IGNORED

Par

Red Finesse

I'm interested where my fellow sufferers see our 'Par' position amongst the leagues. In regards to under or over achieving.

Someone mentioned on another thread recently that they didn't really feel the excitement winning league 1 under SC. I have to say, I definitely shared their apathy as it was in my opinion only getting us back to square 1 or 'Par'.

For me, somewhere around 16th in the championship is our Par. This is the bare minimum and where for me the balance tips between over and under achieving.

What's yours?

14 minutes ago, Red Finesse said:

I'm interested where my fellow sufferers see our 'Par' position amongst the leagues. In regards to under or over achieving.

Someone mentioned on another thread recently that they didn't really feel the excitement winning league 1 under SC. I have to say, I definitely shared their apathy as it was in my opinion only getting us back to square 1 or 'Par'.

For me, somewhere around 16th in the championship is our Par. This is the bare minimum and where for me the balance tips between over and under achieving.

What's yours?

I think if you'd have asked me the season we got promoted to the Champ, then I'd have agreed with you. 

But now is different. Given the level of investment in the squad and Tammy (because he needs to be considered separately) I'd say par needs to be considerably higher. 

I think an averagely qualified coach in this league should be looking to finish about 7th as par for our squad. I really do think it's never been better. 

14 minutes ago, Red Finesse said:

What's yours?

''Twas I who you refer to , I know it sounded a bit like a spoilt kid to say it but it was true .

I would be happy as an established Championship side , like Ipswich, with the odd cup run , promotion or flirtation with the Playoffs but no more relegation threatened seasons or a return to the dark days of underachievement in the lower leagues, please Bob .

I've seen it all before and hate the thought of throwing away all the advantages we have with SL's fat wallet just to be exactly where we were before he came in to the club .

I feel that we are too big a club to be playing Gillingham, Scunny , Bury etc , No disrespect to them but they know their limits and we have so much more potential.

21 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

''Twas I who you refer to , I know it sounded a bit like a spoilt kid to say it but it was true .

I would be happy as an established Championship side , like Ipswich, with the odd cup run , promotion or flirtation with the Playoffs but no more relegation threatened seasons or a return to the dark days of underachievement in the lower leagues, please Bob .

I've seen it all before and hate the thought of throwing away all the advantages we have with SL's fat wallet just to be exactly where we were before he came in to the club .

I feel that we are too big a club to be playing Gillingham, Scunny , Bury etc , No disrespect to them but they know their limits and we have so much more potential.

Lets hope we don't return to league 1! We could still play Scunny next season though, I think their 2nd in league 1! 

25 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Couldn't agree more.

Get through the season without flirting with relegation was all I wanted back in august. Thought that wasn't too much to ask for!!! Some might see that as setting the bar low but I don't think we demand much respect or fear from other sides in the division.

Hopefully we can end the season well and I can revise my 'Par' upwards!

Par is surely our historical average of high end League One and low end Championship.

Now people may talk about the money, the stadium and the general structure...but clubs like e.g. Reading had a stadoum like this 20 years ago nearly. Probably further along with the structure than us- on the other hand, Burnley and Bournemouth are showing anything is possible and a ton of clubs have overtaken us since I started following in late 1998 so is hard to say. Midtable at this level?

After last seasons fiasco, and at the start of this, I was just hoping for improvement. I'm not desperate for instant sucess, just progress. A mid table finish would have been fine. Establish a new team and manager and get '3 Windows' done. 

Now I'd snap your hand off for mid-table. 

With this squad, stadium and our spending, I think Par really ought to be mid-table at least, with eyes on playoffs over next few seasons.

Its statements like Europa league in 5 years that irritate me. Fine to show ambition, but that's frankly rediculous. Happy to buy you all a pie and pint if I'm proved wrong!

5 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

After last seasons fiasco, and at the start of this, I was just hoping for improvement. I'm not desperate for instant sucess, just progress. A mid table finish would have been fine. Establish a new team and manager and get '3 Windows' done. 

With this squad, stadium and our spending, I think Par really ought to be mid-table at least, with eyes on playoffs over next few seasons.

Its statements like Europa league in 5 years that irritate me. Fine to show ambition, but that's frankly rediculous. Happy to buy you all a pie and pint if I'm proved wrong!

Progress ? This is Bristol City we are talking about

As most have said our average is really about where we are now. Pretty poor all things considered, especially after all of Mr Lansdown's investment over the past 20 years.

One play off final is our best achievement in that time. Sorry to say but we have become serial underachievers....

Not surprising no-one really respects us in this division!

Pretty sure that for 1996-2006 we were something like the fourth best team in the country in terms of win ratio. Maybe because of that I see our par as third place in the third division. I thought 46th in the pyramid actually was at one point our historic average. 

Would love it to be more, and agree with Fordy that with these players we should be higher.  But I think it's wrong to claim as a club that we are bigger than that. Yet...

Our position based on resources, facilities (which still need work I.e. Atyeo, Academy), catchment area (for players and fans) I think we should sit anywhere from 6th to 15th, with the lower end of that scale being more realistic. 

So for me, we are underachieving right now. Last season was different as the ground was the priority, hence our ability to make extra funds available was lesser.

15 hours ago, deadredfred said:

Some things never change. Well in some ways they have but in other respects...

As I recall, a Gatepost from 1998 the Wolves game, Benny's first home game pledged PL football with a European manager, probably get into Europe as well down the line...I wish I could dig it out but it was full of grand visions.

19 hours ago, Hellfire Corner said:

He's here he's there he's every *******where, Gordon Parr

He shoots, he's missed he must be ******* ******

Fantastic Player..real hard man.....took bites out of opposing players and didnt blink an eyelid and with Gordon Low at his side :chant6ez:

2 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Fantastic Player..real hard man.....took bites out of opposing players and didnt blink an eyelid and with Gordon Low at his side :chant6ez:

Agree, he was in the team when I first started watching City. We sang the song in an affectionate way after a foray into the opposition half ended with him shooting and the ball went out for a throw in. 

Archived