IGNORED

Four more ?

Rocking Red Cyril

LJ has stated. On club site, there will four more signings two for first team and two for development side. So first point if done and registered by lunch time Tuesday can they play against Sheffield ? Point 2 , if the two first team players go straight in side that a lot of very recent signings in on side with other Jan signings, point 3, why would you sack LJ if you just given him the backing for all the Jan signings as these new players might not be in favour with a new manager ? And my last point for the moment why do we not stop moaning and just support the team I/we love.

COYR

3 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

LJ has stated. On club site, there will four more signings two for first team and two for development side. So first point if done and registered by lunch time Tuesday can they play against Sheffield ? Point 2 , if the two first team players go straight in side that a lot of very recent signings in on side with other Jan signings, point 3, why would you sack LJ if you just given him the backing for all the Jan signings as these new players might not be in favour with a new manager ? And my last point for the moment why do we not stop moaning and just support the team I/we love.

COYR

I'd rather see more points than players and the two figures are getting rather too close for my liking.  They're going to have to start printing the player's names on the front of the shirts as well as the back at this rate, just so Flint knows who to shout at.

It's a shambles and if we go down we're screwed, surely we must be overpaying for anyone if they're willing to join us now?

Our side is like someone playing Monopoly, today LJ could play his 'Get out of Jail Card' if we lose tonight and then Saturday he could then claim he needs a few more games for them to settle in, knowing the spin we get from AG. Sadly its a heads they win tails you lose. Some will say however that MA does the recruiting and is then down to the incumbent Head Coach. Well, we are Bristol City and we keep trying to reinvent the wheel so we will just have to be patient guys and gals and see what happens. I know I will be down there tonight giving my support to the boys in red against the other team I support hoping for a win for us. So lets hope for a positive week.:trumpet:

4 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

COYR

More for Euro FC or players with actual champ exp?

Signings are all very well and good but they have to be as good if not better than we have already or recently/about to depart, many have not been which is why we are where we are.

BCFC is a club, the team and manager are not very good atm and many of them weren't even here 5mins ago; they are all at sea and haven't a clue and are far from a "team" led by a manager who "is still learning" while we continue to pay while they do.

SL will not drop golden boy anytime soon, it will indeed "go to the wire" we can only hope there are 3 worse teams than us at the end.

As for tonight our season doesn't end tonight or Saturday, it is not the fans fault we are where we are, this club is far from where it should be and was a few months back, that is down to our leaders.

2 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

More for Euro FC or players with actual champ exp?

Signings are all very well and good but they have to be as good if not better than we have already or recently/about to depart, many have not been which is why we are where we are.

BCFC is a club, the team and manager are not very good atm and many of them weren't even here 5mins ago; they are all at sea and haven't a clue and are far from a "team" led by a manager who "is still learning" while we continue to pay while they do.

SL will not drop golden boy anytime soon, it will indeed "go to the wire" we can only hope there are 3 worse teams than us at the end.

On form there is not one team worse, let alone three!

We should have a full and competitive squad already. Expecting newcomers to instantly gel and reverse our slump is naive. 

We do lack a RB (our own fault) and a striker.

Are we inserting relegation clauses into these new contracts? I can't see half our squad hanging around if we get relegated, a few of which could move on for a decent fee. Is SL then viewing this as a financial fallback, which is why he seems unmoved on the very real threat of League 1 football?

5 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

COYR

I'm not sure about the clearance time required to play the game. 

But the thing is you back a manager to some extent to get out  a rut but LJ has been treated more favourably then anyone else before. 

My issue with this is that if we are to go down SL will come out saying the same thing last time we went down "we need to operate without my money" or "we can't spend that much in wages and now we have to get rid of 20 players to be able to work in Leauge 1"

I cannot understand why he needs to sign more players we are short in probably the RB area. However with how we ended last year I don't get how this has not allowed us to progress 

So overall I don't think the club had learnt it's lessons from the last relegation as it is repeating itself now.

I think we all hate moaning about it but it's because we are passionate and hate seeing us lose. Especially in our recent manner

14 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

We should have a full and competitive squad already. Expecting newcomers to instantly gel and reverse our slump is naive. 

We do lack a RB (our own fault) and a striker.

Are we inserting relegation clauses into these new contracts? I can't see half our squad hanging around if we get relegated, a few of which could move on for a decent fee. Is SL then viewing this as a financial fallback, which is why he seems unmoved on the very real threat of League 1 football?

