IGNORED

Summer Signings

wheatus59

Most people seem to think what a great job Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson did in the summer with our new signings , but did they ?

1. Tammy  -  Superb signing

2. Tomlin   -   Love the man but being played out of position is criminal .

3. Patterson   -   Headless chicken , total waste of money .

4. O'wdada  -    Not ready for this level yet .

5. Moore   -   Not given a chance then loaned out .

6. Engvall   -   Not given a chance , serious doubts though .

7. Matthews   -  Unfit  , why sign him .

8. Ekstrand   - unfit  - waste of wages

9. O'neill   -   Is he better than what we have , yet to show it .

10.  Brownhill   -  showing promise , maybe ok .

11 . Hordur   -  Next best to Tammy , good buy .

So look again , was it good business , I tend to think not .

Moore, O'Dowda, Engvall, Brownhill and even Magnusson are more for seasons in the future. Rightly or wrongly, they weren't meant for this season. Train them, get them a few games and hope they become good players for us. Hordor has come in almost seamlessly and you won't get that every time. 

Tammy was an outstanding bit of business. No doubts there. Matthews at the end of last season was brilliant. Hasn't worked out this year. It happens. Be thankful the permanent deal didn't happen because with hindsight that have been much worse then. 

O'Neil and Tomlin have been the real disappointments when you consider wages and experience they have. Again with Tomlin like Matthews, could do little wrong last season and looked as sure a signing as any. It hasn't been as good as it should've been. O'Neil had a very good start but I think we burnt him out a bit. Should've been used in about half the games at his age. Was good signing on paper.

Ekstrand and Paterson I'll give you as a bit of a waste. Paterson being played out wide which he has done before but I think he's better behind the striker but we've got options there that means he doesn't play there enough. Always seemed a gamble from the start. Ekstrand well that totally hasn't worked out. 

All in all, I think we did some good business but may have focused too much attention on youth signings and now are playing catch up in January. I think too much focus is on price tags of the younger players. We must forget those for the time being. You may not think Bristol City are in a position to spend that on young squad players to develop and that a relevant concern. The people that make these decisions though, chiefly Steve Lansdown, thinks it's the best way to be competitive long term. I'm on board with that bit of club. Just think we got the mix wrong in the summer. 

4 minutes ago, wheatus59 said:

Most people seem to think what a great job Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson did in the summer with our new signings , but did they ?

1. Tammy  -  Superb signing - Agreed

2. Tomlin   -   Love the man but being played out of position is criminal . He's played in the same position as he was last season.  He's just not performed this - not the clubs fault.

3. Patterson   -   Headless chicken , total waste of money .  Jury out on JP for me...  shows it in flashes, but lacking consistency.

4. O'wdada  -    Not ready for this level yet . He wasn't signed to be a first team player immediately.

5. Moore   -   Not given a chance then loaned out . Has been given a chance, but as with O'Dowda not signed to make an immediate impact.  Games will do him the world of good.

6. Engvall   -   Not given a chance , serious doubts though . This is the one that confuses me.  It's true he's not been given a chance, but then that was always the intention anyway...but how can you have serious doubts over someone who hasn't been given a chance?  We've not seen a huge amount of him, but to be honest, what I've seen shows serious promise.

7. Matthews   -  Unfit  , why sign him . As with Tomlin, he was excellent for us in the run in last year.  If he'd got himself fit within a month of coming then we'd have been alright.  Fault lies with the player there.

8. Ekstrand   - unfit  - waste of wages  Was always only signed as cover and was initially declared a gamble because of his fitness.  Club were under no illusions there.

9. O'neill   -   Is he better than what we have , yet to show it .  I'd argue that before niggly injuries set in he was infinitely better than what we already had.  The club aren't fortune tellers!

10.  Brownhill   -  showing promise , maybe ok . An excellent signing.  Another one signed to break through in the second half of the season and that's what's happening.  With the exception of a couple of mistakes our management of Brownhill looks like it's paying off.

11 . Hordur   -  Next best to Tammy , good buy . Agreed.  Excellent kid.

It's all opinions though isn't it?  And in my opinion, yours is a little confusing to me.  I've commented my thoughts next to yours..

I'm sure there will be plenty of people with differing opinions to mine though. :)

22 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

The song 'what a waste of money' springs to mind....

Whereas I, perhaps showing my vintage, and my ease with my own masculinity, had:

"Summer signings, happened so fast......

Summer days, drifting away, oh.....

Tell me more, tell more, like does Tammy have a car......."

spring to mind. Oh, those (late) summer days.........

7 hours ago, wheatus59 said:

I posted the exact same thing a couple of months ago... Far too many signings that have failed to deliver for me. LJ seems to need a squad of 500, not that he could pick a stable winning 11 from them at the moment. If he turns it around in the net few games then I'll doff my cap. Can't see it happening though. Hope I (like most of us) am wrong.

7 hours ago, wheatus59 said:

1. Tammy  -  Superb signing Yes

2. Tomlin   -   Love the man but being played out of position is criminal . Last season amazing, still 2 years left on contract

3. Patterson   -   Headless chicken , total waste of money . Useless when in a losing side, very good when team playing well

4. O'wdada  -    Not ready for this level yet . Always knew he wasn't going to be 1st team starter

5. Moore   -   Not given a chance then loaned out . Same for Moore&, although most fans agreed they thought he was good enough

6. Engvall   -   Not given a chance , serious doubts though . Played very well against an experienced Hull side, hasn't been given a chance to have doubts let alone serious ones?

