IGNORED

Points ultimatum? - SL to LJ

Sniper

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

If we continue losing for the rest of the season under LJ, the repercussions in attendances and advance season ticket sales will be catastrophic

The club may feel that season card sales will drop anyway in view of what has happened this season, and also the shiny new ground not being as shiny, plus if we did get relegated perhaps they bank on the team being top of league 1 and the crowd then being made up of POTD's so receipts balancing out.

Certainly I think it would be catastrophic, but then again, SL was shocked at how few rugby cards were sold despite the fact that to anyone who knew the game the squad was s hite and certain to go down as things stood at the time. Maybe he thinks everyone will continue to shell out and come regardless of where we are and perhaps he will be right.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't mean SL will be "happy or content" with a "respectable defeat. I was answering the OP's question of minimum targets. 

It would be harsh to base LJ's future on the result of one game V an in form team who are flying high. He'd have already got rid if that was the case. 

What we must NOT do is get any worse! 

I'm not sure any type of defeat can be classed as 'respectable' in our current situation.  

If we lose to Wednesday, then we've either;

- been spanked by a superior team = not respectable

- lost to the better side on the night = not respectable (either Wed are better than us or we didn't play well0

- lost, but deserved something in the balance of play = not respectable (you can do that a couple if times in between better results but not whilst you're 8 on the spin)

- lost, but it was individual errors either at the back or not taking chances = not respectable (same as above)

So I don't think any positives can be taken on Tuesday if we don't win or draw.  That's quite a bit of pressure if you consider relative league pisitions.

A while back (pre-Brighton I think) I said that as long as our home firm was decent, we'd be fine.  Mmmmm, that was the death knell wasn't it?

10 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yea really? Didn't effect us with sod and his run without wins

I think they dropped a fair bit when we were relegated, and expectations were pretty low by the time SOD took over at xmas we were bottom, so maybe it was felt he inherited a crock of shite and there was still some goodwill towards him otherwise they may have dropped more.

We are averaging about 18-19,000 aren't we? I doubt we would get more than our all conquering season 2 years back when I think we averaged about 13,000 so that's a lot of lost revenue.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think they dropped a fair bit when we were relegated, and expectations were pretty low by the time SOD took over at xmas we were bottom, so maybe it was felt he inherited a crock of shite and there was still some goodwill towards him otherwise they may have dropped more.

We are averaging about 18-19,000 aren't we? I doubt we would get more than our all conquering season 2 years back when I think we averaged about 13,000 so that's a lot of lost revenue.

We haven't avaeaged 18 - 19k before this season for about 60 years,

we avaraged about 14.5k before and 13.5k after x

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure any type of defeat can be classed as 'respectable' in our current situation.  

If we lose to Wednesday, then we've either;

- been spanked by a superior team = not respectable

- lost to the better side on the night = not respectable (either Wed are better than us or we didn't play well0

- lost, but deserved something in the balance of play = not respectable (you can do that a couple if times in between better results but not whilst you're 8 on the spin)

- lost, but it was individual errors either at the back or not taking chances = not respectable (same as above)

So I don't think any positives can be taken on Tuesday if we don't win or draw.  That's quite a bit of pressure if you consider relative league pisitions.

A while back (pre-Brighton I think) I said that as long as our home firm was decent, we'd be fine.  Mmmmm, that was the death knell wasn't it?

I'd disagree. 

Whats gone is gone. We can't change that now. 

IF we gave Wednesday a good game but lost by the odd goal, then I don't think that would be breaking point for SL. 

Yes, of course you can't pretend the last 8 games haven't happened, but they have. LJ is still the manager, we have to re-group, work hard and go again. From now. That can't be derailed by a narrow defeat to a team up the top of the table. 

What we can't do is cave in. Then it's on to Rotherham, were it will be final straw time, I'd guess. Especially with the other fixtures coming up. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd disagree. 

Whats gone is gone. We can't change that now. 

IF we gave Wednesday a good game but lost by the odd goal, then I don't think that would be breaking point for SL. 

Yes, of course you can't pretend the last 8 games haven't happened, but they have. LJ is still the manager, we have to re-group, work hard and go again. From now. That can't be derailed by a narrow defeat to a team up the top of the table. 

What we can't do is cave in. Then it's on to Rotherham, were it will be final straw time, I'd guess. Especially with the other fixtures coming up. 

Yeah, fair enough.  I wasn't suggesting 'not respectable' means breaking point, just that I can't see how any defeat can be seen as respectable at this point.

Assuming LJ makes it Rotherham, then any management replacement from that point will be working with the tools left for him.

For what it's worth, this run will end either Tuesday or Saturday....I just can't see us losing both and making it 10.  I'd love one 3 pointer in that, but we'll have to wait and see.

34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We haven't avaeaged 18 - 19k before this season for about 60 years,

we avaraged about 14.5k before and 13.5k after x

Yep my point being that if we went down we would be highly unlikely to get anywhere near our current average simply based upon what we got during our all conquering .league 1 season in 2015.

We did average better than 18,000 during our top flight days which was 40 years ago and I always thought they shaved the numbers back then !

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

If we continue losing for the rest of the season under LJ, the repercussions on attendances and advance season ticket sales will be catastrophic

If we continue losing for the rest of the season, so many fans will commit suicide there will be no one left to buy season tickets for next season.

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

Saw this online, wasn't sure which thread to put it in.... 

FB_IMG_1485546288095.jpg

Says it all really

Will need a massive change in fortune and neither the coach, owner, Board  or team captain (sorry delete that because no one knows who that might be tomorrow) seem to know what the problem is.

All we are left with is blind hope and little expectation

I am going to think positive and say we will pull a rabbit out the hat tomorrow and surprise everyone and beat Burnley albeit Burnley play a weakened team. This will inject much needed confidence to go on and beat Wednesday and Rotherham to cause a sea change in everyone's mentality and outlook on the rest of the season. Remember anything is possible in this strange game 

7 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I am going to think positive and say we will pull a rabbit out the hat tomorrow and surprise everyone and beat Burnley albeit Burnley play a weakened team. This will inject much needed confidence to go on and beat Wednesday and Rotherham to cause a sea change in everyone's mentality and outlook on the rest of the season. Remember anything is possible in this strange game 

I might do the lottery tomorrow for the first time in 8 years!!

4 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Yep my point being that if we went down we would be highly unlikely to get anywhere near our current average simply based upon what we got during our all conquering .league 1 season in 2015.

We did average better than 18,000 during our top flight days which was 40 years ago and I always thought they shaved the numbers back then !

We used to average mid to high 20s in the late 70s in the First Division. I still remember being stood so tight for the 38k against Liverpool when we had to win to stay up.

If we go down, crowds will drop significantly by 5000 or so I would suggest, unless season ticket prices also drop by a fair amount.

Clutching with both hands at the biggest bunch of straws ever - didn't GJ end his own horrendous run with a win at home in mid-week against a Huddersfield team who were at that point flying high, even winning performance of the week from a panel that included Sir Alex?

:pray:

Archived