IGNORED

Attractive purchase

Red Army 75

25 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well, as I've said in my last post on this thread, we've been historically a second tier/third tier club for nearly all our history, so that suggests there is an issue that is greater than Lansdown's competence or otherwise.

I brought up the attendance issue because it illustrates one of the problems that Bristol has. Even when City have been successful they've had relatively small crowds compared to many other places. I read on Otib today that when Sunderland were on their 15-game losing streak, their attendances averaged 37,000. Now I know we cannot physically accommodate that number, but would the Bristolian public ever show football that sort of support? I think not. 

I'm enjoying this debate mate. A welcome change on here. As to the attendance issue I accept that numbers weren't brilliant when we were in the First Division. West Country folk did not seem sports daft like they must be in Lancashire to have over 20 football League teams. But I would say that in contemporary times the situation would be different if we had Premiership football at Ashton Gate. There's more interest Nationally and Globally in the game and the profile of supporters has widened. SL has undoubted talent in this area and the Stadium changes are an impressive attraction for potential City fans He needs to continue by developing  the profile of the Club Nationally and not least in Bristol in overcoming the typical remark which goes something like "Bristol City? They've always been crap. I support Manchester United. Never been there but I support Manchester United" There's a meaty challenge for SL while Antonio is leading us up the Premiership Table.

PS. Across the country the public are frequently ill-informed or ignorant of Bristol's size and history. Years ago was talking to some QPR fans on a train journey. they could not understand how Bristol had two Clubs. They thought Bristol was some insignificant little town. As I said above why couldn't SL make it his huge responsibility to change the Nation's view of our city and of Bristol City? Enough of a job for anyone

Archived