, Flint and Magnússon?  You still have to find a RWB.

its a bit of a mess isn't it.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isn't Little (and Matthews) injured?

If you don't think Vyner is ready, then Brownhill or Wright are your only options in a 4. Decisions, decisions!

Just forgetting Burnley in the cup, Sheffield Wed is a massive test and if the above are still injured, who would you pick?  Or do you persist with a back three so that you can accommodate Wright, Flint and Magnússon?  You still have to find a RWB.

its a bit of a mess isn't it.

Little was taken off as a precaution yesterday and I think Matthews is now back in training...I'm sure I read that somewhere. So I'm not sure who we'll have available for next Tuesday; maybe another new signing??

4 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

Little was taken off as a precaution yesterday and I think Matthews is now back in training...I'm sure I read that somewhere. So I'm not sure who we'll have available for next Tuesday; maybe another new signing??

LJ said yesterday that Little had a problem with his hamstring, and that Matthews' injury meant we (probably) "wouldn't see him again"

1 minute ago, WestonRobin said:

Nothing anywhere on twitter or the website.

I've also not seen any rumours to suggest that...not sure how he would get injured again if he is resting and not training.

I'm only going by what LJ said on Radio Bristol after the match yesterday. LJ said that they didn't 'trust the injury' or something. Perhaps he isn't injured, or he is just prone to injury and they don't want to risk him anymore.

46 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Giefer

Hegeler

Reid Pack

Tomlin

Tammy Djuric

Far too narrow leading to too much load on our full backs to stop two opponents and no width to stretch other sides defence and create openings for strikers.

Giefer

Wright Flint Magnusson 

Hegeler Pack

Tomlin

Freeman                    Bryan

Abraham Engvall

Bench: Reid; Golbourne; Fielding; O'Neil; Djuric; O'Dowda; Brownhill

This is assuming Freeman isn't imminently departing for QPR. Let him play out of his skin to prove he's worth an improved contract offer.

Two wingers, two front men. Likely to get on the field at some time, Djuric & Reid + options to make a four man defence if we're ahead and defending a reasonable lead.

11 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer

Wright Flint Magnusson 

Hegeler Pack

Tomlin

Abraham Engvall

This is assuming Freeman isn't imminently departing for QPR. Let him play out of his skin to prove he's worth an improved contract offer.

Two wingers, two front men. Likely to get on the field at some time, Djuric & Reid + options to make a four man defence if we're ahead and defending a reasonable lead.

Totally agree with this post. We need pace and invention to serve our forwards.  We have one of the best forwards in the division and we don't serve him! Its unbelievable. With Hegeler and Pack in front of the defence , I'm happy with that formation.

I would rather we played with some flair and got beat with a couple of these on the pitch than continue to play this turgid rubbish every game. Reid and Tomlin should be starting, as for Freeman I like the lad but I think we've seen the last of him in a city shirt.

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer

Wright Flint Magnusson 

Hegeler Pack

Tomlin

Abraham Engvall

I think Hollowhead knew what he was doing by putting an offer in for Freeman, he knew he would be removed from the team just as he was improving our game.

QPR are doing better than us since.

Giefer

Matthews Flint Wright Hordor

Reid Hegeler

O'Dowda.                 Tomlin

Tammy Djuric 

O'Dowda is a good winger who will track back and help Matthews giving Reid less defensive responsibilities. Hegeler can help cover for Tomlin with a good defender behind LT. Reid can take up the spaces Tomlin leaves when eventually drops deep to get on the ball. Granted our wingers probably have to cut back to get crosses in but two of our better ones plus Matthews and Hordor would probably get some in. Two 6'4" strikers need crosses. Should be solid enough with 4 players with many games at CB on their CV. Plus it means you get Bryan and Brownhill on the bench who can help cover RB, LB and CM between them. Pack and Paterson as well. With Gustav and Wilbs plus a keeper. Everything you want for your starting XI and plenty of versatility on the bench to change formation or go like for like. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Giefer

