IGNORED

Excitement winning the third division

Major Isewater

Despite our excellent double winning season I must confess to not being hugely excited at the time . Pleased of course.

We've been up and down like a whore's draws . I have seen so many promotions and relégations between the second and third division that my feeling was , ' Now we're back to where we were ' .

I hoped that we would press on , what with the new direction and playing staff and the  fantastic rebuild of the Gate .Everything is in place for a new exciting era in our history. 

So why ? Why ? Oh why ? are we once again talking about the real prospect of sinking back into the abyss ? 

Is it beyond the realms of reason that our club could just establish itself in the English second division where, in all logic, we are suited to be ? 

I'm talking about gates and potential, not that we have a devine right .

If the worst were to happen I'm not so sure how many of us older supporters would have the motivation to go through the slog of à Third division campaign again .

The very thought of Gillingham, Colchester , Bury and company fills me with apathy .

I love this club , it is part of my identity but I may just find myself spending more time with Mrs I on matchdays if we don't hold onto our current status and I'm sure I'm not alone .

Please don't let me down City .

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Despite our excellent double winning season I must confess to not being hugely excited at the time . Pleased of course.

We've been up and down like a whore's draws . I have seen so many promotions and relégations between the second and third division that my feeling was , ' Now we're back to where we were ' .

I hoped that we would press on , what with the new direction and playing staff and the  fantastic rebuild of the Gate .Everything is in place for a new exciting era in our history. 

So why ? Why ? Oh why ? are we once again talking about the real prospect of sinking back into the abyss ? 

Is it beyond the realms of reason that our club could just establish itself in the English second division where, in all logic, we are suited to be ? 

If the worst were to happen I'm not so sure how many of us older supporters would have the motivation to go through the slog of à Third division campaign again .

The very thought of Gillingham, Colchester , Bury and company fills me with apathy .

I love this club , it is part of my identity but I may just find myself spending more time with Mrs I on matchdays if we don't hold onto our current status and I'm sure I'm not alone .

Great post Major,and sadly sums up to perfection my own feelings of the moment-maybe an element of this emotion is partly an 'age thing', countless trips around the block??...

Not that simple I fear.

Whom will be braking the news to Mrs Isewater & Mrs Bruce is another issue!

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Echos the feelings of many of us. Well said sir.

Having supported city for about 40 odd years from a very young kid I have to say that just about all of those years have been disappointment followed by brief, fleeting scent of hope followed by more massive disappointment. I think we are all at the point where we wonder whether we can go through it all again particularly after a new ground, lots of money on players and so much hope and potential. If it all gets wasted whilst we wait for a young head coach to work out his  arse from his elbow it will be hard to "believe" again. Now with a little boy of my own, I seriously wonder whether to inflict the pain that is being a city fan on him as well. Seriously, has any other club real under archieved in the way that we have over the last 3 decades. Failure interspersed with brief periods of mediocrity seems to be the reality  of our history.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

the phrase been there done that bought the t shirt springs to mind

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I do wonder whether all this corporate 'Bristol Sport' bullshit means that the success of the football team (and rugby) isn't as important anymore because the revenue from the off field is more important. 

It would appear a few 100 away fans in the away end next season and reduction in season ticket sales isn't a concern to our owner 

The more things change, the more things stay the same.

When I started going down 'The Gate' , we were hovering around the bottom of the 2nd Division. Then slowly we started troubling the top ten, even had a cup run Leeds when there 'mighty'. Sadly it's starting to look like my supporting career peaked a bit early. Promotion to the promised land, I even believed we could get into Europe after finishing 14th. I did really think we would be there a long time. So we're back, near the bottom of Div2. 
The next month will shape whether we will be playing in front of an empty 27,000 seat stadium or pushing for the PLayoff's. I admire SL's loyalty, I think he is a genuinely a good and loyal man. But , he says he will not let the recent progress be wasted. It all comes down to when he blinks and fires LJ. I am convinced that Johnson doesn't have it in him to turn this run around, his team selections and subs smack of panic and not clear thinking. Lets hope something happens before it gets too late, I'd be happy for it to be with Lee and prove me wrong. Just as long as we're successful .

