IGNORED

Reality check required........

Tipps69

While there are many who would prefer LJ to go & us to play all out attacking football & us to win 3-0 or more every game, unfortunately with us in our current predicament a win anyway possible is the order of the day!!

No game in this division is a gimme & no one has a god given right to beat anyone. That result today could prove invaluable, it could give the squad much needed confidence for the remainder of the season, a clean sheet (how long since we've had one of those in the league?) & 3 league points (how long has it been since we've gained them?). It gives us something to build on, as did the 2-2 draw against Wednesday in midweek, it's stopped the rot & I would take enough 1-0 wins over the rest of the season to see us clear of relegation over us playing attractive football & only coming away with a point or less!!

What we need is everyone pulling in the same direction & that direction needs to be everyone supporting each other to get a positive result & to drag us away from the relegation places. The sooner we achieve this the better but one things for sure, it's not going to be easy but it might be easier if the club has everyone's full support rather than people who would prefer us to lose just so they can say "I told you so" because that isn't helping anyone at the club at all!!

There's no guarantee that change will bring positive results, anybody brought into the club to manage things will need time to evaluate the players here & that's one thing we don't really have, time!! We need results to improve now (as they have done during the last week) & I believe continuity is what gives us our best chance to finish in a position that guarantees our Championship future & if come the summer SL decides there is someone better to take the club forward then I will trust his judgement but for now, I believe we are better off with someone who has a knowledge of the players at the club.

I'm sure we all want the same for the club we have supported for years & will continue to support for years regardless of the success or lack of it over the coming years, so let's get behind the club & support them!!

2 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

While there are many who would prefer LJ to go & us to play all out attacking football & us to win 3-0 or more every game, unfortunately with us in our current predicament a win anyway possible is the order of the day!!

No game in this division is a gimme & no one has a god given right to beat anyone. That result today could prove invaluable, it could give the squad much needed confidence for the remainder of the season, a clean sheet (how long since we've had one of those in the league?) & 3 league points (how long has it been since we've gained them?). It gives us something to build on, as did the 2-2 draw against Wednesday in midweek, it's stopped the rot & I would take enough 1-0 wins over the rest of the season to see us clear of relegation over us playing attractive football & only coming away with a point or less!!

What we need is everyone pulling in the same direction & that direction needs to be everyone supporting each other to get a positive result & to drag us away from the relegation places. The sooner we achieve this the better but one things for sure, it's not going to be easy but it might be easier if the club has everyone's full support rather than people who would prefer us to lose just so they can say "I told you so" because that isn't helping anyone at the club at all!!

There's no guarantee that change will bring positive results, anybody brought into the club to manage things will need time to evaluate the players here & that's one thing we don't really have, time!! We need results to improve now (as they have done during the last week) & I believe continuity is what gives us our best chance to finish in a position that guarantees our Championship future & if come the summer SL decides there is someone better to take the club forward then I will trust his judgement but for now, I believe we are better off with someone who has a knowledge of the players at the club.

I'm sure we all want the same for the club we have supported for years & will continue to support for years regardless of the success or lack of it over the coming years, so let's get behind the club & support them!!

We played rotherham the worst side in championship history....and we were dire. He should be sacked.

Just now, Londoner said:

We played rotherham the worst side in championship history....and we were dire. He should be sacked.

"The worst club in Championship history"!!

Are you sure about that? They are still fighting for their survival, they were never going to come here & just roll over & give us the points!! Football just doesn't work that way!!

2 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Undoubtedly the worse team in the division. Yes we didn't hit our straps but confidence is ultra low. 

No point in moaning LJ ain't going anywhere, I thought he should've gone after Forest, I'm more interested in us surviving rather than the soap opera of is he or isn't he gonna be sacked. 

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Exactly! They are bottom for a reason thats because they are shite and can anyone honestly say that we were much better. Johnson has signed 21 players, spent shed loads of money and we are in a relegation battle. Play one up front at home against the bottom club, It's no wonder he got the boo's at the half time whistle. Wish he would just disappear.

Here is the reality check me ol babs....

We won, we expected to, we had to. I say expected to win because Rotherham have only picked up 16 points all season, so yes we'd expect to win it. However, our performance was that of a bottom 3 side. We played dross and we performed badly and that is a massive massive worry. I know this is a win and for that I am relieved, but I am not going to happy clap it because we have quality in our team and we are not producing on the pitch. The formation from the start was mind boggling to say the least. We were playing Rotherham, ROTHERHAM, not Newcastle or Brighton, but 16 points all season 9 points adrift ROTHERHAM, relegation certainties ROTHERHAM. Let's put this into perspective. We played poorly against a bad side and limped over the line. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Tick Tock Johnson. You haven't got a scooby what you are doing, you are a blagger. Ta da. The sooner the better.