Matthews Flint Wright Hordor

Reid Hegeler

O'Dowda.                 Tomlin

Tammy Djuric 

O'Dowda is a good winger who will track back and help Matthews giving Reid less defensive responsibilities. Hegeler can help cover for Tomlin with a good defender behind LT. Reid can take up the spaces Tomlin leaves when eventually drops deep to get on the ball. Granted our wingers probably have to cut back to get crosses in but two of our better ones plus Matthews and Hordor would probably get some in. Two 6'4" strikers need crosses. Should be solid enough with 4 players with many games at CB on their CV. Plus it means you get Bryan and Brownhill on the bench who can help cover RB, LB and CM between them. Pack and Paterson as well. With Gustav and Wilbs plus a keeper. Everything you want for your starting XI and plenty of versatility on the bench to change formation or go like for like. 

Reasonable, but not sure I'd fancy Tomlin out wide. He gets left behind from play when he's not central. Reid, for me, has to be forward, making surging overlapping runs. His build offers little defensively.

As for the bench, I'd lose Paterson. Had two good games and many more totally anonymous ones.

27 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Reasonable, but not sure I'd fancy Tomlin out wide. He gets left behind from play when he's not central. Reid, for me, has to be forward, making surging overlapping runs. His build offers little defensively.

As for the bench, I'd lose Paterson. Had two good games and many more totally anonymous ones.

From my viewpoint, Reid and Tomlin have had their best games from those positions. We would have basically 4 CBs and a full back on the pitch. That should make up for Reid's build. Plus I think he doesn't get enough credit for the shift he puts in. His build only really effects him on the ball. He's just as nippy, if not more, than Brownhill but looks to get forward more. Some of Tomlin's best performances against us are where he started on the left but drifted in and roamed a bit. Most of these were last season granted but it is probably where he's played the most for us. 

As for Paterson, I'm assuming Freeman is gone and he is right footed attacker which we don't have many of. Just for balance but it's an area I would prefer to improve myself. 

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Giefer

Wright Flint Magnusson 

Hegeler Pack

Tomlin

Abraham Engvall

Thank goodness for somebody with a good idea at last! My team choice too. There is no LIFE in the team without Freeman and Reid and Joe Bryan seems to spark more when they are there . Make more use of Golbourne, often overlooked.  Work out the guys who like playing together and get them up there. Luke Freeman takes good corners too. COYR!!

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

From my viewpoint, Reid and Tomlin have had their best games from those positions. We would have basically 4 CBs and a full back on the pitch. That should make up for Reid's build. Plus I think he doesn't get enough credit for the shift he puts in. His build only really effects him on the ball. He's just as nippy, if not more, than Brownhill but looks to get forward more. Some of Tomlin's best performances against us are where he started on the left but drifted in and roamed a bit. Most of these were last season granted but it is probably where he's played the most for us. 

As for Paterson, I'm assuming Freeman is gone and he is right footed attacker which we don't have many of. Just for balance but it's an area I would prefer to improve myself. 

Fair enough, if Freeman left I'd be furious if we didn't have a competent replacement ready to come in.

Wingers are the way to go. Particularly now we have more than one target for crosses.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

Fair enough, if Freeman left I'd be furious if we didn't have a competent replacement ready to come in.

Wingers are the way to go. Particularly now we have more than one target for crosses.

Agree with you there. Preferably O'Dowda would be a bench player as he grows. I like his game though. Final product not great yet but is direct and dribbles at players. Biggest worry is injuries with him as his game gets him clattered at times. 

Ive already seen plenty of wingers go to championship clubs that I'd have taken here like Frei, Nsue, and McManaman. Rumours are Burnley would listen to offers for Boyd and Kightly. I'd enquire at least. Probably not the flashiest though. Someone mentioned Dyer from Swansea before but he's been playing a bit for them lately. I'm sure there are many options I'm not thinking of but a loan to permanent would be a good option from a prem or higher championship side of someone is down the pecking order. 

Archived