7. Matthews   -  Unfit  , why sign him . We wouldn't have signed him if we knew what he'd be like? Was great last year

8. Ekstrand   - unfit  - waste of wages Was always a risk & one the club openly said was a 'chance' signing

9. O'neill   -   Is he better than what we have , yet to show it . Played with injuries & ultimately it's clearly not helped him at all (he's not a nipper anymore)

10.  Brownhill   -  showing promise , maybe ok . Maybe ok? He's more than ok already & is only improving

11 . Hordur   -  Next best to Tammy , good buy . Yes

It's been half of a season & to look good in an LJ side would be tough for 99% of players, don't think we've done any bad business at all which is very surprising for any team let alone Bristol City.

What did you honestly expect them to be like? World beaters? Wolves just paid 13m for one player, we bought 15 for that.

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I posted the exact same thing a couple of months ago... Far too many signings that have failed to deliver for me. LJ seems to need a squad of 500, not that he could pick a stable winning 11 from them at the moment. If he turns it around in the net few games then I'll doff my cap. Can't see it happening though. Hope I (like most of us) am wrong.

Here's what I said "Summer 16 Recruitment" Dec 10 :

Much credit has been given on here to LJ and MA for a great summer recruitment campaign but when you compare the back end of last season and now, what has really changed?

As Tomlin and Matthews were here last season lets ignore them as they maintain the status quo. I'd also say the sale of JK and the incoming loan of TA as roughly balancing themselves out.

So, other than that?.... I'd have expected the other incoming players to have improved us but we seem not to have advanced. It looks to me that although we (thanks SL) spent quite a bit of money we have added just one regular in Magnusson. He's been a great addition and I think more accomplished than Baker whom he replaced.

But did we really buy Patterson, O'Dowda, Moore and Engvall for the future? Moore I accept but would like to see given more play time of after his impressive Hull game. The fact that none of them have managed to dislodge a regular is worrying. If we work on the premise that incoming players should improve us did we really get it right?

The back end of last season saw a quite settled side with Pack and Reid regulars in the starting line up. I'm fully behind LJ but for me not having a generally settled side is doing us no favours. Do any successful teams make so many changes in tactics and personnel week in week out? I say no. Find the best 11 and barring injuries, form and suspensions stick to it. Rather than advancing us I think the recruitment (good as it appears on paper) has just caused issues in tactics and starting line up (midfield in particular).

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Here's what I said "Summer 16 Recruitment" Dec 10 :

Much credit has been given on here to LJ and MA for a great summer recruitment campaign but when you compare the back end of last season and now, what has really changed?

As Tomlin and Matthews were here last season lets ignore them as they maintain the status quo. I'd also say the sale of JK and the incoming loan of TA as roughly balancing themselves out.

So, other than that?.... I'd have expected the other incoming players to have improved us but we seem not to have advanced. It looks to me that although we (thanks SL) spent quite a bit of money we have added just one regular in Magnusson. He's been a great addition and I think more accomplished than Baker whom he replaced.

But did we really buy Patterson, O'Dowda, Moore and Engvall for the future? Moore I accept but would like to see given more play time of after his impressive Hull game. The fact that none of them have managed to dislodge a regular is worrying. If we work on the premise that incoming players should improve us did we really get it right?

The back end of last season saw a quite settled side with Pack and Reid regulars in the starting line up. I'm fully behind LJ but for me not having a generally settled side is doing us no favours. Do any successful teams make so many changes in tactics and personnel week in week out? I say no. Find the best 11 and barring injuries, form and suspensions stick to it. Rather than advancing us I think the recruitment (good as it appears on paper) has just caused issues in tactics and starting line up (midfield in particular).

Yes. Also, Brownhill+Hegler have displaced Pack/Reid, Djuric for Wilbs, Wright is starting games too.

I know your original post is from pre-january 17 but you've now reposted it so i presume you still agree with what you've said?

8 hours ago, wheatus59 said:

I would say six of those are for the future but still I'd say 4 out of the 11 have doing well right now (Abraham, O'Neil, Magnussen and Brownhill) Tomlins done well when he's been in the right position, Paterson has been disappointing, O'Dowda has looked like a decent signing and should be hopefully be good in the future,q Moore when he's played he's done well and it still baffles me why he was doing punditry than being on that pitch vs Reading which is a shame bc he could be out future captain, Engvall looks like he'll do well in the future but OH doesn't seem to trust him, Matthews has been ok when he's played but again very injury prone and  Ekstrand has been released so beats Paterson to worse signing. So doesn't look too good for the present but I suppose time will tell with most of the signings.

I don't understand how people can bash MA. He's not part of the coaching staff, he's not a chief scout. Part of his job is negotiating potential new playing staff to Bristol City. Doesn't matter if it is Lionel Messi or Lionel Blair. 

If you want someone to blame for the "signings", blame the Head Coach, his coaching staff, and the scouting staff.

1 minute ago, Fiale said:

Players rarely improve here - we are like fuel stop between destinations.

To be fair, outside of youth/academy setups, how many clubs genuinely improve players as a regular thing? The nature of the footballer is largely transient. 

Certain clubs due to their financial status have no choice but to buy turds and hope to polish them. 

Many players improve or have a development spurt but is it necessarily down to the club, or just playing more games?

You could certainly make an argument for Flint improving under us. But it's likely just down to playing games and gaining experience rather than down to any amazing coaching and that's probably the same at most clubs.  

What worries me are some basic things that are too often missing, e.g. Good distribution by goalies, well planned and executed corners and free kicks.  Sure others can add to this list.  This has to reflect on the coaching, especially as LJ said we were concentrating on individual coaching.

Archived