As for the promotion, loved it and really got me excited for football again. As for the possibility of Div 3 next year, as I feel now I wouldn't get a season ticket , I would choose my games. Admittedly I'm more than a little pissed off right now and my mood may change, but right now it doesn't bear thinking about.

The problem is finding a manager who is tactically astute, able to motivate and man manage your typical selfish footballer and who will operate within the financial constraints that we face.  If you know of anyone who fits that bill I suggest you give SL a call.

3 hours ago, Malago said:

The problem is finding a manager who is tactically astute, able to motivate and man manage your typical selfish footballer and who will operate within the financial constraints that we face.  If you know of anyone who fits that bill I suggest you give SL a call.

Neil Warnock is that man

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

In our all time league table we are on or about at the bottom of the second tier.

In short, we should rejoice since we are currently punching above our weight. Maybe this is why SL is content to sit tight, for now!

Except that rarely in our history have we ever been so well placed to kick on and yet the opposite is happening.

I would n't like to be in SL's place right now, he wanted people to " respect Bristol sport " , well that's going well for the Rugby and the Football. We are a national joke but that's alright because we have a project and unlike other clubs who recognise when their manager/coach has lost it, we are decent and stand by as the ship goes down .

I like SL . I like LJ but I do not like the idea of another relegation struggle or yet another season in the " Boondocks " .

yours desperately ...

I won't go through this thread and name names but..

We are NOT in the bottom 3 (yet) and you appear to be willing to walk away from the club you supposedly love?

It is only 3 months, yes 3 months when you were all still glowing ( or should have been) from a remarkable double season with truly incredible nights like Bradford ( so few there you probably missed it) and days like Wembley and 8-2 v the same opposition; - this was one of the best seasons since 1975/76 Ffs. Then came the Pemberton / Weelee recovery act. Then came the most amazing  stadium. Then came one of the best young signings in our history (Tammy).

Now there is a bad run and you lot write this depressing trash. Think again boys

OTiB and we play at Ashton Gate

Get Real

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

I won't go through this thread and name names but..

We are NOT in the bottom 3 (yet) and you appear to be willing to walk away from the club you supposedly love?

It is only 3 months, yes 3 months when you were all still glowing ( or should have been) from a remarkable double season with truly incredible nights like Bradford ( so few there you probably missed it) and days like Wembley and 8-2 v the same opposition; - this was one of the best seasons since 1975/76 Ffs. Then came the Pemberton / Weelee recovery act. Then came the most amazing  stadium. Then came one of the best young signings in our history (Tammy).

Now there is a bad run and you lot write this depressing trash. Think again boys

OTiB and we play at Ashton Gate

Get Real

When your supposed leisure time makes you depressed, irritable and angry .

When you could be spending this leisure time with your family but devote more to your club .

When you are shelling out hundreds of pounds a season .

It's only natural that an intelligent person asks questions.

Is ' getting real ' blindly doing the same thing over and over again ? Or is ' getting real ' choosing to perhaps break the cycle ? 

For better or for worse I've supported this club for over 46 years and will always have an attachment to it . I will never walk away but as your time on this earth diminishes you perhaps become a bit more choosy how you spend what you have left .

I would not blame anyone who has lost the faith . 

Personally I'm an optimist and appreciate the good things that are happening at the club but frankly going back to the third division once again is not at all an attractive proposition and would represent a serious step back for the club .

Still they are lucky to have people like you Hampshire Red .

On 23 January 2017 at 14:22, Major Isewater said:

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under.  Say; the project is the project is the project, including relegation. It's P R O G R E S S. Three, two, one... You're back in the room.

40 years of following the club and rarely do we seem to have a season without drama. I didn't expect us to be challenging this season, or to be where we are now. Just wanted to have a feeling that we were gradually improving so that we may eventually challenge for our moment in the sun. In my time, we've seen the likes of Wigan, Hull, Bournemouth, Cardiff, swansea, swindon(yes, Swindon!) and Blackpool make it to the prem, with some of them reaching cup finals and even Europe. With the exception of Swansea, who may be about to rejoin us, none of those can be considered any bigger than us. It's about time we started to see some progress instead of the constant yoyoing between champ and lge 1.

Archived