I can confirm from a good source that we have got clauses in their contracts. 

If we go down they all get 5 year extensions :blink:

5 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

COYR

Think he stated that they were trying to bring in four more players. 

This is Mr Ashton's remit not Mr Johnson's. I believe we have built a strong squad so far which is very much underachieving and any new appointment would be in the head coach role and so would work with the squad given to them.

18 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Think he stated that they were trying to bring in four more players. 

This is Mr Ashton's remit not Mr Johnson's. I believe we have built a strong squad so far which is very much underachieving and any new appointment would be in the head coach role and so would work with the squad given to them.

So the conversation goes like this 'Hello player X, we need your Championship experience to come and play in a relegation scrap, we persuaded Tomlin to do so last year and he earnt hero status send a nice contract. Fancy it? Oh, and if things don't pick up soon we might change the Manager, which fair enough wasn't on the cards last year'

could work. :pray: :bonkers:

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

So the conversation goes like this 'Hello player X, we need your Championship experience to come and play in a relegation scrap, we persuaded Tomlin to do so last year and he earnt hero status send a nice contract. Fancy it? Oh, and if things don't pick up soon we might change the Manager, which fair enough wasn't on the cards last year'

I don't think we are in a relegation scrap. I for one have seen limited evidence of any scrapping...

6 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

COYR

Either its a clear message LJ stays whether we end in the National league, Or he has no say in player recruitment which might be why he doesn't pick a lot of them.?

While we keep churning players, like some kind of game of Roulette unless we really luck out with a crop we will get nowhere.

Nowhere.

I don't include the development squad or young players released in that assessment as a churn there is to be expected but the more you sign, the more you sell- in most cases it just gives manager more opportunity to tinker, more opportunity to mess up a good thing, more confusion caused by greater options.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I do hope the club are confident on getting the players in. The consequence of going public on our intentions is it will potentially create disappointment if we don't pull the signings off.

I think maybe they have managed to create a tiny little bit of disappointment already.......a bit more wont hurt.

Since last January permanent signings:

• Golbourne
  • O'Donnell
  • Brownhill
  • O'Neil
  • Tomlin
  • Magnusson
  • O'Dowda
  • Lucic
  • Moore
  • Paterson
  • Engvall
  • Ekstrand
  • Djuric
  • Hegeler
  • Wright

To say nothing of the loanees whether current or extended:

• Matthews (joined last season, extended this)
  • Tammy
  • Giefer

And yet how many of these have been a success? I know Johnson didn't sign Golbourne or O'Donnell but how many of these have been a success? I appreciate the youth factor and some are planned brought now for future gains and some only joined this month so jury is out but that's a damning list.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Since last January permanent signings:

• Golbourne
  • O'Donnell
  • Brownhill
  • O'Neil
  • Tomlin
  • Magnusson
  • O'Dowda
  • Lucic
  • Moore
  • Paterson
  • Engvall
  • Ekstrand
  • Djuric
  • Hegeler
  • Wright

To say nothing of the loanees whether current or extended:

• Matthews (joined last season, extended this)
  • Tammy
  • Giefer

And yet how many of these have been a success? I know Johnson didn't sign Golbourne or O'Donnell but how many of these have been a success? I appreciate the youth factor and some are planned brought now for future gains and some only joined this month so jury is out but that's a damning list.

Johnson inherited one of the smallest squads in the division. We now have a squad of 23 (24 when Taylor is confirmed). Considering this includes Korey Smith, Adam Matthews, and Gary O'Neil all of whom are only fit on months with an X in it, and Lloyd Kelly who has never played a first team game, we have not got masses of choice picking 18 for match days.

Just to put things in perspective, QPR have a first team squad of 34, Newcastle and Villa have 28.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Johnson inherited one of the smallest squads in the division. We now have a squad of 23 (24 when Taylor is confirmed). Considering this includes Korey Smith, Adam Matthews, and Gary O'Neil all of whom are only fit on months with an X in it, and Lloyd Kelly who has never played a first team game, we have not got masses of choice picking 18 for match days.

Just to put things in perspective, QPR have a first team squad of 34, Newcastle and Villa have 28.

My point is about the churn as much as anything, cannot build a cohesive unit like that.

I wonder what would have happened if back in the heady days of May 2015, we had kept the bulk of that squad- okay JET would move on, Elliott would retire that is fine and we replace them- but we keep Tavernier, we keep Cunningham, Kodjia still arrives as planned. Yes you buy 4 or loan 4 or 5 players but of quality mostly and one or two depth.

