IGNORED

LJ in a Nutshell?

Red Cloud

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

IMO he's over thinking everything and trying to change the set up to counter punch opponents which can translate as a lack of confidence.  He spends too much effort trying to be a footballing intellectual and is over complicating matters.

We need a consistently selected back four (or five) and central midfield pair so they can develop as a solid unit.  

You can mess around with the front 3/4 a bit and get away with it but it's soft goals usually from wingers exploiting weak full backs that are killing us and you won't fix that by messing about with the formation and selection all the time.

It's also concerning (and will be concerning to the players) that sometimes they get suddenly yanked out of the XI and not even put on the bench.  People need to know where they fit and feel secure to perform to their top level and exiling players for a while then pulling them back in is counter productive.

In terms of replacing him I think the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that SL is wedded to the idea of Mark Ashton as DoF, so choice is limited to "promising young coaches" who will work in that structure.  I don't have too much of a problem with that because the signings have been good and it's seemed more organised but we need better management of the first XI.

I think we'll probably stay up purely because two of the three relegation slots are already nailed on, but we're not going to progress much unless we either change the coach or he has some kind of back to basics epiphany.

There is a lot in this. I am just not sure about relegation. Rotherham nailed on for sure, but Wigan need a result and they are on terms with Blackburn and Burton seem to keep getting something when they really need it.

We need something from four away games. Four points really is the requirement.

What concerns me most is the money spent to compete with the Burtons and the Rotherhams.

The Engval signing now seems like a massive error among so many both on and off the field!

My personal opinion is that he is a good coach...from what we hear the training sessions and methods are good.

What I don't see though is someone who is able to manage a team, you know, someone who can motivate the lads to get the best out of them. He isn't the type of person to put an arm around Tomlin and massage his ego...it just seems he tries to 'kick them up the backside' or manage them all in the 'same way'. Managing the different talents and personalities is an art in itself.

I have no doubts that he can create a sound technical plan and identifies tactics to win games but he isn't able to 'get his message' across in a concise, simple manner which inspires them. From what I see they are often confused and not sure which way they should turn. 

4 minutes ago, WestonRobin said:

My personal opinion is that he is a good coach...from what we hear the training sessions and methods are good.

What I don't see though is someone who is able to manage a team, you know, someone who can motivate the lads to get the best out of them. He isn't the type of person to put an arm around Tomlin and massage his ego...it just seems he tries to 'kick them up the backside' or manage them all in the 'same way'. Managing the different talents and personalities is an art in itself.

I have no doubts that he can create a sound technical plan and identifies tactics to win games but he isn't able to 'get his message' across in a concise, simple manner which inspires them. From what I see they are often confused and not sure which way they should turn. 

Genuine Q Weston

Where do you get that from ( I've not heard comment about training so certainly not going to argue against what you say - just interested)

My judgement is alleged players opinions and what I witness at AG

For example I'm not sure there's a player who has improved through coaching since they've been here , if I'm honest

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Genuine Q Weston

Where do you get that from ( I've not heard comment about training so certainly not going to argue against what you say - just interested)

My judgement is alleged players opinions and what I witness at AG

For example I'm not sure there's a player who has improved through coaching since they've been here , if I'm honest

A few places - some media reports (can't remember the exact articles but one from Paterson definitely springs to mind) a few brief chats with some of the players and a contact who is close to the club.

Wouldnt you say Kodjia improved during his time at City? Certainly knew where the back of the net was when he arrived but was very much head down at first...his all round team game improved during his time at City (in my opinion)

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Again, we saw the weakness in coaching yesterday. 

Defenders don't know who they are supposed to be marking, players are static off the ball, and as for the throw ins :facepalm:

Throw ins are always a pet peeve of mine. Other teams seem to have well-worked out routines.  We might as well just throw the ball directly at an opponent.  No one seems to know what to do at them,  and we end up losing possession time and time again.

Read my posts on the Cardif game.

5 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

Awful player? you are clueless. Yet another bullsh**t personal attack.

He wasnt great. But what he has brought to our team as the coach, is his pretty tippy tappy sideways shite passing. 

He was feeble in a tackle and powder puff with everything else. 

Unfortunately his traits on playing are coming out in his coaching of our team. 

Slow, sideways backwards passing. Pedestrian. We tackle like he did ( he didnt!), and i just cant see how theres a way ahead with him as coach. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Read my posts on the Cardif game.

I remember them, Dave.

To be fair to Johnson, throw ins have been terrible for us for years and years. God knows why. It just seems something we obviously never practise, but other sides do. Why concede possession so cheaply?! :grr:

Archived