IGNORED

Magnússon

Davefevs

There could literally be dozens of different reasons for this. 

Maybe he's dropped his intensity in training, maybe he's mentally fatigued from what has already been an intense season with lots of games for him and his manager is being clever in taking him out of the spotlight for a while, maybe LJ believes Flint and Bailey are just a better partnership for what we need in central defence right now.

The sad part is this is always a self-perpetuating cycle. A player is out of the team and will build up an increasingly exaggerated feeling from some supporters regarding his ability. This will ultimately lead to him falling short of their expectations when he gets back into the side, leading to criticism.

We some depth in our squad and players will have to bide their time on occasion. I'm sure Hordur is a great professional and will be working hard on the training ground to put himself in contention again soon.

Quite frankly, arguing that dropping HM and having Zak Vyner on the bench instead 'sums it up about LJ' is an embarrassing point. If Vyner has worked hard enough to be included in the squad then he deserves to be there, regardless of how much other players cost.

You have the best and most consistent defender not in the 18 man team ( by the way Baiiey has been superb and Flint should be out ). We also have our most experienced midfielder and best CM in GON and skipper not in 18 man squad but it's ok we got Pack!

Johnson= Clueless and we are in serious serious trouble 

11 hours ago, Bbbppp said:

The only way Mags can play is if he plays left side of a back 3 imo. Anyone else like to see this team at home, very attacking. Away from home obviously one up top is better, especially with the away games we have coming up..:facepalm:

Giefer
        Wright Flint Magnusson
  Cotterill Hegeler Brownhill Bryan
                    Tomlin
          Djuric/Tammy, Taylor

Yes could see that working. Wright looks even better on the right side; that back 3 would be well balanced. Not sure how often Cotterill has played wing back though.

I agree re playing Taylor as his movement alone will create space for others. I'd start him with Djuric and give Tammy a break. I would also play Brownhill for his additional mobility. Hegeler looked out of sorts yesterday (perhaps tired). Pack and GON are options there. Paterson or Reid are options in the Tomlin role. 

However, I have said before that I do think we do need to go with a settled formation for a while, at least from the start of matches, to build some certainty for the players. If that is best served by a back 4, I can live with that. 

6 hours ago, spudski said:

He played left of a back three when he joined us and didn't look out of place...plus we had Bryan who could slot into LB if Golbourne was injured. I can understand the squad we had yesterday...but would have started with Duric and Tammy up top.

Exactly what I thought would happen, although at least he started Cotterill. It says much about the mental state of the head coach in giving Rotherham that much respect. A much too conservative approach, and possibly a consequence of not wanting to drop Tomlin out (I don't see him playing 2 strikers + Tomlin from the start.)?

However If we'd have been a little more adventurous with the starting line up then LJ might not have found himself betting the house on red 12, 20, and 22 for the final half an hour of the game. I'm glad he did, just not in the circumstance that led up to it.

Archived