IGNORED

Alex Ferguson

bs3

Listen to Twentyman yesterday, a City fan text the show who still think LJ should have more time, fair enough, no problem with  he is entitled to his opinion.

However he used Alex Ferguson time at Man U as a reason why we should keep LJ, claiming Ferguson took 5 years to get it right at Man U.

Can we lay this myth to bed and stop using as an example why managers should not be sacked.

Sir Alex took over in November 1986 United were 21st in the league, that season they finished 11th.

His 2nd season Man U were runners up in the Leauge .

His 3rd season United only finished 11th but the WON the FA Cup.

Fourth season they won the European Cup winners Cup( a major trophy back then)

1992 season they again were runners up in the Leauge .

1993 the won the Title the 1st time in 25 years.

So it was hardly 5 years of record breaking losing runs and dire football.

He also arrived at United with right to be given time considering his previous achievements, evidencing that he was a very good manager:

St Mirren
Aberdeen

LJ has no achievements whatsoever. 

Yeah, I was a little flabbergasted at that - comes up a lot, but proves very little, and there are no true parallels to compare the two.

I'd also contend that had Ferguson lost as many games on the bounce (even taking into account put cup replay won), then feel he'd have got the boot.

I hoped he'd look at Burnley as a potential to wrestle back the initiative, as was clear they'd play a second string team, but looks like he (maybe wisely, maybe not) saved certain players for the Wednesday game.  

At least it sounds like we gave a good account of ourselves for 45 mins yesterday; just hope enough of the players and/or the formation that helped with that survives, as we've seen so many formations and player selections this season it is hard to keep up.

LJ has a long way to go to earn comparisons with the likes of Ferguson, and I honestly don't think the comparison either flatters him or is helpful; just highlights the bad bits.

Archived