IGNORED

Still not replaced Kodjia.

JHAGa

1 minute ago, shelts said:

U may well have a point . Don't think they saw it coming . Strange really . 

They saw it coming alright, we had about 3 weeks of "we won't sell him to a Championship club" etc. 

Clubs had shown interest during the summer but he seemed happy to stay with us. 

Personally I think he decided his time was up when LJ bought TA in, played him in Kodjia's position and stuck him on the wing. Not really the way for the manager to make him feel wanted and part of his plans was it!

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They saw it coming alright, we had about 3 weeks of "we won't sell him to a Championship club" etc. 

Clubs had shown interest during the summer but he seemed happy to stay with us. 

Personally I think he decided his time was up when LJ bought TA in, played him in Kodjia's position and stuck him on the wing. Not really the way for the manager to make him feel wanted and part of his plans was it!

Oh ok mate u seem to be in the know. What a season it might of been if he'd stayed. 

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

We would still be in the shit if he was replaced because we can't defend

flint little and goldborne need replacing they aren't good enough

There'd be far less pressure on our defence if we were competent going forward or applying pressure to the opposition.

7 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

There'd be far less pressure on our defence if we were competent going forward or applying pressure to the opposition.

Tell that to Fulham last season

we can score 2 goals a game that should be enough to win,

when you can't keep them out then that tells you the problem is defending not scoring

Just now, Monkeh said:

Tell that to Fulham last season

we can score 2 goals a game that should be enough to win,

when you can't keep them out then that tells you the problem is defending not scoring

Fulham had outlets last season, McCormack and Dembele. We purely rely on Abraham to scrape the odd goal.

We aren't attacking, we don't stretch the opposition, we pass it around without any real meaning and teams with more co-ordinated attacks frequently beat us. Earlier in the season we had Abraham, Kodjia and Tomlin. Now teams just know to mark Abraham and we have next to nothing to threaten them with.

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

Fulham had outlets last season, McCormack and Dembele. We purely rely on Abraham to scrape the odd goal.

We aren't attacking, we don't stretch the opposition, we pass it around without any real meaning and teams with more co-ordinated attacks frequently beat us. Earlier in the season we had Abraham, Kodjia and Tomlin. Now teams just know to mark Abraham and we have next to nothing to threaten them with.

Your missing the point

if kodja was still here we'd still be in trouble because we can't defend

our problem is keeping the ball out of the net not scoring goals

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Your missing the point

if kodja was still here we'd still be in trouble because we can't defend

our problem is keeping the ball out of the net not scoring goals

If Kodjia was here there is not a chance we would be in trouble. Not a chance.

Just now, JHAGa said:

If Kodjia was here there is not a chance we would be in trouble. Not a chance.

Fulham were in trouble last season with all those attacking outlets because they couldn't defend

we are in trouble this season because we can't defend

what do the two teams have in common?

thats right they can't defend 

we need to replace Flint gold borne and little they aren't good enough, 

dont condcede and you don't lose it is that simple

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fulham were in trouble last season with all those attacking outlets because they couldn't defend

we are in trouble this season because we can't defend

what do the two teams have in common?

thats right they can't defend 

we need to replace Flint gold borne and little they aren't good enough, 

dont condcede and you don't lose it is that simple

We only can't defend because our defence is put under so much pressure as we are unable to sustain any decent periods of attack. I'm not saying we have a great defence by any means but you need to offer more going forward. Attack is the best form of defence, as the saying goes.

5 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Poor Lee. Board leave him out to dry by selling his best player without a replacement days before the window closes. That same player probably hits the final nail in the coffin tonight.

Oh so predictable.

Err, Abraham?  Unfortunately Lee just ain't up to the task.

5 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Poor Lee. Board leave him out to dry by selling his best player without a replacement days before the window closes. That same player probably hits the final nail in the coffin tonight.

Oh so predictable.

Well, a club of our standing isn't going to turn down a fee of that size. It was clearly way above his value and was probably the most we'd ever get for him unless he had stayed, got 25 goals and had a storming AFCON. I think Lee was quite happy to sell as Kodjia clearly didn't want to be here anymore. Right decision to sell. Big shame we couldn't bring in a quality striker in time though.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Well, a club of our standing isn't going to turn down a fee of that size. It was clearly way above his value and was probably the most we'd ever get for him unless he had stayed, got 25 goals and had a storming AFCON. I think Lee was quite happy to sell as Kodjia clearly didn't want to be here anymore. Right decision to sell. Big shame we couldn't bring in a quality striker in time though.

We brought in Tammy - albeit as a loan - who is better than Kodj in my opinion.

Sadly he was injured tonight, but the striker conundrum sounds the least of our worries. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We brought in Tammy - albeit as a loan - who is better than Kodj in my opinion.

Sadly he was injured tonight, but the striker conundrum sounds the least of our worries. 

I think Abraham is the better natural goalscorer but Kodjia the better all round player at the moment. Tammy will go on to have a better career though. Would've been interesting to see the two of them play as a two, could've been absolutely deadly. 

Thing is, Abraham wasn't bought in as a replacement for Kodjia I don't think. The intention was for the two of them to compete for a starting spot or to play together. We were clearly in the market for a forward up until the last minute which shows that he wasn't his replacement.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Abraham is the better natural goalscorer but Kodjia the better all round player at the moment. Tammy will go on to have a better career though. Would've been interesting to see the two of them play as a two, could've been absolutely deadly. 

Thing is, Abraham wasn't bought in as a replacement for Kodjia I don't think. The intention was for the two of them to compete for a starting spot or to play together. We were clearly in the market for a forward up until the last minute which shows that he wasn't his replacement.

I really dunno, mate. 

I will hold my hands up and say that due to a family commitment, I only vaguely followed tonight's game on my phone.

But my impression is we let Kodj look good. He is a long way behind Tammy in the goal-scoring stakes, and surely that is the final reckoning?

Johnson is probably right - it only was fine lines. But we've lost to those fine lines too often for his excuses to be acceptable.

37 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I really dunno, mate. 

I will hold my hands up and say that due to a family commitment, I only vaguely followed tonight's game on my phone.

But my impression is we let Kodj look good. He is a long way behind Tammy in the goal-scoring stakes, and surely that is the final reckoning?

Johnson is probably right - it only was fine lines. But we've lost to those fine lines too often for his excuses to be acceptable.

That's one way of looking at it, I think Kodjia has more to his game at the moment. In my opinion he is far more dangerous running at people than Tammy, is more creative, quicker and a better dribbler and right now is the better all round player. Different style of players really so difficult to compare like for like for like but I think Abraham will have a better career.

Kodjia probably started his career in earnest a bit too late. If he was developed earlier at an academy I think he'd have been turned into an attacking winger/forward in the style of Saido Mané or Bolasie.

As it stands though, I have no doubt that Abraham will go onto be a regular Premier League player. He's a pure poacher in style but with good height which is a pretty rare combination. It's worth noting that he's not even finished growing, he's got the build of a long distance runner at the moment and will still thicken out a considerable amount as he hits his 20s. Just a shame we didn't get a chance to see them play together for very long!

Archived