Prior to today Rotherham had played 14 away matches, drawn 1 and lost 13. For the first 60 minutes City were dire against them and it looked like they might nick a win with a goal on the break. 

Sometimes you have to look beyond the result and look at the bigger picture.  For City, this is League One next season unless there is some massive change. 

It has been obvious that Tammy isn't a target man and needs support. So LJ signs Djucic and doesn't start him against the worst team in the league. Has anyone any idea what the tactics were before the substitutions? To me it looked like 11 players who had never met each other before the match aimlessly running around a bit. City are only 3 points above a relegation position and have the same number of points as Burton Albion, a team with a transfer budget of approximate 25p. 

Come on Steve Lansdown, wake up and smell the coffee 

21 minutes ago, bristolborn_and_red said:

Exactly! They are bottom for a reason thats because they are shite and can anyone honestly say that we were much better. Johnson has signed 21 players, spent shed loads of money and we are in a relegation battle. Play one up front at home against the bottom club, It's no wonder he got the boo's at the half time whistle. Wish he would just disappear.

22 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

We won, we expected to, we had to. I say expected to win because Rotherham have only picked up 16 points all season, so yes we'd expect to win it. However, our performance was that of a bottom 3 side. We played dross and we performed badly and that is a massive massive worry. I know this is a win and for that I am relieved, but I am not going to happy clap it because we have quality in our team and we are not producing on the pitch. The formation from the start was mind boggling to say the least. We were playing Rotherham, ROTHERHAM, not Newcastle or Brighton, but 16 points all season 9 points adrift ROTHERHAM, relegation certainties ROTHERHAM. Let's put this into perspective. We played poorly against a bad side and limped over the line. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Tick Tock Johnson. You haven't got a scooby what you are doing, you are a blagger. Ta da. The sooner the better.

16 minutes ago, Der no.2 said:

You always have to be optimistic, but at the same time realistic.

Take your point about "knowing the players", however you have to get the best out of them & play them in a thought out postional strategy - we have not been getting this right so far, simple as.

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Prior to today Rotherham had played 14 away matches, drawn 1 and lost 13. For the first 60 minutes City were dire against them and it looked like they might nick a win with a goal on the break. 

Sometimes you have to look beyond the result and look at the bigger picture.  For City, this is League One next season unless there is some massive change. 

It has been obvious that Tammy isn't a target man and needs support. So LJ signs Djucic and doesn't start him against the worst team in the league. Has anyone any idea what the tactics were before the substitutions? To me it looked like 11 players who had never met each other before the match aimlessly running around a bit. City are only 3 points above a relegation position and have the same number of points as Burton Albion, a team with a transfer budget of approximate 25p. 

Come on Steve Lansdown, wake up and smell the coffee 

Birmingham replaced Rowett (who was doing fine) with Zola (who has done nothing managerially in the past) & he managed to win today for the first time in 11 games against a team that were down to 10 men!!

There is no guarantee that a change of head coach / manager is going to bring you success!!

Back in the summer & the start of this season everyone was over the moon with the job LJ was doing, there is no magic wand to guarantee success & no one deserves success, you have to work at it & earn it!!

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

Birmingham replaced Rowett (who was doing fine) with Zola (who has done nothing managerially in the past) & he managed to win today for the first time in 11 games against a team that were down to 10 men!!

There is no guarantee that a change of head coach / manager is going to bring you success!!

Back in the summer & the start of this season everyone was over the moon with the job LJ was doing, there is no magic wand to guarantee success & no one deserves success, you have to work at it & earn it!!

My nan has more tactical awareness than Lee Johnson. Christ, even our mum would go two up top against Rotherham. He is utterly clueless. Anyone could pick a side and do better than Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I wasn't over the moon with the job LJ was doing at the start of the season. City often played poorly but Tammy's goals got us out of jail. It was obvious that this couldn't last, and it hasn't. 

All true but today we were awful and it was a lucky win which glosses over some Mjr problems. Rotherham were shite - worse team I have seen this season  and in complete contrast to last season.... The fact remains LJ does not know his best system or 11... how can we expect to establish any pattern of play with so many changes.Having said that.....