I maybe alone in this and maybe it's heart over head but I have some sort of belief that with less upheaval, with a much better summer 2015 that squad- or the bulk of iot anyway- could compete or have competed a hell of a lot better at this level. Tavernier and Cunningham would have been good replacements or backups for Little and Bryan, a replacement for Elliott, Kodjia and another quality striker after JET goes, Baker would have been on loan. Then you get in 2 or 3 players for depth...

QPR, Newcastle and Villa have all been mismanaged to varying levels and with the exception of Newcastle are doing far from well this season. Newcastle are but a club like that is always likely to be at the top of this League.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

My point is about the churn as much as anything, cannot build a cohesive unit like that.

I wonder what would have happened if back in the heady days of May 2015, we had kept the bulk of that squad- okay JET would move on, Elliott would retire that is fine and we replace them- but we keep Tavernier, we keep Cunningham, Kodjia still arrives as planned. Yes you buy 4 or loan 4 or 5 players but of quality mostly and one or two depth.

I maybe alone in this and maybe it's heart over head but I have some sort of belief that with less upheaval, with a much better summer 2015 that squad- or the bulk of iot anyway- could compete or have competed a hell of a lot better at this level. Tavernier and Cunningham would have been good replacements or backups for Little and Bryan, a replacement for Elliott, Kodjia and another quality striker after JET goes, Baker would have been on loan. Then you get in 2 or 3 players for depth...

We still have cack all depth. When you do those "pick the team for XXXX match" exercises, you realise you are recycling the same faces, some of whom you'd rather not recycle.

I think the Cunningham and Ayling sales were a mistake, although we don't have all the info, and if the players wanted to earn more elsewhere who knows, maybe not really the club's choice. JET was the definition of a luxury player, so difficult to fit into a formation, Freeman wanted to go, Wilbs obviously doesn't fancy being fourth choice striker.

The alternative to churn is to keep faith in a failing squad. Like Cotts did. :noexp:

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Hey, for x thousand pounds a week where do I sign?

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We still have cack all depth. When you do those "pick the team for XXXX match" exercises, you realise you are recycling the same faces, some of whom you'd rather not recycle.

I think the Cunningham and Ayling sales were a mistake, although we don't have all the info, and if the players wanted to earn more elsewhere who knows, maybe not really the club's choice. JET was the definition of a luxury player, so difficult to fit into a formation, Freeman wanted to go, Wilbs obviously doesn't fancy being fourth choice striker.

The alternative to churn is to keep faith in a failing squad. Like Cotts did. :noexp:

What about Tavernier- could he have done a job at Right Wing back that's in addition to Cunningham and Ayling sales being a mistake. Leeds may well have paid more than us, can't have seen Preston outbidding us wage rise but as you say who knows.

Yeah JET would have gone anyway, Wilbs too 4th choice not for him as you say.

I believe that squad was talented enough- not saying we would have gone straight up or anything- but was talented enough to build on for a good season and good coming seasons. Unless they were the ultimate Flat Track bullies in League One! 99 points and 90 odd goals is no joke, the long unbeaten runs likewise, the near run game v West Ham. They had talent, they had ability, cohesion- time was on their side but something went badly badly wrong that summer.

After that summer/early season, the die was set, things spiralled further and further down and everything since then, or most since then has been regaining lost ground I think, running from behind to stand still as opposed to moving forward properly.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe that squad was talented enough- not saying we would have gone straight up or anything- but was talented enough to build on for a good season and good coming seasons. Unless they were the ultimate Flat Track bullies in League One! 99 points and 90 odd goals is no joke, the long unbeaten runs likewise, the near run game v West Ham. They had talent, they had ability, cohesion- time was on their side but something went badly badly wrong that summer.

That's a rather rosy view, Mr P.  The highest they achieved was the league position now causing general consternation for us now.

Whether playing in a less predictable way would have got a few more points on the board is moot. We stormed L1 with a very small squad, we were extremely lucky with injuries and suspensions. Returning to my original point, Championship experience shows we need more options in every position.

I agree that throwing a lot of players together and expecting them to instantly gel is foolish, but Lee is only on about bringing two more senior squad players in - which is about right IMO.

Whether he'll use them wisely is another question. :whistle:

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's a rather rosy view, Mr P.  The highest they achieved was the league position now causing general consternation for us now.

