IGNORED

Do you remember Donnie Giles?

redysteadygo1

3 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

According to the Bristol Post in an article on transfers between City and Rovers he went from us to them!!!

Oh dear has Andy left yet?

It's Donnie Gillies. He went to Rovers following the relegation from Div 1 in 1980. Originally signed as a forward from Morton (he scored the famous winner at Leeds in the FA Cup in 1974) but later on was converted to a full-back.

59 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

According to the Bristol Post in an article on transfers between City and Rovers he went from us to them!!!

Oh dear has Andy left yet?

Yep, remember Donnie Giles well. In that classic team with Ritchie Toms and Jed Merrick!

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, remember Donnie Giles well. In that classic team with Ritchie Toms and Jed Merrick!

& going back a bit you will surely remember Pardon Gorr, Rickie Dooks, Kobby Ballard, Derrick 'interceptor' Jenson, among many more unforgettable faces from chairman Garry Holman's era.  Great everlasting memories indelibly clear in my mind seems like only yesterdaze. 

8 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

& going back a bit you will surely remember Pardon Gorr, Rickie Dooks, Kobby Ballard, Derrick 'interceptor' Jenson, among many more unforgettable faces from chairman Garry Holman's era.  Great everlasting memories indelibly clear in my mind seems like only yesterdaze. 

Good old Garry H. Preferred him to Steven Q. William Alan was alright, but I think David Scottson was out of his depth.

Just now, Swede said:

Donnie Gillies was one of my favourite players. Always gave 100%.

I used to drink with him fairly regularly until he moved nearer Castle Cary way.

A smashing chap. Donald - as he now is - always follows our club's highs and lows with a genuine interest. He told me his Ashton Gate days were the happiest time of his life.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I used to drink with him fairly regularly until he moved nearer Castle Cary way.

A smashing chap. Donald - as he now is - always follows our club's highs and lows with a genuine interest. He told me his Ashton Gate days were the happiest time of his life.

Yes I met him a few times in pubs in and around the triangle during the 90's and he is a lovely bloke, actually blushed when I said he was one of my childhood heroes. 

Donnie lives in Ditcheat, Somerset with his second wife, Louise. I often share a pint with him either in The Manor House Inn or The George, in Croscombe. Great bloke and modest about what a city legend he was, especially vs. Leeds United and Coventry City.

A lot of players played for both clubs in previous years - e g Trevour Jacobs, Ray Cashley, Tony Ford, Brian Williams, Barrie Mayer, Terry Cooper (who managed both clubs) etc. This never used to cause a fuss, but nowadays there seems to be a new breed of supporter who's more interesting in hating the opposition than supporting their own team 

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Sorry but that's a whooooosh for you.

Afraid  so Ashton Alf and the mistake has still not been corrected.

Although I am at the stage where the old memory starts to fade at times, as I go back to Bernie " Ginger " Peacock's day's,  it's funny I can remember most things  City related.

2 hours ago, yeojohn said:

Donnie lives in Ditcheat, Somerset with his second wife, Louise. I often share a pint with him either in The Manor House Inn or The George, in Croscombe. Great bloke and modest about what a city legend he was, especially vs. Leeds United and Coventry City.

Nice to hear that he is enjoying life.  His first wife, Ann, died at a tragically young age following a long spell in hospital.  He raised funding for a room at the RUH for relatives of long-term patients to use. Not sure if it's still there, but I used to read the gold plaque, "The Ann Gillies Room" everyday on my way through the hospital.

Always seemed like a lovely, down to earth bloke.

14 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Nice to hear that he is enjoying life.  His first wife, Ann, died at a tragically young age following a long spell in hospital.  He raised funding for a room at the RUH for relatives of long-term patients to use. Not sure if it's still there, but I used to read the gold plaque, "The Ann Gillies Room" everyday on my way through the hospital.

Always seemed like a lovely, down to earth bloke.

You're right, a lovely bloke, as a boy in the 70's collecting autographs with my mates him and Gerry Sweeney would always have time for a chat and kickabout in the Grandstand car park 

2 minutes ago, harrys said:

You're right, a lovely bloke, as a boy in the 70's collecting autographs with my mates him and Gerry Sweeney would always have time for a chat and kickabout in the Grandstand car park 

God I must be getting old!! As I recall the 2 players you mention and Norman Hunter kicking the ball about with fans in the car park. How times have changed......

He scored 3 goals that all made part of the club's history each in a different way.  As well as the FA cup winner at Elland Road, he scored the first City goal in the 1st Division at the Gate after an absence of 65 years of top flight football (1-1 v Stoke) and, the one the most important one was the equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Coventry which kept us in the top flight.  Around 10 minutes to spare, I wonder what happened after he scored?:cool: 

3 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Afraid  so Ashton Alf and the mistake has still not been corrected.

Although I am at the stage where the old memory starts to fade at times, as I go back to Bernie " Ginger " Peacock's day's,  it's funny I can remember most things  City related.

Ernie please. One of the great characters of my early years following City. Classic sending off for him and Rover's Jackie Pitt as they both connected with punches on each other at the same time. And then walked off the Eastville pitch with an arm over each others shoulder.

1 hour ago, bcfcmike said:

God I must be getting old!! As I recall the 2 players you mention and Norman Hunter kicking the ball about with fans in the car park. How times have changed......

Times have changed, but less so than the cars that now grace players car parks, anyone would be crazy to have a kickabout with a ball near them motors nowadays..... back in the seventies it was Mk 2 Cortina's etc not baby freaking Bentleys!

2 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

He scored 3 goals that all made part of the club's history each in a different way.  As well as the FA cup winner at Elland Road, he scored the first City goal in the 1st Division at the Gate after an absence of 65 years of top flight football (1-1 v Stoke) and, the one the most important one was the equaliser in the 2-2 draw at Coventry which kept us in the top flight.  Around 10 minutes to spare, I wonder what happened after he scored?:cool: 

Scored a scorcher up at Luton in early '73, his brother Steve was drinking with us lot after the game

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Ernie please. One of the great characters of my early years following City. Classic sending off for him and Rover's Jackie Pitt as they both connected with punches on each other at the same time. And then walked off the Eastville pitch with an arm over each others shoulder.

Sorry CA just going down the path of this thread by substituting a silly name. Remember well the characters and their antics of City and Rovers players of that era.

Archived