Little and Bryan must come out of the side for me...hopefully Matthews is fit next week and I would bring in Odowda for Bryan. Then it is just a case of rotating our forward players....Djuric and Taylor looked more threatening that Tomlin and Tammy....

4 tough games coming up.... We will need to get something from them - 4 points...

Rotherham have beaten Norwich, QPR and Wigan recently. Two of those we lost to and Wigan would've been a similar game. Jut because they haven't had a great return doesn't mean they aren't a capable side. No, they didn't have much quality going forward but were well organised and tough. No win in this league is easy and they didn't make it any easier. Give them some credit for today's dire performance. Stop finding negatives to throw at the club. 4 points from 6 was a great return in these two games. Now they can play free in these next few away games and I'm quite sure we'll get a decent result or two

Why should we give them credit for a dire performance.They were awful and so were we.I'm bloody overjoyed we got the result and it's all that really matters in our situation but the performance was shockingly bad.We play like a team that has no plan whatsoever.The first half was a shambles,slow ponderous build up and no movement off the ball meaning we were constantly going backwards.Do they really train to play like this?Like I said overjoyed with 3 points but we need to up our game if we want to stay in this league.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

We won and it will show that in the table. I couldn't give a damn if we were dire for the next 4 games also as long as we won 1-0 and I dare say the majority would agree. You don't improve your league position by playing pretty football you do it by winning games and accumulating points

11 minutes ago, INCRED said:

We won and it will show that in the table. I couldn't give a damn if we were dire for the next 4 games also as long as we won 1-0 and I dare say the majority would agree. You don't improve your league position by playing pretty football you do it by winning games and accumulating points

And.......if we win the next 4 playing like that I would be delighted,but do you really think that's possible?

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

What was mind boggling about a 4411 or 4231 depending on how you look at it?

Dont disagree about Johnson, we are allowing an apprentice to manage the factory without any supervisor.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What was mind boggling about a 4411 or 4231 depending on how you look at it?

Dont disagree about Johnson, we are allowing an apprentice to manage the factory without any supervisor.

One out and out striker against dross at home.

13 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Rotherham have beaten Norwich, QPR and Wigan recently. 

Not away from home though.

There their record is played 15, lost 14 with a solitary draw at Ipswich. Londoner is partially right, they are on course to have the worst away record in Championship history.

I am pleased we won, I am also convinced the bloke in charge of us is taking us down.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who would you have started alongside Tammy out of interest? And where would you have played Tomlin?

Please answer without the benefit of hindsight!!!

I would have played Djuric up front alongside Tammy and would have sat Tomlin just behind them, but only after the way Tomlin played in the week. I am not a fan this season, he isn't the player he was last season. I would have had Tomlin off at half time if we weren't in front after 45 minutes. 

I just wish LJ would set us up to be more aggressive from the start. Rotherham at home, why not start with 2 up top and with Paterson and Cotterill and take the game by the scruff of the neck and really have a go at them. 

Every game we lost in the terrible run was by 1 goal! Just have a go at teams and impose our football on them rather than letting their system and tactics dictate our style of play. If we had been more aggressive / taken more risks during that run I'm sure we'd have won and drawn a few and while this may have given us a couple of spankings too, personally I'd be much happier with that approach. 

15 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

My nan has more tactical awareness than Lee Johnson. Christ, even our mum would go two up top against Rotherham. He is utterly clueless. Anyone could pick a side and do better than Johnson.

Did you really mean too say this?

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not away from home though.

There their record is played 15, lost 14 with a solitary draw at Ipswich. Londoner is partially right, they are on course to have the worst away record in Championship history.

I am pleased we won, I am also convinced the bloke in charge of us is taking us down.

True but I wanted to point out they do have some quality and are capable on their day. No games in this league are easy and we've been poor yet the expectation from many on here was to destroy them. Personally, I just don't get that. We had 13 shots and 5 on target so not as if we weren't capable of creating half chances. I think Rotherham contained us as they've been training to do for months now as they have known they'll have to grind out results. 

As far as the manager, he went with a mostly unchanged side that took a top 6 team to the wire. Then when it wasn't working as much made 3 changes and gave them a half hour not 15 minutes to change the game which they did. I don't see how he can be criticised as he has after the performance. I hope he sticks with the formation in these next few road games as well as I think we'll need the solid midfield. It is dependent on the player behind the striker to play well though. 

Archived