Whether playing in a less predictable way would have got a few more points on the board is moot. We stormed L1 with a very small squad, we were extremely lucky with injuries and suspensions. Returning to my original point, Championship experience shows we need more options in every position.

I agree that throwing a lot of players together and expecting them to instantly gel is foolish, but Lee is only on about bringing two more senior squad players in - which is about right IMO.

Whether he'll use them wisely is another question. :whistle:

It may well be a rosy view and yes more depth was needed RR, a less prediictable way.

Yeah I agree about depth and about squad size- I remember getting the jitters frequently when I looked at the size of the squad and how dependent it was on 14, 15 core players that season. But that summer Tavernier, Cunningham, Elliott and JET out meant we were weakened. We were weakened in quality, we were weakened in depth. I am not suggesting Elliott should have stayed as a player, I am suggesting he was not replaced correctly and the same with JET. Tavernier certainly was not.

Okay let's have a hypothetical squad early season:

• Fielding
  • Tavernier
  • Little
  • Flint
  • Baker
  • Ayling
  • Williams
  • Bryan
  • Cunningham
  • Vitally needed Elliott replacement
  • Smith
  • Pack
  • Reid
  • Freeman
  • Wagstaff
  • An upgrade on JET
  • Kodjia
  • Agard
  • Wilbraham

Another striker is needed, a replacement for Elliott is needed yes.

One, maybe two backup keepers worthy of the name, and a couple of wingers. One more midfielder for depth. Oh and no Fredericks debacle where he signed then left again within a couple of weeks.

Subject to some good additional players for quality and quantity that squad should have been good enough IMO,

14 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I think he means X in Roman numerals,  which when I went to school (a long time ago) is 10 in new money, so X thousand is 10,000 a week.So unfortunately, not cheap.

You're probably right. I initially thought we have solved all our problems for a grand a week. First I was going to get the cheque book out, then decide if he can actually kick a ball or not, but that's just secondary I think.

10 hours ago, RedM said:

So the conversation goes like this 'Hello player X, we need your Championship  1st div non/league experience to come and play in a relegation scrap, we persuaded Tomlin to do so last year and he earnt hero status send a nice contract. Fancy it? Oh, and if things don't pick up soon we might change the Manager, which fair enough wasn't on the cards last year'

While our latest non-exp championship recruit is a poke in the eye to sagheads is he really much different to Agard? who we off loaded; we have already spent millions this season on non firing international forwards, is Mr Taylor really going to make much difference? will he get given more chances than our prev recruits.

Maybe I`m being to cynical and the dressing room will come good

Plavotic announced earlier for the development squad... and has now joined Cheltenham on loan (kinda).

Bristol City defender Tin Plavotic has signed a loan agreement with Cheltenham Town.

The 6ft 6 youngster signed for Bristol City earlier today and will continue to train with their U23s and play for them. Initially, he will only be considered for selection here at Cheltenham if there is an injury to our current defensive unit.

Cheltenham boss Gary Johnson commented, " It's a great bit of business by us. We're grateful to Bristol City for giving us the opportunity to use him when we need him."

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/2016-17/cheltenham-town-gary-johnson-tin-plavotic-3549244.aspx

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

While our latest non-exp championship recruit is a poke in the eye to sagheads is he really much different to Agard? who we off loaded; we have already spent millions this season on non firing international forwards, is Mr Taylor really going to make much difference? will he get given more chances than our prev recruits.

Maybe I`m being to cynical and the dressing room will come good

He's much better than Agard. Much more of a natural goalscorer. Our spend on him is pretty small, considering it's exactly what we got for Freeman who was out of contract soon. Yes, you are being too cynical.

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 08:06, Phileas Fogg said:

He's much better than Agard. Much more of a natural goalscorer. Our spend on him is pretty small, considering it's exactly what we got for Freeman who was out of contract soon. Yes, you are being too cynical.

In this league we don't know that, I remind you that 2 international forwards signed for millions have found great difficulty scoring in the championship.

Mind you that could be because we couldn't give them much service? all may not be lost however as the other temp signing who has come in hardly noticed; our old boy Cots, can certainly cross a ball and I believe he will be a much better investment and could well make all the difference at the end.

We should be more than capable of winning most of our home games from now on, at least, starting Sat, we must all ensure that happens and we stop the mistakes; by players and manager or there will be no-way back.

Archived