IGNORED

Contracts

formerly known as ivan

Simple question really... Why let a players contract run down until the last 6 months before offering a new deal?

I get it with bit part players but the scenario with Freeman, who has been a key player for is for two and a half years (whether you like him or not) is a joke and should have been sorted a long time ago.

A number of players signed new deals back in the summer. I don't remember anything regarding Freeman being offered a new deal at that time (may have been offered something behind the scenes but these things find a way of getting out).

So can you blame Freeman for wanting out when other players were being offered deals but he was left behind? Maybe he was told he had to earn a new contract and then got offered one but feels insulted by this?

Surely this comes down to basics though? Get your key players tied down to contracts!

2 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Simple question really... Why let a players contract run down until the last 6 months before offering a new deal?

I get it with bit part players but the scenario with Freeman, who has been a key player for is for two and a half years (whether you like him or not) is a joke and should have been sorted a long time ago.

A number of players signed new deals back in the summer. I don't remember anything regarding Freeman being offered a new deal at that time (may have been offered something behind the scenes but these things find a way of getting out).

So can you blame Freeman for wanting out when other players were being offered deals but he was left behind? Maybe he was told he had to earn a new contract and then got offered one but feels insulted by this?

Surely this comes down to basics though? Get your key players tied down to contracts!

We don't. Every other player that was running their contract down has signed a new one. Freeman obviously didn't want to sign one before.

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think LJ probably thought he didn't want to keep him then couldn't make his mind up, then decided he did want him. 

By which time, well, there wasn't much time left. 

Yep, exactly that.  Footballers are 'immature', they need to be loved.  I got the impression LJ wasn't over-fussed with Freeman, therefore no rush to offer him a new contract, when he had plans for other players - Paterson immediately, O'Dowda future.  Why lumber yourself with a player for 2 extra years.  In fairness to LJ, if that's his view of Freeman, then he was right to not offer him anything in the summer like he did with players he was sure about.

But Freeman, whether you rate him or not, forced his way into a regular start, and LJ changed his mind (which he's entitled to do so).  Freeman might be thinking, you had your chance in the summer, the window is about to open, I'll see what's about (which he's entitled too also).

QPR (maybe Ipswich) start sniffing around.

Freeman might be using their interest to get a better deal with City.  Maybe he;s made his mind up he'll go now or summer whatever.

In the meantime, LJ publicly announces Freeman won't feature whilst this drags on.  He says we've offered him a very very good deal.  We may we'll have, but maybe It isn't enough, or Freeman just doesn't want to stay.  We don't know LF's side do we.  All the talk us coming from the club (should be keeping schtum imho).

Saturday, Freeman not in the right mental state to play.  Again, all publicly by the club.  There will be very few, if any of us that think Freeman should be allowed to have a 'sickie', but the whole situation has been handled poor.

in reply to @JasonM88, pure conjecture on my part, but I wonder if all of those who signed extensions are wondering whether they made the right decision.  That's a bit bitchy of me, I know, but I've decided that I want LJ gone, so struggling to see many positives at all at the mo'.  Sorry!

Freeman should have been sold last summer. He was superb for us in League One and will forever be remembered for his role in that team. BUT he has been poor since being in the Championship and being played outwide. To me he seems overweight, does not have the pace to go past his man, has barely contributed any goals for an attacking player and has few assists for a creative player. Bearing in mind, I think he was the most creative player in League One he has not stepped up and I don't think will. To get 300K for him is better than nothing.....

He plainly was not in LJ's plans. We panicked and then offered him something belatedly - not really sure why we did. I think Little is also out of contract and will be another one who is shown the door and rightly so. We need to be progressing and I think it was time for him to go.

Thanks for the service Luke and goodluck!

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Hopefully all future contracts will have another year or so option written into them.

The option is not as straightforward as just add another year on.

I think it was Wes's dad who confirmed that the terms of the extra year are agreed at the outset (if such an option is put in  at all).  They won't necessarily always be written in the club's favour, nor the players.

For Wes and Bobby's, I think the deal was one that would give the club protection if they progressed whilst also giving us Comprnsation if they didn't sign the extension.  

For Wilbs, it was probably more on his terms...play x games get another year.  He maybe wanted a longer deal for protection at the outset, so this was a way of not having an ageing player stuck on our books.

Of course I have no idea on their contracts, just guesswork.

I bumped into dean Holden last week and asked him about offereing him a contract, claimed that the offer had been on the table before he arrived( which was like October I think?) so probably was offered it at the start of season. He probably had no intention of signing it then before all this stuff with qpr happened. 

Archived